PDA

View Full Version : Video of my autox today

Hiko
09-08-2008, 05:25 AM
I finally got my camera set up in the car today, so I just thought I'd share. This was my fastest run (third), and the results can be seen here (http://www.rmsolo.org/msp_eventpts.php?rep=1_20080907SS). Lap was good enough to (barely) get 7/13 in STS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7ix0hFYrI

Also, if anyone's interested, I could put up my second or fourth run. I got good advice about my driving on the second that's recorded if anyone want's that one. Or the fourth run just got really hairy and entertaining if anyone would like to see that.

MCcelica
09-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Where'd you do that at? Was the whole SSHR crew there?

Hiko
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
This was at Dick's Sporting Goods Arena. It's sort of the replacement for Coors Field, but a lot wider than Coors. It also has a little elevation change which is fun when its made into off-camber turns.

As for the SSHR crew, I've never figured out who all is on it. I do know that Mayfield and the Neff brothers were out there though.

KoreanJoey
09-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Not bad there Hiko, kind of wish you had a higher perspective on the camera so I could give some pointers, but from what I saw you did a good job of braking in a straight line and turning early.

MCcelica
09-14-2008, 12:40 AM
This was at Dick's Sporting Goods Arena. It's sort of the replacement for Coors Field, but a lot wider than Coors. It also has a little elevation change which is fun when its made into off-camber turns.

As for the SSHR crew, I've never figured out who all is on it. I do know that Mayfield and the Neff brothers were out there though.

Ah, so they were out there. Haha. Jason Covington usually rolls with them a lot too. It's not really a set crew. It's just sorta a few main guys including the neff bros and whoever wants to go with 'em. Last time I went with 'em I was sportin an SSHR helmet. Lol

goretro77
09-14-2008, 01:05 AM
i couldn't really see the cones but enjoyed the video anyways! Good job!

Post the rest, I would definitely watch it.

Hiko
09-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the congrats :)

Been away from the computer for a few days, sorry. I also just lost access to the rest of the videos for a while, but I'll put them up when I get the chance again.

With my level of preparation for STS, I think I'm doing pretty good. But with that said, I know I'm still leaving a lot of time out there. I'm trying to use the camera to help, and I also have a favor to call in with a nationally competitive driver for a ride along and some advice.

Does anybody have any ideas where I could mount the camera higher up? That view was from a board I'd mounted to the headrest as high up as I could get it. The only thing I can think of is suction cupping it to the windshield, but I'd also like to capture my steering inputs.

I have a race on the 28th (my birthday), so I'll hopefully have more videos from a better angle then.

KoreanJoey
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Some of my old videos were taken with a digi cam mounted (ziptied) to the rear view mirror. Others were using a suction mount on the roof of the car.

KoreanJoey
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, and it'd be nice to see something other than just Civic Si's owning STS.

Hiko
09-16-2008, 03:18 AM
I might end up doing the suction cup idea (don't think the tech guys like zip ties). But I think I'll try making an extension to the mount to hold it higher up and see how that goes.

As to the Si's, there is no way in hell my celica would ever be competitive. The Si's locally can be (and are) nationally competitive. But it'd be nice to at least be faster than everybody else.

Hiko
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, as promised, here is a video of the race on the 28th. However, I ended up getting a ride in my dad's ST2 RX-7 GTUs. I also made a mount to get a MUCH better view of the course.

Slight work warning for yelling after I hit a cone on this run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfOYJYY_Tes

KoreanJoey
10-02-2008, 03:46 AM
LOL, don't get angry when you hit cones, now if you hit cones all day... that's another story.

Don't let a hit cone bother you, remember you just ran it's punk ass over.

But one thing I must say, you seem to be too worried about driving tidy. Remember the fastest you can take the car is (more or less) 105% of the tires grip. If you're completely in control, you aren't going fast enough. If the car oversteers push the car into the corners and use the throttle to swing you out, if it understeers rotate the car beyond the apex and use the throttle to slide the car around the cone.

Slider
10-02-2008, 04:10 AM
:stupid: no mercy for cones
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/1250111668_1e91b9dee9.jpg

KoreanJoey
10-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Cone = pwned.

Hiko
10-02-2008, 06:57 AM
:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I did over react a bit there. It was just that I had been running poorly the entire day, and I knew that that run was considerably faster, so when I hit the second to last cone, I was rather disappointed.

I know it doesn't really look like it, but I was pretty well on the edge for that run. Oversteer, without improper steering inputs, is really hard with that car as it's down on power, and understeer is slow no matter how you look at it.

I will say, however, that I had two riders on my 2nd and 3rd runs, and they both said I was pussing out on the slalom. I found around 6-7 tenths on the slalom alone after that.

KoreanJoey
10-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Slaloms are the easiest places to lose time... just make sure you're late apexing and looking ahead.