PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Change odometer for a gauge cluster swap

METDeath
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
So I bet you feel lucky, you found a GTS in a junkyard and you always wanted the nifty voltmeter and a speedometer that reads up to 150MPH. Only catch is it has 180K more on it's odometer than your car does! Well, this is how you can have a matching odometer and the nifty cluster!

DISCLAIMER: Neither I, nor this site are in any way, shape, or form responsible for your actions. If you choose to perform this mod to your car, it is at your own risk.

This is mostly a how to for changing the odometer reading to match your car's current odometer reading. If you choose to use this information for a malevolent purpose, do so at your own risk. Oh, and it's probably considered fraud, and thus illegal.

I'm also going to assume that you know our cars well enough to remove the cluster on your own.

Now, if you have an automatic car, you can perform this swap, however you will lose the "O/D OFF" light. So be prepared to either think about your engine speed relative your vehicle speed, or put an LED inline near your shifter to indicate an "O/D OFF" condition. Which from my current understanding, shouldn't be too hard, since when the "O/D OFF" condition occurs, voltage is sent to the ECU. Simply stick an LED inline and problem solved. I think, I'll update this post with that information when I get that little tidbit done.

Those details aside, here we go.

Step 1:

Remove the screws that would normally be located at the locations circled below. Yes, I know this is my old cluster, I forgot to take a picture for this step before installing my GTS cluster.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step1.jpg

Step 2:

Gently press down on these tabs to remove the clear protective cover, and then the black tabs, there are also some tabs on the bottom.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step2.jpg

Step 3:

Next, remove the four screws indicated below, the speedometer/odometer/trip meter should come free at this point.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step3.jpg

NOTE: At this point, if you happen to already have a 150MPH speedometer, you can simply exchange the one from your current cluster and avoid a headache. Or if you only wanted the voltmeter built into the GTS cluster, simply swap your old speedometer into the GTS cluster. Reassemble and then install.

Step 4:

Now, gently remove the speedometer needle, and the gauge face itself. When removing the gauge face, there should be two bits of adhesive located around the screws, you can see the residue in this picture, near the screws. Then remove the two screws indicated below.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step4.jpg

Step 5:

Take out.... more screws!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step5.jpg

Step 6:

Same as the last

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/metdeath/CelicaTech/step6.jpg

Step 7:

At this point, you will be able to remove all the metal bracketing on the odometer, and separate the two halves. Now, this is where it gets kind of tricky, since I didn't take enough detail pictures.

If you gently separate the two halves of the odometer (it won't fully come apart, but that's okay) just enough to slip the brown/beige gear that drives the odometer in a bit and away from the brown gear on the bar with the numbers, you can now freely spin the gear in either direction and easily change the numbers up or down to what you need.

dups90gt
08-26-2008, 01:55 AM
nice write up. Wish you had more pics.

METDeath
08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah, the last part... I know needs some work, and some pics, I may tear into my old cluster just to try to get some. However, that part is really hard for me to explain. I may ask for help making a video of that part, and then rewrite that part.

METDeath
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Fixed... a bit

WhiteCelicaGT90Project
11-25-2008, 04:16 AM
So are the electrical plugs in the GTS the same type of plugs that connect to the cluster the same in the GT?

joe's gt
11-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Look, my 250k car really only has 60k miles on it. lol. I wonder how many people have actually scammed someone by changing the odom. Sweet write up nonetheless. I tried putting my car up on jacks and running it in reverse. that didn't work and i can't figure out why.

METDeath
11-25-2008, 06:18 AM
The plugs are the same on the all the gauge clusters.

As for the reverse thing not working, I'd guess that there's some sort of dummy thing that prevents the odo from running backwards. As for people scamming, that's one of the reasons I run carfax and look at the general condition of the body.

WhiteCelicaGT90Project
11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Thats sick. Im excited. I had no idea and i never actually looked to see if the electrical components were the same. Now i know. I can't wait to find one. You can do so much more modifying with the GTS cluster then the GT. WOO HOO...

