PDA

View Full Version : so stressful

lilsticcup
09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
ok im ready ready ready to start my swap but i am afraid of what engine to buy since i never bought an engine before. i do not have alot of money for a complete front clip, and i honestly cannot find a st 185 front clip anyway unless its like 3500 to 4000. can anyone give me a helping hand on what i should look for when buying a 3sgte? like what should it come with and what else i would need, also a good reference to a site if anyone has 1. i found 1 on ebay for 1400 total including shipping but im scared because what if its missing something or there is something better out there that i dont know about

EDIT: BTW, heres the engine i found on ebay, tell me what you guys think http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&viewitem=&item=250288814013&_trksid=p3907.m29

dups90gt
09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Looks like its missing the 3SGTE ECU and the resistor pack plus thats a gen 2 3sgte, you will have to modify mounts to get that to fit in a gen 4 celica i believe. I think what you need to find is a gen 1 3sgte. Im no expert but thats what i've read.

Good Luck!

lilsticcup
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
ok so i was browsing and i called this place jdm engine depot. he says he will give me the engine tranny cpu wiring turbo and all the other bolt ons for 1460, i am gonna look further into this and probably go with what he says, but i am going to ask him for like pictures of the exact engine he is going to send me and hopefully this is it

lilsticcup
09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
ok so i was browsing and i called this place jdm engine depot. he says he will give me the engine tranny cpu wiring turbo and all the other bolt ons for 1460, i am gonna look further into this and probably go with what he says, but i am going to ask him for like pictures of the exact engine he is going to send me and hopefully this is it

ok i take it all back. the intercooler, sensors, aternator and all the other bolt ons are not included, even though he said they are, so im gonna scratch that 1... see wat i mean when i say stressful lol

Murgatroy
09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
You don't have to modify mounts to drop any 3SGTE engine into a USDM 4th Gen Celica.

Slider
09-07-2008, 03:04 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29947836&postcount=3

Watch out for those ebay motors, they might be missing parts which can be a PITA to piece together.
Don't forget to have some money set aside for some preventive maintenance too ie seals, timing belt, hoses, belts it will be much easier while it's out of the car.

lilsticcup
09-07-2008, 05:36 AM
ya well im actually gonna wait a little while longer, till i can afford a front clip, and till i can actually find a front clip, the last site i seen a st-185 clip on was that scam site flashoptions.com

Slider
09-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Since it's illegal to import front clips, it might be a little hard.

dups90gt
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
look for an MR2 clip, that way you can use the tranny out of it.

Carolina91GT-S
09-07-2008, 04:07 PM
If I do another swap I most likely will get an MR2 clip. The only thing it won't come with is the alltrac crossmember. I just saw an ebay mr2 clip go unsold for 2200 or 2300 including shipping.

That being said you can get an engine set with everything you need engine wise...ecu, harness, sensors, etc complete. I got everything for about 1400 shipped to my door included the MAF, Turbo sensor, harness with all the fuses/boxes, etc. check out www.jdmaddiction.com they are in FL and are fairly easy to talk to. They aren't 3sgte experts or anything but they know engines and will know what you are asking them about. Don't trust the pictures you see on thier site or anyone elses. Call them and talk to them, sometimes there are things that you can't see but are included, and things that you see that aren't.