PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft oil seal?

dirtycelika
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM
hey guys im tryin to replace the crankshaft oil seal and im havein problems with getting the crank pulley off!! tryed to do the way the haynes manual said but it doesnt work , then i tried to find a puller type of tool and no one knows what the hell im talkin about so im open to any suggetens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how to get the pulley off ?

MCcelica
08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Puller tool won't work till you get that bolt out, and it's a bitch. What got mine off was getting a breaker bar on there and a 4 foot cheater bar extension, then rolling the car forward on it, then dumping the clutch. Took a few times, and dug some pretty wicked gashes into the cement, but that's what worked for me.

dirtycelika
08-23-2008, 08:15 PM
sweet ,, i get the crackin the bolt part of that but how did you hold the pulley from turnin? is it just a matter of drivin it while the ratchet is on it?please explain. thank you

Sang
08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Pull the oil pan, block the crank, then a large breaker bar to get the bolt off.

Use a harmonic balancer puller to remove the pulley.

dirtycelika
08-24-2008, 05:39 AM
theres access to the crank through the oil pan?

T-spoon
08-24-2008, 06:14 AM
theres access to the crank through the oil pan?

..... uh-huh.

KoreanJoey
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Use a chain wrench, wrap around pulley.

alltracman78
08-24-2008, 11:43 PM
If you're just doing the seal, I wouldn't pull the pan, more hassle than it's worth.

There are many other ways to loosen the bolt.

As for removing the pulley once the bolt is out, use either a harmonic balancer puller or a steering wheel puller.

There are 2 threaded holes to attach the bolts to, they are 6.0 x 1.0mm. You'll need long bolts.

dirtycelika
08-25-2008, 01:23 AM
ya im ok with pullin the pulley off i was just tryn to find a good way to crack the bolt
wont a chain wrench damage the pulley?

dirtycelika
08-25-2008, 01:29 AM
ok sweet cant wait to do it but got to wait for the weekend (shit) i will let you guys now how it went

tekstep01
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
the easiest way by far to break the stuck threads is to get a foot and a half breaker bar, set it so its about ten inches from the a-arm. Then give it one good quick turn with the ignition, you should hear a WACK! and usually the breaker bar falls to the floor.
check the bolt it "should" be loose enough to work it off without too much hassle!

EXAMPLE: My Old Thread askin the same question.... (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34764)

Now i seriously dont know how the hell those guys in the haynes book got the bolt off the way they showed... i bent two screwdrivers, and broke a socket before i youtubed it.... low and behold! some dude cranked the starter, broke the threads and i was amazed! It turns out that its pretty common knowledge at the garage behind my house!

but be careful! if it does not work after two attempts, stop! save your starter and motor from real abuse.

to get the pully off, i used a timing gear puller from OEM i got it at autozone for 9 bucks or so, works on a ton of stuff! (brake rotors, belt accessories, some types of cam gears, and i pulled a steering wheel off with it!)

goodluck and be safe

Natenword
09-09-2008, 03:41 AM
take the camshaft cover off and put a wrench on the hex part of the intake cam, ive done it several times and it works

brigidrose
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM
may as well replace the cam seal while you're at it...

tuner4life
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I just used an impact on the bolt and then just gave the puley a firm yank and the it came off.

KoreanJoey
09-14-2008, 12:13 AM
wont a chain wrench damage the pulley?

No.