PDA

View Full Version : 94 ST axle issue

94_celica_st
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I replaced both axles with no problem.
After catching up some speed and I let go of the gas pedal, the left axle makes noise like it is loose on the tranny side, then I press the gas pedal and makes that thump sound like it is catching up with the speed. I checked it this weekend and made sure that it was set right and it was not coming lose.
It also leaks even though the seal is in place.
The axle does not have any abnormal play of any kind so I ruled that out.
Do I need to get a new axle?
It just does not sound right and want to correct it and not sure what is causing the problem. :wtf:

BmbleBPGT94
08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem and ended up having to replace my ball joints...just a thought. And if the axle leaks from the seal you may have torn it when putting in the new axle.

94_celica_st
08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
so if the ball joints are bad it will cause the axle to have play while driving? If seal is broken can i get it replaced Vs buying a new axle?

ciento44
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
so if the ball joints are bad it will cause the axle to have play while driving? If seal is broken can i get it replaced Vs buying a new axle?

You CAN. I would suggest against it depending on how long it's been broken, because dirt and stuff in there will make you have to replace the axle anyways.

BmbleBPGT94
08-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok well did you put in new axle seals when u changed the axles like you were sapossed to? If not thats not good. You have to do that and they are only like $3 a piece. Second, does your axle actually move if you pull on it? If it does chances are you didnt get the axle in all the way and thats why its leaking and making noise. If none of those things seem like the problem then yes your ball joints being bad can make alot of noise when turning the wheel and cause wierd things to happen with your front suspension.

94_celica_st
09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Hub nut was tightened solving the clunk noise issue and also ended up replacing bad wheel bearings on right wheel. Life is good. :bigthumbu