PDA

View Full Version : Rust and Paint

Baffles
09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
So, I have a few small rust spots on my car. I was going to grind/sand the rusted areas away and fill it in/prime/paint it. The only problem is, I don't know the best technique to do this and have the paint match up. I have a red 90 GT, so how do I go about sourcing paint to repaint the area, and how do I blend it?

Also, the paint on the car is pretty oxidized. It looks real nice when it's wet, but otherwise just looks dull and icky. Will this be reparable? What's the best thing to do for it, just use some cutting cream then a good waxing? Recommendations for cream/wax to use?

Ryan
09-14-2008, 01:36 AM
grind it down, use rust inhibitor, fill it, sand it to fit the contour, prime it, then take it somewhere like napa and have em color match it. they have a tool that can match your paint perfectly

Baffles
09-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Should I deal with the oxidation on the paint before I deal with rust/go someplace like napa?

Ryan
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
try using a cleaner wax or clay bar..

Baffles
09-19-2008, 01:58 AM
Should the ox be dealt with before or after the rust is dealt with? I don't know if it makes a difference in blending the paint in or not.

Ryan
09-19-2008, 02:43 AM
i would try waxing it first that way the paint matches good..or just find a spot that doesnt have oxidation

Galcobar
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
If you remove the oxidation and keep it gone (regular polishes and proper waxing), then match the paint after you get rid of the oxidation.

If, on the other hand, you know you won't be hitting the car with an abrasive polish twice a year or will not keep a solid coat of wax on it at all times, match the oxidised paint.

Baffles
10-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Slider
10-20-2008, 03:19 AM
As 92-gt said use rust inhibitor, this is a must. If you don't use it the rust will show its ugly face again soon. I sanded the area down to bare metal then hit it with primer, base, and clear only for the paint to start bubbling a year down the road and rust shows its ugly face once again. This time I used POR-15 and topcoated it, so far so good, the real test will be the winter though.