PDA

View Full Version : powder coating header

BEAMS
09-09-2008, 06:33 AM
I have an ebay header coming in....
I wish i new about hot shots selling them for 99$ earlier, but i never got a response. : (
So im going to have all the welds checked out and sand blast/ powder coat it.
Should i have it coated on the inside only, both or just the outside?
I know there is a 1200 degree coating.....
I've been reading that some just like to coat just the inside.
What i am worried about is the heat pumping off this thing and going into my alt, and rubber/ electrical parts. I only drive for maybe 15-30 min max usually.
But i dont want to take any chances.
Thanks for any help, im hoping to get this done by next week.

turbo4ag
09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Most places I've ever seen online coat both the inside and outside.

Is this a NA or forced induction?

If this is a turbo engine, the 1200 degree coat wont cut it... you'll likely need to go up to the 2000 degree coat. If NA, the 1200 degree sterling will hold up well and block alot of heat. One guy I work with coated his header, and when we shot it with the infared pyrometer it only got up to 400 degees, this was on a Hayabusa.

The Captain
09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I've got black ceramic coat on my OEM header and it's held up beautifully.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
i have that ebay header and i drive a lot..it really wont botheranything else...just dont put anything plastic around it...

tuner4life
09-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Powder coat will melt off a header. I would either leave it and have some engine bling (keep it polished) or use grill paint maybe?

ciento44
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Powder coat will melt off a header. I would either leave it and have some engine bling (keep it polished) or use grill paint maybe?

You can get high temp powdercoat that will hold up to those temps without issues.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
why would it melt off if it is rated at 1200*....i used that engine enamel on a header and it stayed...

tuner4life
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
lmao, Wasnt that on the mazda?? idk how that stayed on. Every one I've ever painted has faded bad and eventually peeled/burnt off.

Ryan
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
it stuck great on the mazadaza
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/93-mx-3/DSC_00015.jpg

that is just high temp duplicolor engine paint

BEAMS
09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
To my surprise the welds look good on it. And this is coming from a friend who has been welding for years.
Took it to a local powder coating shop. They told me it would start to fade right around the top of the header where it gets the hottest after only a year......And they recommend that i get it ceramic coated. And it would be around 150-200 to do that.
So i chose to just get DEI exhaust wrap and the paint for it.

Whats your opinion on exhaust wrap. I was kind of unsure of using it because i've heard that it can crack the header but im not sure how.

Slider
09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Wrap will shorten the header life, the wrap keeps the heat in not allowing the steel to cool which can cause cracks from what I have read. Cooler underhood temps vs shorter header life is the choice. Not sure how much the wrap will shorten the life of the header by.