PDA

View Full Version : painting interior pieces

Ricksta
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
so the guy i bought my duece from had sourced the interior peices together and well they dont all match. i ended up buying the center concel peice in good condition but it is a darker black then my current interior. i bought some of the interior paint a longtime ago just never got around to doing anything yet.

i heard the paint doesnt stick very well so what are some techniques to getting the interior done? dye it? primer it? idk! my dirtbike is almost complete so im going to be moving back to the mr2 project to keep me busy.

Colossus20v
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I forget what I used, but basically I sanded and cleaned everything before I began spraying the pieces. Do thin coats. Mine has held up for about 4 years or so.

Ryan
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
i have painted a lot of interior stuff in the past...as long as you clean it very well there are many different ways you can paint stuff...you can either use vinyl paint(you dont use primer with this, and its up to you whether you use clear coat) or you can use primer, then whatever color of base coat that you want, and then your favorite clear coat. make sure you use a lot of thin coats of the base, and then i always use a lot of thin coats of clear to prevent chipping. good luck

Ricksta
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I forget what I used, but basically I sanded and cleaned everything before I began spraying the pieces. Do thin coats. Mine has held up for about 4 years or so.

what did you sand with? what all materials did you use?

Ryan
09-01-2008, 11:37 PM
ive never heard of anybody sanding interior pieces... use alcohol to clean it with, let it dry completely, lay down a couple of good coats of primer until you are satisfied, then the color you want letting it dry between coats, and then clear coat.

Ricksta
09-01-2008, 11:56 PM
ive never heard of anybody sanding interior pieces... use alcohol to clean it with, let it dry completely, lay down a couple of good coats of primer until you are satisfied, then the color you want letting it dry between coats, and then clear coat.

sounds like a plan. i just think that if i didnt primer it that the vinyle paint wont stick very well. ive heard horror stories about that too.

but i dont know how well sanding down the interior pieces is going to do. thats why i was wondering what grit because its not a hard plastic surface. idk! i get a bunch of different responces i just want one right one lol

Ryan
09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
if it is a highly used part such as a shift knob it will eventually wear off but if its like a vent or something like that it wont as long as you clean it really well and put a few quality coats on it.

Ricksta
09-02-2008, 01:01 AM
im just doing center consil, dash, doors and the plastic piece on the steering wheel.

Ricksta
09-02-2008, 01:26 AM
actually now that i went and looked. my dash and doors are all in great shape and dark. im just scared that what i do end up painting it wont match the original shit.

Ryan
09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
is the cap on the paint close to stock?

Colossus20v
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
It has been a while since I did it, but I cleaned the pieces, then sanded with a fine grit sand paper(just to make something for the paint to stick to well) and then I cleaned again and sprayed. about 2 coats or 3 on the pieces.

As far as matching your regular paint, you probably wont. Hopefully its all black. If you really want to know, then get a test piece and spray it before you start spraying everything else. Just try it out.

ciento44
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Clean it with mineral spirits to get all the oil based cleaners that been used on it over the years off.

Rough it up with a scotchbrite pad, i'm not sure i would recommend sandpaper, but whatever works, works.

Then spray very thin coats until you think it's done.

Ryan
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
personally i never sand it because i dont want any scuff marks just in case i want to take it back to stock. but if thats not an issue, then go for it.

Ricksta
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
thanks guys gonna get on it soon

Ryan
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
good luck. remember to put multiple light coats rather than few heavy coats.

VikingJZ
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I have done this numerous times. I have always cleaned with alcohol or spirits and then let that dry; followed by numerous light coats until the right color or result is achieved. I would recommend doing it with a blow dryer six inches above where you're painting. That allows it to dry faster.

VikingJZ
09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Note: it does not stick that well to leather. You'll have to touch up the leather every few months if it is a high wear item like a shift knob or steering wheel.

My shift knob is dyed black and I have to redo it every so often. That only takes like a half hour of my time, so I do it at night, let it sit out and then install in the AM before I go somewhere.