PDA

View Full Version : Custom Gauge Install Question

ccsouls
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I am turning my ash try into a gauge location in my 5th Gen.

I am installing boost & oil pressure gauges in that location for a 3SGTE.

I assume there is a vacuum line on the intake for the boost, but where is it physically located?

I assume there is some similar location to connect the oil line for that pressure gauge as well, but where is the best place for that also?

Thanks all.

CriScO
09-09-2008, 05:47 AM
OP guage should generally be hooked up like this:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/8/8/OilPressure.jpg
Unscrew the original oil pressure sending unit. Screw a male/male fitting in the block, screw on a T fitting. Put the original oil pressure sending unit on one end of the T, the new guage's fitting on the other. That way you don't disable the stock guage and don't have to drill and tap the head.

ccsouls
09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Thank you.

Where is the original sending unit located?

In your picture, it looks like it is next to the exhaust manifold, however your picture looks a bit different than mine. Are they typically in a similar location for all these blocks?

CriScO
09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
It's the same on mine and the 5S, I think the GTE unit is in a slightly different location. Couldn't tell you exactly.

dups90gt
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Crisco where'd you get the British head and T? The unit i got was NPT but the hole is British.

CriScO
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
If I remember correctly it was a 3/8 metric thread into the block. Just like a brake line fitting. I had all the parts at my store.

Murgatroy
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
That is the awesome thing about working in a parts store, or having a good relationship with a parts store.

The local NAPA has let me loose countless times to dig through their storage bins to find thing to 'fit' a need I have.

There was also a little parts store I always frequented as a kid, I remember building a Camaro one time, we couldn't find a starter to fit, so the owner let me take 10 starters home to find the one that fit just right with the least amount of shimming.