PDA

View Full Version : Sick of always getting walked on

Boosted91celiGTS
08-15-2008, 05:41 AM
whats up guys, as the title says i am really sick of getting walked on by everything i line up against. I have even gotten walked on by a dingle cam( thats my name for a single cam) civic. i will list how my car sits, 1990 celica GTS, i have a 5sfe engine with almost 155 thousand miles, its a auto(i think thats my downfall), everything from the front seats back have been gutted out, Intake with a vibrant filter, full Cat back exhaust that runs into a flat black Vibrant muffler. I mean "ol" celi pulls hard forawhile and starts to take the lead and the all of a sudden i want to say when the car shifts into 3rd i start getting walked on. I also have experimented with the ECT buttion and the O/D buttion but i still get walked on. Now it has came down to the time for me to buy new spark plugs. If i buy better plugs and Wires. that will help some,thats what i figure. but i need ur guys insite on this because honestly this is getting really old haha. :duh:

T-spoon
08-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Yes auto isn't helping you. Also 5SFEs just don't have power in high RPMs, so I suggest not racing to high speeds if you want to beat some things, but even then, the auto will hinder you. Swap in a 5speed while you're putting the 3sgte in :P

VikingJZ
08-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Or stop racing and enjoy the ride?

I guess I don't understand the need to be Dominic Toretto of your city.

An automatic GTS is the worst of both worlds. I think an ST automatic only beats that.

Maybe you should import a Lotus Carlton

andy
08-15-2008, 06:09 AM
slowboat hahha, i wish i had a gts though. those wide finders are sexxxay!. save up and do a swap and whoomp ass! on the civics.

Boosted91celiGTS
08-15-2008, 06:10 AM
T-spoon you are right,but i have also thought about shifting the gears myself and not letting them rev so high,because after 5 grand it seems to slow down. I guess it will have to turn into a trial and error thing,And to be honest Viking,the celica is my DD, i dont have 2 high hopes for it. Im only keeping it around because i like the way the celicas look with the RC bumper and intercooler and i plan on doing that 2 mine, dont quite get how u mix fast and furious with this subject haha

Chris
08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
I see my 5SFE celica as reliable. And that's really about it. Not slow, but reliable.

Aside from that, listen to T-spoon

in b4 burnyd with "get an mr2," our resident black man and his 3rd gen...

...oh and forgies.

PhillyDRFT
08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
This racing is all taking place at a track, supervised by professionals I'm assuming?

85gtsblackman
08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
awww man u guys are getting as bad as the other boards, why not concentrate on helping him make his car quicker?

METDeath
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Run a 50 wet shot of NOS!! With the microswitch on the pedal, so that you have to be flooring it.

extremeskillz
08-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Yea i don't race!

tuner4life
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
There isnt that much stuff you can do to make the 5sfe "super quick". The 5spd would definitely help though. If you want to make it really fast you will need to swap to a 3sgte of find a different car.

ciento44
08-15-2008, 01:08 PM
There isnt that much stuff you can do to make the 5sfe "super quick". The 5spd would definitely help though. If you want to make it really fast you will need to swap to a 3sgte of find a different car.

There's all kinds of stuff you can do to make it super quick.... but you have to think outside the box, and first step would be to swap to a manual tranny.

Give me a 5sfe, and $3k, and i'll put you in the 12s provided you've already got the manual tranny. The downside is, it'll be done the exact opposite of how everyone thinks it should be done and you'd probably get flamed for building a 5s. And it still won't rev. I won't touch the head.

tuner4life
08-15-2008, 01:14 PM
^ Yeah but you wont have any car left when he is done.

ciento44
08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
^ Yeah but you wont have any car left when he is done.

Sure he will. He can leave full interior in that thing for all i care.

A 5s can be done with the Honda mentality, it's just that nobody here wants to take the chance and attempt it.

Stock head, built bottom end, some form of EMS, ungodly amounts of boost. Done.

85gtsblackman
08-15-2008, 01:23 PM
actally for drag racing autos are better, but he would have to install a high stall torque converter, reverse valve bodies, and some other auto tricks i forgot, to the trans or turbo the 5s

as for the engine, megasquirt baby, all the way, then a custom intake manifold, cam reginds, a 70mm tb, header, head job with polished combustion chambers and swirlport the head, along with a bigger radiator

Chris
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
He definitely could make the 5S quick, but I'm thinking that with 3k in investment, he could take the standard answer, swap in a 3S and have quite a bit more potential down the road for his money and all the work involved.

ciento44
08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
He definitely could make the 5S quick, but I'm thinking that with 3k in investment, he could take the standard answer, swap in a 3S and have quite a bit more potential down the road for his money and all the work involved.

Yeah... but which could be made faster within that 3k?

Do you really need your celica to go faster than 12s?

You'd have to build the 3s eventually anyways to make more reliable horsepower than what i've suggested on the 5s.

Absolute end result, sure.... 3s all the way. If you're shooting for like.... 500whp and you want to rev and say that you have a 3s.

If you're just looking for 300whp, i'm not convinced anymore that the 3s is the way to go. Strictly from a pricing standpoint, mind you.

Would i rather have a 3s? Without a doubt.

Chris
08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah... but which could be made faster within that 3k?

Do you really need your celica to go faster than 12s?

You'd have to build the 3s eventually anyways to make more reliable horsepower than what i've suggested on the 5s.

Absolute end result, sure.... 3s all the way. If you're shooting for like.... 500whp and you want to rev and say that you have a 3s.

If you're just looking for 300whp, i'm not convinced anymore that the 3s is the way to go. Strictly from a pricing standpoint, mind you.

Would i rather have a 3s? Without a doubt.

Well, I guess it depends on if you want your 12 second Celica to drive around daily.

From a pure money standpoint, I see what you're getting at.

But I'm thinking of a semi-daily rather than strictly a track queen.
5SFE's are stout engines, and nitrous is safe if you do it right, but I can't imagine that going out every night and racing with nitrous is going to produce anywhere near as reliable an engine as even a moderately built 3s. Then again I don't think that 3s won't last very long either if you're going out and boosting the hell out of it on even a semi-nightly basis.

I guess it all depends on what "reliable" means to you and what you want more, speed or reliability.

But that's getting into territory where I'm just talking about what I've heard on here, and not from actual experience.

ciento44
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, I guess it depends on if you want your 12 second Celica to drive around daily.

From a pure money standpoint, I see what you're getting at.

But I'm thinking of a semi-daily rather than strictly a track queen.
5SFE's are stout engines, and nitrous is safe if you do it right, but I can't imagine that going out every night and racing with nitrous is going to produce anywhere near as reliable an engine as even a moderately built 3s. Then again I don't think that 3s won't last very long either if you're going out and boosting the hell out of it on even a semi-nightly basis.

I guess it all depends on what "reliable" means to you and what you want more, speed or reliability.

But that's getting into territory where I'm just talking about what I've heard on here, and not from actual experience.

Oh, i'm not talking nitrous....

I'm talking a 5sfe with a machined crank to accept stock 3s rods, and some forged pistons. Slap that bitch back together, grab some sort of ems, and throw some boost at it.

If it's tuned well, it'll be just as reliable as a 3s, there's no reason it wouldn't be. I'd feel just as good driving around a 300whp 5sfe powered car vs. a 300whp 3sgte powered car. Provided that it's built to support it.

extremeskillz
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
well you guys forget to mention to make the rotating assembly lighter resulting in a higher rev . THe 5sfe is a economy motor with lots of torque and a heavy rotating assembly. