PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

dirtycelika
09-06-2008, 12:15 AM
hey guys it turns out it isnt the crankshaft seal that was leaking but that trick with the cheater bar and turn the motor over to crack the crank bolt worked great!!! and i heated the bolt a little, but the leak is the oil pump!! now i know i got to unddo the oil pan now to but is there anything else i got to watch out for? or anything i should now before i un do the oil pump? also should i just replace the oil pump?(scrap yard part or new part?) because i think and it looks like it just leaking out of the seal maybe the guy beffore didnt lub it??? i dont know but i think i should just lub it with oil right? or put it on dry?

T-spoon
09-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Some oil on it like you would with the valve cover gaskets is a good idea, though depending on if you're talking about an o-ring, gasket, or seal... Toyota seals come with lube on them already. The o-ring and metal gasket won't. In the oil pump there's a small round seal, looks like a mini-crank, cam rear main, etc. Then there's the roughly triangle shapped o-ring, and behind the oil pump housing a flat metal gasket. I'd replace at least the two rubber ones with OEM.

Carolina91GT-S
09-06-2008, 03:43 AM
you can get an oil pump rebuild kit that will have all of those seals in it. you probably don't need a whole new oil pump. This is a fairly common failure mode.

schnee
09-07-2008, 05:37 AM
If the oil pressure is good I'd just change the oil seal, undo the nut on the oil pulley without damaging the pulley ribs and dig out the seal without scoring the shaft. Most seal/bearing shops could source replacements as well as the idlers.

Unfortunately it means all the seals are going hard and probably a wise idea to change crank, cam seals while the belt is off. Also put seal restorer in the oil to revive your valve seals and flywheel seal. I bought a car with hard seals and it did revive them.(Takes a few months though)

Also a good time to check & replace those pesky cambelt rollers and waterpump. Any doubt = change. It's a mission to get back in there!

Please tell me about the crank bolt trick - I always have a hard time with them, last one was at around 500 NM and I had to remove the sump and block a crank web.

dirtycelika
09-10-2008, 01:08 AM
ok thanx and it was a rebuilt motor about 12000kms on it and i pulled everything off think it was the crank oil seal it seems like it leaking from all around the oil pump!! so was just thinkin of replacing all the seals that are apart of it . but ya to get the crank bolt off i just had the rightside of the car off the ground on a jack stand (and before i took anything apart) heated the bolt (with a stupid little propane torch, the harris's got ran over by the gf) put the socket and a 5 foot pole rested it about a couple of inches off the ground and turned the car over just a bit once and damn she was off!!! yaya

schnee
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Ok -thanks, with my luck it will shoot off and mangle the fender. I spend a lot of time stripping dead cars at the breakers and that trick won't work without a battery & starter.

If you take the oil pump off and there are score marks - that's normal. If there are any grooves (esp in the aluminum), change it.