PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

Carolina91GT-S
09-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Is anyone else doing their own powder coating? we just got a powder coating setup for the shop and I have to say that the first test run came out very nice. I look forward to ditching the paint and going with Powder coating for everything from this point forward.

Anyone have any tips and tricks?

The bead blaster is essential in my opinion.

glenn
09-02-2008, 08:13 AM
can you do heat powder coating you know like headers and shit?

Carolina91GT-S
09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
yes, anything that isn't plastic, well some plastic. As long as it can handle to 400 degree curing temp.

schnee
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Not a good idea for headers as they reach over 1000 degrees, better to chrome or use special high heat coatings.

All parts need to be sandblasted properly first or you get bubbles or rust underneath.

My powder coater always puts an extra clear layer on after - keeps it shiny and lasts much longer.

Nowdays there are powder metallics as well which look amazing.

Never powder coat stressed aluminum, ie NOS cylinders as the baking heat affects the structure of the aluminum. OK for rocker covers etc that aren't stressed.

Paper tape over bolt holes (electrical tape melts), bolt threads first or you will end up having to re-tap everything afterwards. Same goes for all journals and joints.

Carolina91GT-S
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
They offer a hi temp powder coating material as well that is rated for 1000 Degrees continuous duty and can hold up to 1200 for short periods. The cure temp is a little higher and the cure is longer but it should be fine. I intend to use that for the header, heat shield, etc ...give it a try on he old engine that removed when I did the swap. See how it goes. This is still a discovery process for me.

The first run I did i used a powder that has the clear mixed into it. It came out real nice, next time I will be using an additional clear coat to compare the results first hand.

schnee
09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Sounds interesting - keep us posted

I've seen a crackle finish on some showcar/bike headers & thought it was just for show.

If the clear can be mixed in it should save a lot of time

Forgot to mention, we just roll small pieces of paper and stick them into thread holes to keep the powder out, much easier to clean up with a sharp blade.

Carolina91GT-S
09-05-2008, 09:25 AM
We use the silicone plugs for holes. The powder comes right off of them.'

I haven't seen the Hi temp stuff in a crackle finish yet, just blue, orange, black, grey, silver, and steel.

GreenlineDesign
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
I did powdercoating for an HVAC company the paint is extremely durable but ensure you have all parts extremely clean and no touching before paint otherwise no parts can pass an MEK test methel ethel keyton or more than 10-20 lbs of pressure..just some tips...and be careful on over spray causes ugly bubble and thin paint can cause metal to show through nasty...

GreenlineDesign
11-26-2008, 08:02 AM
yes those silicon tubes work great make sure to not paint holes for bolts may cause them not to fit anymore