PDA

View Full Version : auto to 5spd swap

johnboi85
08-16-2008, 10:12 AM
i had a quick question. i've been reading a guide to swap a 5spd into a non ect auto 5th gen. i have a 91 gts w/ ect. what differences are there between non ect and an ect car? thanks

Boosted91celiGTS
08-17-2008, 09:37 AM
from what i have read when u turn on the ECT buttion, the computer will make the car rev closer to redline before it shifts than it normally would.i also have a auto GTS(1990)but if someone else can co sign for me that would be great,

Galcobar
08-17-2008, 10:16 AM
The Electronically Controlled Transmission has the option for a Power setting -- higher revs before shifting = more power -- or an Economy setting.

A standard automatic has only the one setting (aside from Overdrive, which is present for both three-speed transmissions).

CriScO
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
The basics: The 5th gen came with two versions of the A241 automatic transaxle. The A241L, which was hydraulically controled. The shift points are determined by the oil pressure built up in the transmission. The other variety, which you have, is the A241E, which is electronically controlled. Here the shift points are determined by a variety of sensor inputs. An similar example would be the ECU determining how much fuel to give the motor. When you set the transaxle to sport, it allows shifting at higher RPM among other things.

The exact differences? I'm not sure. But I thought we needed a better explanation of the two different types. :)