PDA

View Full Version : Cross country road trip....advice appreciated

Simonhla
08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
In a week's time I am driving my 5th gen celica from Los Angeles to Chicago. Accompanying me will be my wife and in the back three cats. I know, I know, I'm batshit crazy.

Anyway, aside from my questionable sanity I am looking for 1. Good routes to take and 2. Any additional advice i can get re; the car.

I have recently had a rebuild done and was having a few little problems afterwards. I'm pretty confident it is all worked out now and I have sent it in for a thorough service (oil change, tune up, thorough check over) before we go. But are there any real do's and don't's with regards to a trip like this. And has anyone driven their beloved Celi that far before?

wakkjobb
08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Chicago to LA? More than 4,000 miles all the way? Get your kicks on Route 66!
Just a suggestion...
As long as your inspection turns out okay you should be fine.

Dan

The Captain
08-22-2008, 03:50 AM
You're batshit crazy. Oh, you knew that. :)

Flashlight, duct tape(wrap a coolant hose), water, oil, tire changing stuff, plug kit, 12v compressor and of course, p/s and a/c belt, oh and lots of $$$$.

RedRkt01
08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
You'll likely be coming through STL up I-44. FYI I-64 is closed for a stretch from I-270 to I-170. Either stay on I-44 until you cross the Mississippi River or take I-270 S, I-255 E and N to I-55 N.......which takes you from STL to Chicago. If you need more specific pointers or help, pm me and I'll be glad to help.

Simonhla
08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
You'll likely be coming through STL up I-44. FYI I-64 is closed for a stretch from I-270 to I-170. Either stay on I-44 until you cross the Mississippi River or take I-270 S, I-255 E and N to I-55 N.......which takes you from STL to Chicago. If you need more specific pointers or help, pm me and I'll be glad to help.

Ok, wow. I had atotally different route planned lol.
I was looking at taking I-15 through Vegas and into Utah, seeing the Mojave National Preserve along the way. Then onto I-70 through Utah and Colorado stopping at serveal national parks along the way. I 76 comes next and then onto I 80. Goes through Iowa, Nebraska etc. Seems must direct and scenic route. Little bit mountainous through Colorado but I am sure it'll be fine.

RedRkt01
08-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Ok, wow. I had atotally different route planned lol.
I was looking at taking I-15 through Vegas and into Utah, seeing the Mojave National Preserve along the way. Then onto I-70 through Utah and Colorado stopping at serveal national parks along the way. I 76 comes next and then onto I 80. Goes through Iowa, Nebraska etc. Seems must direct and scenic route. Little bit mountainous through Colorado but I am sure it'll be fine.

Ha, taking the scenic route is always good. More relaxing that way. Between STL and LA, most people take....I think 15-40-44 through AZ, NM, TX, OK. I looked at your route and found that there is a six mile difference between your route and mine........if you were coming to STL. But since your going to Chicago your route makes way more sense......by about 150 miles! I guess I figured that with STL and Chicago being so close you'd come through the southwestern part of the country...........who knew?! Good luck with all of that........

MCcelica
08-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Just so you know, I-70 through Denver sucks royal balls. Expect delays on there because Colorado drivers are retards. I mean, where else could be backed up for 10 miles bumper to bumper at 10pm? Also, I-70 in Western Kansass is terrible too. One reason. It's long, and straight, and there are no visual obstructions, and State Patrol eat people alive out there, AHEM, PARTICULARLY JUST WEST OF WAUKEENEY. Everyone I know that has driven that route has gotten a ticket there, so watch your speed.

Also. As harsh as it may seem, drug your cats. You can get reasonably cheap sedatives from your vet. And bring leashes for them because they are also going to need to get out to use the bathroom. Other than that, the only thing I would add to gt4rcdudes list is some type of MRE's. Cant be too prepared, especially in those plains states. You can pick them up at sporting goods stores usually.

Simonhla
08-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks. Useful advice.
I am starting out by giving the cats 'rescue remedy' as I would rather not drug them for 5 days straight. But if it doesn't work then I have the sedatives on hand. The last thing we need are buckwild animals. I have bought each one a separate cat carrier because in the stress they may end up fighting. They hate the leashes but it beats carting a litter box around in the back. I'm packing a cooler and plan on stacking it up with basic foods, drinks and meal replacement products. I may plan a route around Denver if I can find something nearby worth visiting, if not I may time my run through it for the middle of the night.

Thanks for the tips on the speeding. I think this is one trip where I will be making use of the cruise control. Get it up to 65mph, flick it on, sit back and relax. I plan on stopping to see some sights every 2-3 hours so i can turn this into a series of pleasant sunday afternoon drives instead of a long and tedious slog.

Kastigir
08-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Is this a move, or are you just sightseeing? I'm genuinely curious, and can offer better advice this way.

Chris
08-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Get your playlist on your ipod ready in advance. Or your CDs in order. Gotta start the music off right.

MCcelica
08-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Nice man. Sounds like you're good to go.

Simonhla
08-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Is this a move, or are you just sightseeing? I'm genuinely curious, and can offer better advice this way.

I'm moving. If it was just a sightsee I definitely wouldn't inflict on myself the stress of transporting the cats!

I have a professional moving company shipping out my stuff, so i really have no need to stuff the car with anything other than the supplies i need to make the trip and survive the first few days in Chicago. Air matress and compressor etc, overnight bag w/clothes. bla bla. Any advice is always welcome.

Kastigir
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Most important thing is to take your time. No reason to rush being somewhere, and adding the stress of that if it's not necessary. Take frequent breaks, which you've already stated you're going to. You have cruise control, use it. I wish I had it in my ST. Set it at 70 and be done. Are you going to do all of the driving, or is your wife going to share time with you? You have an iPod, satellite radio? Either will help with boredom. I have both, and it's wonderful. There is no reason that a cross country trip need be stressful.

MCcelica
08-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah. Satellite radio = Teh shizzzzzzzz.