PDA

View Full Version : Cooling problem, need advice!

djorkaef
08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Dear Celica lovers,

I have a problem with the cooling of my 1990 T18 2.0 GTI, he becomes overheated (meters beyond the red and temperature 110-120 C, steam comes out). This happens since I've done some sprinting and then 50 km highway (not different as other days).

I've already discovered that the right fan on the radiator didn't always worked, which I think is resolved. But I think thats only for cooling if you stand still. Furthermore it doesn't help if I full the 'reservoir' tube with water because that water is not decreasing, 15 cm above 'FULL' (which is perhaps the problem?). The heating still worked so i had warm air with open windows and that helped cooling the motor temperature.

If I remove the radiator cap and make rpm the coolant will begin to go out at approximately 85 C. Then I have the radiator filled again with water, after I had removed the thermostat. In the beginning it was OK but when I just went through 7100 rpm the steam was there again, without thermostat in it!

Before and after the trip I didn't have white smoke from the outlet, during the trip I still have full power, and after the trip, no water vapor in the exhaust pipe.

Are some of you familiar with this problem? What do you think that it can be? Water pump breaks, clogged radiator, or a valve or other sensor that does not work? I have owners manual of 608 pages and do not wish him to immediately enter the garage.

Please advise, thanks in advance!

Joris (Belgium)

Ryan
08-26-2008, 10:09 PM
it could be a bad radiator, or a bad water pump. it also could be a blown head gasket... have you tried flushing the cooling system?

djorkaef
08-26-2008, 11:10 PM
no i didn't, i will do that tomorrow if i can.

Ryan
08-26-2008, 11:43 PM
you might also check compression to rule out a blown head gasket.

djorkaef
08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
flushed the radiator i thought it was not a clear way out but now i think it's good, please check the video so you can say wath you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgK-mRjnMrg

and i cant find the 'engine drain', where is it?

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3300/enginedrainwhereqo5.jpg

T-spoon
08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
The engine drain is on the "back" of the motor, that is, on the block itself under the intake manifold on the firewall side of the engine. You'll most likely have to access it from underneath and be careful to not get a facefull of coolant if you do.

Also I'd vote for radiator blockage if it overheats with the thermostat out completely.

djorkaef
08-28-2008, 07:42 PM
The engine drain is on the "back" of the motor, that is, on the block itself under the intake manifold on the firewall side of the engine. You'll most likely have to access it from underneath and be careful to not get a facefull of coolant if you do.

Also I'd vote for radiator blockage if it overheats with the thermostat out completely.
thx i'll check it. so you can't say it is radiator blockage by seeing the video?

schnee
08-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi, radiator looks clean - I had a similar problem recently. Turns out the radiator had a tiny crack which only leaked under pressure, and once the water was low enough the temp shot off the gauge as the fans had no water to set them off.

When flushing you need to disconnect as many hoses as possible and blast them all from different directions. You will find mud in the heater unit radiator and if you have one of those watercooled oil filter mounts, I'll bet it's probably blocked as this is another place mud settles.

You need to have the whole system pressure tested using a radiator cap with a gauge & pump.

My battery side fan has also died and I can't find any faults?

Ryan
08-29-2008, 03:13 AM
usually when i do cooling system flushes i use a garden hose, flush out the radiator first, and then put the hose in the top radiator hose and force water through the engine and coolant passages and let it run out the bottom hose....

tuner4life
08-29-2008, 03:16 AM
^ With the thermostat removed.

schnee
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Still wont clean the heater radiator or oil cooler out. You gotta get the hoses off and go for it.

I suggest putting some radiator sealant in the water. Sounds dumb, but if the problem goes away for a while you definitely know you have a tiny leak or cracked head.

Never put cold water into a steaming radiator! It will at best warp the head, block and can even crack the head.

A blown head gasket doesn't always show steam or water at the exhaust, esp if it's taking 30min+ to half empty the radiator. Water/steam is an indication of a severe gasket leak. I'v had water spraying out the exhaust and still got home by filling the radiator at every garage and short shifting, coasting etc.

The bottom line is to keep the water green, stops rust from forming and gumming up the motor and eating the aluminum, besides preventing icing.

djorkaef
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
after the video, i put the hose in the other direction and there was also coming durt out of it. now it is much cleaner than is was when i bought the car, though he still overheats anyway. when i feel the radiator from the front side, the right side is hot (boiling) and the middle is cold and the left is also cold (but there's a fan that works). i think its not normal that the middle of the radiator is cold while the water boils uit of the hose. by removing the radiator i damaged a lot of 'lamels' so maybe the chanals are interrupted there?

anyway, i ordered a new radiator for Celica ST182 at my local car shop, it was only 139 EUR (205 USD) not that much, i think at toyota dealer it would have costed me 3x as much. i will be able to try it out on tuesday.

ask for the radiator right fan motor, the brushes were totally used up. there weren't anymore. trying to find a wrackage dealer with a celica but isn't that easy, else i will ask it at toyota garage but that will be expensive i think.

"You need to have the whole system pressure tested using a radiator cap with a gauge & pump."
good idea i'll see if i can find one.

ciento44
08-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Are your radiator hoses all the same temperature to the touch?

djorkaef
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
no the radiator feels cold (really fresh) in the center and warm at the inlet.

schnee
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Water is now moving through your radiator, but from what you say it must still have blockages in the middle. The temp should be the same all over the radiator. Change that thermostat as well when you fit the new radiator!

If there's stubborn mud in the radiator, the other items I mentioned will be even worse.

Don't tell anyone I told you this.... Radiator shops fill affected radiators with a MILD hydrocloric acid (pool acid) solution (20-30%) and let it stand for a few hours before flushing again with high pressure water. If the solution is too strong or left too long it will eat the aluminum, but it does remove all the gunk.

I normally flush my cars once a year, a few days before - I put radiator flush into the system and it does the same job. I remove all the pipes & thermostat and flush every part of the motor several times. Always put a new thermostat back in.

Always keep your water green!!! - If it's brown it's time for a cleanout. I have changed many headgaskets, waterpumps and aluminum pipes because they had rusted away from neglect.

I also flush my brake/clutch lines as brake fluid absorbs water with time and rusts your brake lines and calipers from the inside. Use clear fluid and when it turns yellow - thats an indication of how much water is inside.
Lead acid batteries perform/last best when worked hard - Every few months I leave the lights on and drain the battery. A trickle charger is better than a fast charger.

Hope this helps

djorkaef
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
thx you all!

problem solved i think (after test drive).

new radiator and new fan, costed me 138 + 30

temperatur goge doesn't even come to the middle position while driving, hope that's not bad. no water loss during the drive.

thx again for your reactions and help!

schnee
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
That sounds right, when my gauge is in the middle it's starting to overheat