PDA

View Full Version : engine damper

Uncrck2
09-12-2008, 03:53 AM
So what do u guys think of them and are there any available for a 90 celica gt or can a universal be mounted easly some where.

T-spoon
09-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Sorry, but no idea what you're talking about. There are lots of dampers in a car already.

Uncrck2
09-12-2008, 03:57 AM
An engine damper their isnt one stock it reduces vibration and increases overall stiffness in engine bay

MCcelica
09-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Are you by chance talking about engine mounts? In which case there are stock ones...

lburner
09-12-2008, 04:54 AM
nope not available. u would need to get a universal and fab... something up

Galcobar
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
He's referring to a piece of equipment that's basically a shock for the engine -- the mounts are more akin to springs (being rubber and therefore springy).

MCcelica
09-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Ah Roger that. That's what I was getting at.

tuner4life
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup, they mount farther up on the motor and are a small shock absorber between the motor and firewall. They are meant to reduce motor movement under torque.

If you just get a good set of motor mounts, it will be good enough. I had the inserts from Kirkasaurus and they were great. I would think that would reduce motor movement enough.

PhillyDRFT
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
+1 on the mounts from kirk. You'll notice more of a difference. Most off the shelf dampers are layed out for a RWD setup and will be the wrong geometry for a transversely mounted engine. They tend to attach to the strut tower then to the head at one of the lift points.

You need to be making a lot of torque to make proper use of a gas strut damper. and in a celica that means making enough torque to wrench 4 urethane bushings. It's pretty stable as is. My 2 cents says the mount inserts and replacing your rear mount thats probly gone by now is exactly what you're looking for.

Slider
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Keep in mind the kirk and other polyurethane mounts will increase vibration.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
^that they do....it sucks because when its just idling there is a lot of vibration, which leads to squeaks and rattles....

ciento44
09-12-2008, 05:37 PM
On that note, does anyone make solid billet mounts for these cars?

Ryan
09-12-2008, 05:43 PM
dude with those poly mounts my car shakes like a dog shittin razor blades......
why would you want billet mounts..lol

tuner4life
09-12-2008, 06:00 PM
It shakes yes, but I noticed a significant difference in traction (less wheel hop) and also much smoother shifter operation after installing the mounts.

I think it was well worth the idle shake.

Solid Billet mounts would most definitely be overkill and make the driver piss themselves uncontrollably upon starting the car.

ciento44
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
I've driven and owned cars with billet mounts. I don't mind it, and would actually want them. They don't wear out.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
how was it worth the shaking....???????? especially on a dd.......

ciento44
09-12-2008, 06:45 PM
how was it worth the shaking....???????? especially on a dd.......

It was only really bad at idle. I don't spend much time at idle driving to and from work, so i don't really care that much.

And considering it was on an old shitbox CRX probably didn't help much, either.

The DA Integra that i had had billet mounts, and it rattled less than my Celica does now.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
dang

vip09
09-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I have the Speed-Source inserts. I don't notice any rattling.. there is a little vibration, but I don't even notice it. No weird sounds or anything.

ciento44
09-12-2008, 07:23 PM
^Billet inserts? Do they have them for all the engine and tranny mounts?

I'm not worried about rattling. My car rattles like a loose ho full of pennies right now anyways, on stock mounts. Extremely SHOT stock mounts.

Hookecho
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
solid mounts make a hell of an improvement on launching, accelerating, and shifting, but man the idle vibes suck. i had a set on my crx too. i would have to cut the motor off when sitting in traffic to keep from getting a headache. not to mention the fact that i thought the car would eventually vibrate apart and become a scrap pile in the middle of the road one day. nonetheless, it was a blast to forkin drive!

oh, and i still want that header Ben. Quit procrastinating bitch.

ciento44
09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
You's got PM d00d. It's boxed and ready to go, just didn't get the quote yet. :(

VikingJZ
09-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Tuner put the Kirkasaurus mounts in the hatch.

They do rattle a lot at idle. I would imagine the speed source ones are better.

I love the fact that at idle my SC doesn't even feel like its running.

90celicaGTX
09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
if you wanna find a universal one..
search
torque dampner on ebay...

then fab up a bracket...
there is a guy on alltrac.net
that had made one comin off from his alt...
this was on a 3s tho..

Futant3
09-13-2008, 03:45 AM
I've seen those dampers once on a Celica but it was a universal then custom fab thing. I'd agree with the rest that mounts should be sufficient unless you are pushing a ton of power.

Speed Source inserts are great, I have zero vibration with the exception of at 1k when the a/c is on. Something about that a/c makes a difference though.

celica9303
09-13-2008, 04:31 AM
What about the torque dampner for the tc my buddy Has one on his tc and loves it

PhillyDRFT
09-13-2008, 05:51 AM
/sigh

Really this doesn't need to be such a discussion, you can buy one of the universal kits but it makes no sense.The only proper place to put it is between the block and the firewall like already stated. All of the off the shelf kits are typically for longitudinal placed engine setups. The celica as with all FWD cars are transverse.

Unless you're putting to the wheels at the very least 500+ ft lbs of torque you have no need for a damper and even if you are, the gas strut on most kits is the same one that lifts your trunk, Definitely not enough to hold your engine in place under heavy load.

If you need to improve the stiffness on the front half of the car I recommend Kirks motor mount inserts. Or filling them yourself with the misc epoxies and window welds you can find, Shore hardness is the thing to look at. Then adding an extra cross bar between strut towers, or finding your factory crumple zones and welding them in flush. A much more direct solution to tightening up the "slop" in the front end, from a mathematical and practical standpoint.

Murgatroy
09-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Get a chain. I have had to chain down a lot of my engines. My New Yorker has a chain. All of my Camaros have had chains. We call them torque chains.

It is so easy it is not even funny. Figure out which way you want to stop the movement. Find an accessory hole on your block (avoid the head as it is aluminum) then take a length of chain and bolt it from the block to the firewall, frame or radiator support.

You can even get a fancy chrome chain for some bling bling under the hood.