METDeath
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd recommend you have some way to make sure that you get the speedo right. Like a GPS and just cruise at a certain speed. I still haven't gotten mine quite right... it's close though.

ciento44
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd recommend you have some way to make sure that you get the speedo right. Like a GPS and just cruise at a certain speed. I still haven't gotten mine quite right... it's close though.

How is the speedo not going to be right? The only thing that you personally can do to affect it is run a different diameter tire.

The GTS cluster uses the same signals as the GT cluster with no issues in accuracy after the swap.

METDeath
11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Needle misplaced when zeroing out.

Or possibly there's an adjustment lever, I noticed on the that when I first rolled back my gts cluster that the speedo was off, I was doing around 10 under what it said. And there was a lever or two that could have been the issue.

If you look at step 4-6 you can see it on the left hand side just below the brass/bronze looking screw with an arrow on it.

ciento44
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Needle misplaced when zeroing out.

Or possibly there's an adjustment lever, I noticed on the that when I first rolled back my gts cluster that the speedo was off, I was doing around 10 under what it said. And there was a lever or two that could have been the issue.

If you look at step 4-6 you can see it on the left hand side just below the brass/bronze looking screw with an arrow on it.

Ah ok.... well dammit, now you've got me all paranoid... :laugh:

METDeath
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
It's only an issue if you decide not to swap your current speedo over.

METDeath
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I think I'm going to borrow a GPS and remove the speedo from the cluster, or remove all the trim and fancy bits so that I can reach the adjustment lever without an issue.

Oh, and the face isn't on wrong, there's alignment posts for the face.

ciento44
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
It's only an issue if you decide not to swap your current speedo over.

Well... i have a GTS cluster in my GT. Had it in since..... April? Didn't swap the odometer or anything like that, just dumped the cluster in, connected everything up, and called it a day. Put 65k miles on the car in about an hour!

The only obvious complaint is that the gas guage is a little wonky, won't quite go to the top no matter how full i get it.

METDeath
11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, I know I pushed the needle over to "full" and then went and got a fill up. I may try tweaking it when I get around to fixing the speedo

StormyBklyn
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I have the GTS cluster in my GT, and the speedo is around 1-2mph off, on the slow side. I've confirmed this with my TomTom, and the tach is dead on. Same thing with the All Trac when I swapped out my cluster to change to reverse gauge faces.

I don't care much that either tach is much higher than the car actually has, I don't plan on selling either Celica.

joe's gt
11-25-2008, 09:48 PM
As for the reverse thing not working, I'd guess that there's some sort of dummy thing that prevents the odo from running backwards.

I know, lol. I was just kidding. I was referring to the scene in ferris bueller, don't know if u ever saw that movie

WhiteCelicaGT90Project
11-26-2008, 01:27 AM
before i do that i need to donate some money money to the site. Keep it rolling.

METDeath
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, I've seen it... just hard to tell sometimes when people are joking.

Terracar
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Just a thought - since you can pull the odometer portion of the clusters - why not just swap the odometer portion?

Then you don't have to mess with all the tedious stuff listed after step 3? Dunno they may not be interchangeable, but seems like a much simpler way of going about it.

Either way it is illegal.

-Terracar

ciento44
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Just a thought - since you can pull the odometer portion of the clusters - why not just swap the odometer portion?

Then you don't have to mess with all the tedious stuff listed after step 3? Dunno they may not be interchangeable, but seems like a much simpler way of going about it.

-Terracar

Huh?

He said odometer AND speedometer..

Unless you're talking about something else?

And if you're doing what he's outlining in the original post... it is NOT illegal.

METDeath
12-17-2008, 09:40 PM

-Terracar

See the note on step 3.

Terracar
12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
WoW I overlooked that note - thanks Met

METDeath
12-18-2008, 11:25 PM
No worries.

lue
03-27-2010, 05:59 AM
hey i couldn't pull out the needle..

187flatliner
03-27-2010, 08:35 AM
actually not to be a complete technical ass, but changing your speedometer isnt illegal... selling your vehicle claiming the speedometer is right is.

i checked into this when i did my motor swap... my dmv straight up told me they didnt care about the miles showing which way or the other...( i used my original cluster so i could show the actual mileage on my motor.) i dont plan on selling my cely but if i do i would provide both mileages. with both vin numbers so the motor mileage would be somewhat correct. dmv doesnt track any car over the age of ten anyways. at least here in oregon.

