PDA

View Full Version : could it be the intake gasket?

lilsticcup
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
ok so i havent noticed any signs in the cars performance but that is because i just bought the car so i may still not know when the car is running nicely. so i bought this supra and the guy tells me it has a bad intake gasket. so would this be why there is a very thin stream of black smoke coming from the muffler, its not alot but enough to burn your eyes when looking in the trunk. also is this why my rpms stay at like 1200 and sometimes drop and raise unexpectedly. i wanted to know before i put the intake back together so i dont end up having to take it back apart

celicaSThelpme
09-14-2008, 11:10 PM
sounds to me like a lose vaccume hose

but im no expert

extremeskillz
09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Your valve seals may be leaking lightly. From the sounds of it it may have just started. You will need to change these seals but might as well do a head rebuild while your at it.

Ryan
09-15-2008, 02:25 AM
take carb cleaner and spray around where the intake mani meets up to the head, also try spraying it on vacuum hoses and around the t.b. if it boggs down when doing this or it dies then you will know if you have a bad intake gasket, vacuum hoses or t.b. gasket

lilsticcup
09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
well i changed out the intake gaskets, i did a very shitty job because it got a little stressful toward the end but i did a better job than how it was before, so i will try to run it like that till i can afford a mechanic to change it all, including the head gasket.

Ryan
09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
if you changed it and didnt do a good job it could still be leaking

ciento44
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Valve seals wouldn't make black smoke.

And they shouldn't affect idle like he's experiencing.

Do what 92-GT suggested and see if the gasket is leaking or not.

Black smoke means it's running rich.