PDA

View Full Version : So I just got home....

PhillyDRFT
08-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Yupp... Just got home.

Feels nice. Woke up around 7, headed out to get a bag of milk. Ended up driving 6 1/2 hours northeast.

Came home with this. :bigthumbu

-

-

-

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/nch8/86%20mr2/100_2406.jpg

So it wasn't as perfect as I expected but 14x,xxx on the chassis, 119k on the engine. The owner says it's been garage kept for the majority of it's life. Which I believed after going over it. Not a spot of frame rot or rust. It has some dings and dents from being 22 years old and a little bit of surface rust here and there but it's to be expected.

I NEVER take peoples word on things, especially when buying cars.. but he assured me the quality of it mechanically. We pull up outfront of his house to find the passenger side door panel off. He's putting the handle back together. The clip broke or something lol. The car wouldn't start the battery was dead. It didn't even have a tie-down. The guy was really nice though, apologetic for the setbacks. I know what it's like. No matter how much you plan shit will go wrong.

So I used this all to my advantage and pretty much bought the car for a song. $1,150.

It's an 86'
119k on an 87' 4age
87 brake swap in the rear
new rear shocks.

It ran like a champ all the way home. I'm really pleased with the 4age so far. The wheels shook a bit when I got neer 80 but I don't know if it's from the lack of power steering, I've also read that AW11's are pretty picky about torque specs on the lugs.

So that's about all guys. I'm really happy to have a toyota again. I'll take some more pics when I get it cleaned up. I can't wait to start fixing things on it but it's about 12:30 and way past dark so it will have to wait.

burnyd
08-31-2008, 05:39 AM
same here got my solara today!

Nice car what are your plans?

Do you still have the s13?

PhillyDRFT
08-31-2008, 05:45 AM
same here got my solara today!

Nice car what are your plans?

Do you still have the s13?

Yeah I still have the s13. My future plans are all up in the air now. The S13 is in the middle of a new turbo setup, trying to use a holset turbine.

Since the adventure ended up costing me a lot less than I expected once the del sol sells I'll be able to pay off a ton of bills.

As for the Deuce. I'm just going to clean it up, fix all of the odds and ends. Then really drive it and start where it needs. I was absolutely shocked by the handling of it despite it's age. I would love a 20v eventually but I'm just going to see how it pans out for now.

How did the solara go?

burnyd
08-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Solara went greato other than the 165 dollar memorial day speeding ticket on the PA turnpike.

Those cars are great its prolly the most fun with 100hp youll ever have haha, there just fun to beat the hell out of and take around corners fast.

Kastigir
08-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Certainly not my favorite MR2 gen, but a sweet deal. Hope you enjoy it.

Cavanagh
08-31-2008, 07:04 AM
i LOVE YOU Philly! AW11 *****!!! Although i have never been in one, if it's anything like an MKII, you'll have a blast driving it.

EDIT- For the MOTHER FUCKING WIN! :hehe:

Maleek
08-31-2008, 07:21 AM
sell s13 to me:D

david in germany
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Very pretty little car! Enjoy!

PhillyDRFT
08-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah I'm trying to scam my way out of a family picnic thing today so I can work on it.

The grip on it is insane. To the point that it kind of scared me. At certain points of acceleration through the apex I know the s13 is going to kick out the rear on me depending on lat G's, The AW11 however grips and asks for more. I still need to fix some more odds and ends before I push it any further, but I have no doubt it will corner nicely at 80MPH+.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Maleek, I will NEVER sell my s13. I've claimed it as my own almost to the point of peeing on it to keep others away. I'll admit I was on the s13 bandwagon from the start, so I'm working on it on the DL waiting for everyone else to hop off. Plus I toldya! there no fun anymore. All of the good ones have been molested. grab a nice s12. If you're into the look of Hatchi's you'll love em. Plus they rock the ca18 which is a pretty neat little family of engines.

Cav- I've driven both SW20's and AW11's... I picked the AW11 mainly because of it's total simplicity. The fact that the chasis was engineered from the ground up over a lotus/toyota partnership. (NOT a failed lotus design like most believe.) Bringing a lotus style suspension to the table with the 4age power plant. On MR2OC they even have the tech manuals for the TRD racing teams with different stages of suspension settings. The only thing that really kept me from the SW20 was having to choose between the 3sgte or the 5sfe... although if all goes well. I may replace my celica with an MK2 in a year or so >.> ..... <.< We'll see!! lol So yeah I'm back-to owning 4 cars again.....

Edit: Expect me at the dragon this year! :bigthumbu

david in germany
08-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I have driven them in the past and love how they handled. Secretly (well not a secret anymore) I have always wanted one. I have, however, found a similar if not better feel in the MINI. ;)

geebes
08-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I want one.

vip09
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Great find philly! Thats one clean AW11. I'm sure it will corner nicely at higher speeds, it might take a while to get to those speeds though! j/k Congrats on the find man, can't wait to see it at the dragon meet.

Colossus20v
09-01-2008, 12:54 AM
I love that gen. I would really love to have a 4agze in it and play around with that for a while. I've read enough about 20v in them, but now people are swapping in 3sgte's as well. So you have a ton of options with that.

I would love to set one up to smash an elise or something. That would just be a lot of fun. :)

Nice find Philly.

PhillyDRFT
09-01-2008, 02:42 AM
It was actually the winner, I was choosing between this one a long long drive away or a kinda beat SC. After a lot of reading apparently the SC threw off the balance of the car because it wasn't an initial plan for the MR2 chassis. I will say the 4age "feels" like a very quick 110hp but I haven't really beat on the car or anything. I babied it home.

But one of the better parts is it's over 20 years old so I do believe I can insure it and title it as a modern classic meaning if I keep it under 5k miles a year It's emissions exempt! I'm hoping to just really drive it and use the extent of my knowledge to try and build onto the nicely primed canvas that toyota had built before I choose the proper direction for it.

Another neat thing that I might get flamed for but...

From the carfax-
MR2 Production date - 01/17/86
PhillyDRFT Production date - 01/09/1986 delivered at home on the 17th ;)

I think it was meant to be! lol

wrongboy
09-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Dude I am so jealous. I want an AW11 so bad I can taste it.

Chris
09-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Beautiful car man. Where do you guys find these things?

PhillyDRFT
09-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Beautiful car man. Where do you guys find these things?

3 months of searching.. you have to look everywhere! I'm a member at a LOT of forums. You never know who is going to post what. I check cragislist for most surrounding states and occasionally auto trader.

I found mine from a member at MR2OC.org.