PDA

View Full Version : Big guy needs help removing brake light switch

crystallinesheen
08-22-2008, 01:21 AM
So I've been looking around for some help on this question. My wife's 90 Toyota Cressida needs a new brake light switch. I've located the switch, but as I'm a big 212 lb 6'4 foot guy I just can't get myself wedged underneath the floorboard to get at the part. How is this done? I have back problems as well and after some initial exploration, my back is killing me from the god-awful position that I was in. Is it possible to remove the brake pedal in a way to get easier access to this little thing? Thanks for ya'lls assistance!

T-spoon
08-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Take the seat out and remove the lower dash covers and zip tie up any wiring that's hanging in the way, then maybe you can lay on your back and in the floorboard and get to the switch? Maybe even just taking the seat out would give you enough space without messing with the other stuff.

Ryan
08-22-2008, 03:09 AM
hire an asian to do it..lol. taking the seat out as said before may help, but like i said, if you can get someone a bit smaller or more flexible to do it that you trust thatd be your best bet...

CriScO
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah man, removing the seat is the best option. I'm not a flexible guy myself, but I contorted myself in ways I never thought possible when changing that damn switch in one of mine. I don't think it would have been possible without seat removal were I your size/had a bad back...

Murgatroy
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Take the seat out. That is the first thing I do if I am gonna be spending a lot of time under the dash of a car.

brak
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Seat has 4 bolts, and takes about 5 min to remove.

just make sure not to bump the adjustment lever once it's out...
it's a pain to re align the rails if you do.
Ask me how i know :duh:

alltracman78
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't forget the seat belt warning light harness.