PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

tekstep01
08-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Im swapping the rear-end almost completely, on my st... I have to do this because my 3s-ge takes longer drive shafts, hence swapping the hubs.... now it would look stupid with five'rs in the front and four lugs in the back.... besides it would be better to have discs All round.... la de lah..
i got the whol,e assembly out on one side...BuT!!! the bolts on the other side just are not going to come off... i busted my dome with the socket wrench.. broke a socket wrench... and have lost more blood than other people have donated. this is fucked!!!! whats the trick... one is on the bar running from the axle carrier to the frame next to the jacking point.. the other is the opp. end of it..... all other are removed its hanging by this GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
WTF NOW????

Galcobar
08-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Don't try to remove the struts and knuckles, it's unnecessary to change the brakes.

All you need to do is remove the hub. You'll need new rubber O-rings, but otherwise requires no parts. Remove the hub from the knuckle, swap the five-lug hubs on, and swap your brakes.

tekstep01
08-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Im changing the struts because i got new ones.... the hubs have a different bolt pattern for some reason... thats why i didn't just swap the hubs...
I think they are aftermarket, because they were in great shape, and alot bigger than the usual stock discs.... compared to the swap car's brakes...
i ended up cutting the bolt out... F*&% the F-ing F-er! so anywho ill post a lil after its complete...

Galcobar
08-16-2008, 10:50 PM
The ST got four-lug hubs until 1991, while the GT, GTS and GT4 all used five-lub (4/100 and 5/100 respectively).

Moreover, the higher-end models received bigger brakes.

andy
08-18-2008, 04:17 AM
hack saw/sawzaw

tekstep01
08-18-2008, 04:47 AM
yep hacksaw worked... got it out in 15 min.... swapping in progress!...
I have to remove the anti-sway from the gt-s because the anti-sway on the St is shot out rusted, and the plastic covering the ball joints on the connection to the struts is completely dried and cracked.... so im gonna rip the gt-s's sway bar, paint it, and install it monday.... fun fun! , also i still got to swap brakelines, from the hardline to the banjo bolt, and pull the gt-s's e-brake line (looks like its in better shape!) to keep around for replacement....
i swapped the springs from the gt-s as well, because the gt-s springs were a tad shorter, and def. thicker (meaning Stiffer?) bumpstops were replaced, Suspension arm 1 on both sides were replaced, i left no. 2 s-arm on both sides alone besides sanding and a coat of paint...
Should i Paint the Calipers? Im guessing i need high temp paint right?
Also when its all done what should i set the toe-in to? i marked it when i took off the assembly, but im changing tire sizes, and various parts, so im guessing it will need to be set to the 14 inch rim settings....

tekstep01
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
See Here::
my swap thread (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36091)