PDA

View Full Version : #*$%@*# Emissions.....

CriScO
08-28-2008, 04:38 AM
The coupe failed the Colorado emissions test today. The sad thing was how close it was:

HC: Limit 2.0, mine was 2.01.
CO: Limit 20.0, mine was 20.3.

Fuck. Everything else was fine. The main problem is that this is my last week to do it. Yes, that was my own dumbass fault. I've got a training class for work on Friday, so I've gotta do the test again and hit the DMV before work tomorrow. Sigh...

So after the test today I changed the oil and plugs, and since I was already working on it I went ahead and did the spark plug tube seals I've been putting off forever. If I can get up early enough tomorrow I'll check the timing, and maybe retard it a bit (Luni's suggestion, I was bitching about this to him also :hehe: ). Then on to the retest...

If I fail again I'll have to put the hatchback back together. She's got another year before it's her turn again.

So yeah, fuck.

Murgatroy
08-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Ah... Tennessee... No Emissions...

Slider
08-28-2008, 04:58 AM
Ah... pre-OBD2 exempt

Cavanagh
08-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Ah....no emissions at all :D

CriScO
08-28-2008, 05:17 AM
You all suck.

It just kills me because the hatchback has never failed, and she doesn't run anywhere near as good. Of course there are 100,000 less miles there...

Galcobar
08-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Heh -- know the feeling. I figure if they're catching my relatively well-tuned engine, they've got to be catching the real offenders. And since I like breathing...

Colossus20v
08-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Ah... Tennessee... No Emissions...
Not True. In Davidson County we have them. I'm scared to see what my celica is going to blow. The RSX will be fine and should be getting done these next few days. Celica will be next week or so.

That said. Can you do a waiver for your car? In PA if you fail 3 times but try to do $150 in repairs and it still fails, you can get a waiver. Thats what I had to do with the celica, but then again my idle was all messed up and some other things.

Murgatroy
08-28-2008, 05:56 AM
No clue. They have been threatening it here in Knoxvegas for a while, but they haven't passed it. Too much big business stands against it.

Colossus20v
08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
With Al Gore living down the street Davidson county has to have good emissions. Its the biggest load of crock but whatever. Let's save the environment and the World from global warming.

Blah.

Cavanagh
08-28-2008, 06:39 AM
I'd rather hear a 20v up to redline then save the world. :)

CriScO
08-28-2008, 06:50 AM
That said. Can you do a waiver for your car? In PA if you fail 3 times but try to do $150 in repairs and it still fails, you can get a waiver. Thats what I had to do with the celica, but then again my idle was all messed up and some other things.

Interesting, I may have to look into that here if worse comes to worse. I doubt it will though, like I said, the hatchback passes smoothly every time. They're actually always surprised with all the racket she makes. :) It is Colorado though, so I doubt such a waiver exists.

Colorado is similar when it comes to regions. The "enhanced emissions test zone," as they call it, covers the Denver metro area, south almost to Colorado Springs, northwest to Boulder, A short ways east of the city, and to the west with Jefferson County - where I live. Most of the state's rural and mountain areas are exempt because there simply isn't enough population to make any sort of enviromental impact.

CriScO
08-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I'd rather hear a 20v up to redline then save the world. :)
:bigthumbu That's it - I just got a quote for my siggy!

ciento44
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Welcome to Indiana, where we have no emissions, no inspection, no nothing.

If you want to pay to plate it, you can drive it.

CriScO
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Today's results:

HC: 1.5
CO: 16

Amazing what some new plugs and oil will do, eh? :)

Colossus20v
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Thats great!

Glad you fixed it. Did you do anything with the timing?

CriScO
08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Nope. Figured I'd just try the plugs and oil, if that wouldn't have worked I would have done the timing and tested again today.

Galcobar
08-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Heh -- kind of puts the emissions test in perspective when it takes so little effort to reduce your car's pollution production, doesn't it?

burnyd
08-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Not True. In Davidson County we have them. I'm scared to see what my celica is going to blow. The RSX will be fine and should be getting done these next few days. Celica will be next week or so.

this is true, but there are other ways around it aswell.... if you put under 5k on your car per year and the previous year the car was in PA you are exempt. If you do fail the emissions you can go out buy 2 cats for your car at advance.. it will cost 150 up front pass inspection and return the cats there after.

Cavanagh
08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
:bigthumbu That's it - I just got a quote for my siggy!
:woot:

tekstep01
08-31-2008, 04:41 AM
I got a fever, and the cure for that fever is more cowbell!

VikingJZ
09-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Actually Ben, in Lake County they have emissions testing.

Lake county is the furthest northwest county in Indiana, and theres a lot of people that live there and work in Chicago, so they do that to keep IL happy. Otherwise everyone would live in LC and be happy.

But yes, Indiana has no emissions testing and its nice. I have never owned a car that would pass.