PDA

View Full Version : IS300 or my 5th Gen

wrongboy
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
My dad called me out of the blue yesterday while I was at work. He said he was checking the value of his IS300 because he might be selling it next month. Its a 2001 auto, forest green with tan leather, 91,xxx on the clock and pretty much been babied its whole life... except when he let me drive it :D So anyway, he offers it to me for about $7500, and would, for all intents and purposes, be my finance company so I can pay it off over time. Anyway, I have about a 50% down payment, but that pretty much empties my savings account. I have a 1990 GT in great condition ('cept the grind into 2nd) that I would have to sell :( There is no way that I can afford two cars. Things like gas and such aren't really an issue because I only drive about 50 miles a week. I am torn, because I would love to have the IS, but is it worth spoiling my meager savings and giving up the Celica? Opinions.

Also, 1990 Celica GT coupe white, 149,xxx miles, with Alltrac hood, 2000 GTS wheels - tires have less than 1500 miles, Eibach Sportlines and KYB shocks, TWM Short Shifter - feeler... Car is located in Chicago - pics to follow soon.

Discuss.

Hiko
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Why are all these car threads ending up in OT?

But as to the question, if your celica is a manual, I would personally keep it. I could not stand driving an automatic for any length of time.

But with that said, the IS is 11 years newer, rwd, with 90 more horsepower. For the price and the finance situation, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

T-spoon
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Why are all these car threads ending up in OT?

But as to the question, if your celica is a manual, I would personally keep it. I could not stand driving an automatic for any length of time.

But with that said, the IS is 11 years newer, rwd, with 90 more horsepower. For the price and the finance situation, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

:stupid: Another thing to consider is that although the lexus is a lot newer and most likely in better condition, any service that it does end up needing is going to be more expensive. Lexus parts are almost without exception a good bit pricier than their Toyota counterparts, even when they're identical (IE, camry shocks vs ES300 shocks). If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. You know your situation better than we do though.

Slider
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
That is a hell of a deal but it's auto and I wouldn't spend all my savings on it. If your Celica is reliable just keep it. You never know when you will need the money.

geebes
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Those things are bad ass, its really up to you. Celica is sweet and paid off, is300 is really sweet and a good deal, but you will have to pay on it. Do you want payments is the real question.

Colossus20v
09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
It is a hell of a deal, however if it is not something exactly you want then you shouldnt do it. I am looking for an IS and want one more than the new IS250 and IS350, but it has to be a manual. So its been hard to find one exactly the way I want it.

Dont just buy the car and get rid of the car you really enjoy. Its not worth it then.

wrongboy
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
If I buy an IS, can I still hang out? Man this is tough, I have been driving a 5th gen of some sort for almost 13 years. I love them.
I know about the parts issue, but I would probably take the same road with the IS that I took with the Celica, upgrade as replacement is needed, so pricey parts are part of the game. Ideally I would only be paying off ~$3500 over a time period I determine with my pops. aaaarghh, so tough decision! As for the whole manual v. auto thing, as much as I love the manual, its a real pain in the ass because all my driving is on surface street in the city of Chicago, which basically means that every two blocks or so, stop sign or light. It gets old. Anyway, please keep the comments coming, this is great!

ciento44
09-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Autotragic.

'nuff said.

donteatbugs
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
i buy it. but i would also convert it to manual sometime. which would be a lot of work and money but i think an r154 would do some good behind one of those.