PDA

View Full Version : Alternator whine problem !

torn
03-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Hello !

In my never ending mission of reparing all the things wrong in my celica GTS 90, I'd need help with a noise problem. I'm hearing an alternator whine in my speakers ! The whine goes together withe the rpm of the engine.. This is happening since I installed a new CD player, changed the stock amplifier AND relocated my battery in the hatch at the same time.

I'll try to be as descriptive as possible so maybe someone could point me out the problem or find a possible solution ...

-The whine can be heard in all speakers (all 10 speakers of the "system 10")
-The whine only can be heard when the amplifier is ON
-The whine does not go up or down with the volume of the CDplayer
-The whine is a high pitch like sound that is more grave at low rpm, and more acute at high rpm.
-When I turn the amplifier off, the whine stops.

CDPlayer and Amplifier setup:
-I used unshielded RCA jacks that goes from the CDplayer to the amplifier.
-I completly rewired the wires that comes from the CDplayer to the stock amplifier.
-All 10 speackers are connected to the amplifier.
-The amplifier's ground is attached at one bolt from the passenger seat. Should be a good ground, but I may have not scrapped the paint enough (maybe a bad ground is a possible cause ??)

Battery setup:
-I put my battery in the hatch and is grounded to a bolt in the complete rear of the car.
-The positive wire comes from a gauge 6 wire coming from the starter bolt, goes near the driver side, but not throught it, crawl all the way to the passenger side behind the engine and goes in the same hole as the ECU wires. (maybe a possible cause). Then the positive wire split into another gauge 6 wire and a gauge 12 wire for the amplifier. Then the wire use the clip that is along the door's bottom and goes all the way to the battery at the rear.

Also I never had a single electric problem since I relocated my battery, except for that noise ... anyone have an idea what is causing the problem before I do a lot of "tryal and error" :) ?

david in germany
03-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Here are the things to look at. Are your RCA's near the battery cable running to the battery? Are you using the system 10 amp? If so then the power cable may be running parallel to the system 10 harness. I would try moving the RCA's as away from the power as you can, see if that helps.
David

torn
03-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply David!

Yeah the RCA cables does not go anywhere near the battery cable (except when going on the amp). Oh and Im not using the stock amplifier... I bough another amplifier with 4x150Watt from a friend and I know it was working well before. It still works well, only this high pitch noise is annoying :cool:

I heard its very hard to find a problem like that ...

-Phil

david in germany
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello !

-The positive wire comes from a gauge 6 wire coming from the starter bolt, goes near the driver side, but not throught it, crawl all the way to the passenger side behind the engine and goes in the same hole as the ECU wires. (maybe a possible cause). Then the positive wire split into another gauge 6 wire and a gauge 12 wire for the amplifier. Then the wire use the clip that is along the door's bottom and goes all the way to the battery at the rear.

Is the cable going to the starter or the alternator?
or is it split between starter and alternator?
Something to try..
disconnect the rca's at the amp does it make the sound still?
disconnect the rca's at the deck still there?
try running an el-cheepo rca cable (without hiding it from the deck to the amp) make sure it is long enough to move all over the car and try to find a quiet spot then that is where you want them installed.
Good luck and let me know how it works out.
David

Forgot to mention, all the noise I got in my system was from running my RCA's next to the stock wire harness on the drivers side. As soon as I moved them away the noise was gone.

dan93st
03-18-2005, 03:21 AM
A friend of mine had the same problem with an amp installed in her Civic. Turned out the ground wire from the amp wasn't getting a clean enough ground. It's worth checking into. The other ideas seem like good places to look too. Just thought i'd throw my two cents in.

Playfortoday
03-18-2005, 04:10 AM
Cheap RCA's are bad. Other than that, everything was mentioned. I am leaning to bad ground. If you can't locate problem, you may need a ground loop isolator.

Blackcloud
03-18-2005, 04:45 AM
Cheap rcas and grounds will do it to ya every time.

Found this the hard way