METDeath
03-27-2010, 05:30 PM
hey i couldn't pull out the needle..

You have to pull straight out.

actually not to be a complete technical ass, but changing your speedometer isnt illegal... selling your vehicle claiming the speedometer is right is.

Correct, however, this is changing a higher or lower mileage odometer to match your car's current odometer. So it's actually an ethical thing to do in this case.

In my case, my car had some 60k on the odometer when I got my GTS cluster, so putting a cluster that said 160k on the car would have plummeted the value of the car to any casual on looker. Or if the reverse was true and I found a cluster with 60k on it and rolled it up to 160k to match the vehicle, that would again be the ethical thing to do.

mar_phi6
04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
sorry to hijacked this but I swap my st cluster to the gts and swap the speedometer and odometer now my speedometer is giving me a +20mph reading. What do I adjust?

What does the lever adjust to?

Or is it just easier to just put the st guage face instead of the gts ?

METDeath
05-01-2010, 02:01 AM
It's honestly easier to just reuse your old speedo, plus you get to keep the accurate odometer.

mar_phi6
05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
That exactly what I did I even had to use the same gauges

METDeath
05-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Did you use the whole speedometer assembly or just the gauge face?

mar_phi6
05-01-2010, 05:26 AM
I used both! Since this is my third time taking it out I popped a fuse cause my parking lights didnt work but now the lights in the cluster doesnt work is there a fuse for that ?

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Is it possible for me to change the odometer from kilometers to miles?

Let's say I have an odometer that reads 300,000 kilometers. Could I put in an odometer from a US Celica and just set it to 186,411.3 miles? Or would I have to swap speedo cables too? And, is that even legal to do in the first place (going from km to mi)?

METDeath
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Is it a North American spec or JDM spec? If it's JDM it may be an electronic speedometers, and there's not much you can do, as USDM 5th gens are still mechanical speedometers. If it's a mechanical speedometer then you need to look on the back of it and find how many revolutions per Km it is. Then you just need to do the math and compare how many revolutions per mile the USDM speedometer makes, if the numbers match up, you should be good to swap in the USDM one.

Car_Barn_Bandit
05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Good call. I figure the gears have to be different on either the speedo cable or the odometer itself. It's a North American model, no RHD for me!

I'll keep you posted on what I find out between the two.

METDeath
05-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah, the difference is always within the speedometer, so in a pinch you can use a Alltrac speedometer on an ST or the other way around, depending on your needs.

besign
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
thks

LyGuy
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Is it a North American spec or JDM spec? If it's JDM it may be an electronic speedometers, and there's not much you can do, as USDM 5th gens are still mechanical speedometers. If it's a mechanical speedometer then you need to look on the back of it and find how many revolutions per Km it is. Then you just need to do the math and compare how many revolutions per mile the USDM speedometer makes, if the numbers match up, you should be good to swap in the USDM one.

Hi METDeath,
I'm trying to do the same thing. I put in a new glow gauge that reads in miles but my old one is in kilometers, can you be more specific on 'look at the back and find how many revolutions per km'?

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Did you figure the problem with adjusting the speedo? I just did the swap on my st but only used the face and I'm off by 15 mph.should I have used the back portion of the gts speedo or do I also need to swap the green sheet on the back of the cluster as well?btw the lever on the back did nothing for me.

Angel

JDM SNUKUMZ
09-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Update on this swap.

If you have a At180 chassis then the GTS is not a direct swap. The speedometer will be about 10 to 15mpg off and both levers in the back of the speedo do nothing to help neither. The lever behind the spring helps in letting the needle stop when the car is not moving and the front one is to take the slap out of the spring. Gts cluster has different pins then the ST and even if you swaped the whole cluster the fuel gauge will not work and I even swaped with a working one and I'm sure I burned the gauge up.

Gt and the GTS work with one another cause the pins are the same you just have different options for cluster. Just thought I would update the thread and let people know. Tomorrow its back to the junkyard to find a new temp gauge along with a fuel gauge.

Angel