PDA

View Full Version : Serious Oversteer doing weight transfer?

Fox 21 Alpha
09-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a 83 Celica ST 5spd with about 192000 miles on it. Never really raced it, dragged at a stop like maybe like 3 times, and did some parking lot drifting now and then, mostly when its wet out. The car does not have power steering, its rack and pinion. Which when it spins out (which happens more then you'd think), I can ussually control the spin, but just can't move the wheel fast enough to recover and keep going without stopping.

My question however is I seem to notice a serious oversteering sometimes. It happens when the ground has less traction (gravel, serious rain, dirt, ect), doing a big weight transfer (hard acceleration, drifting, really tight corners ect). I understand all these would make the wheels much easier to turn compared to normal road conditions. However, it does it to such a extent I feel like the wheel is almost hitting the inside of the well, even though its not. It moves way faster then Im used to, even more so then a power steering car.

Now I wouldn't normally be worried, but I've noticed it will turn so sharply, so fast, that the wheel will be so sideways that the wheel will start jumping from being so sideways while the rear wheels are trying to push it forward. This is especially true in drifting, as my front tires have about half inch wide gouges on the outside that get more shallow as they run in, from my first few times drifting. I've since less steered much less, but even still it will happen unexpectedly. All in all, it is still unpredictable, and will happen at other moments you would expect, and not during ones you would necessarily.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is normal, and if anyone else has experienced this. If someone could actually pin down what is going on also, that would help out, if its indeed the weight/surface, or something else mechcanical I'm not thinking of or such. Its just odd how it goes from its normal toughness to pretty much feather light, and the wheels seem to turn so much further even though I'm not turning the steering wheel normally as much. Thanks

T-spoon
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I imagine it has to do with all the force wanting to push the car forward, but the front tires are also trying to stay in contact with the road, so the only thing for them to do is turn to the stops.

KoreanJoey
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Stiffen the front suspension, check if your front shocks are blown. Or stop driving like an idiot.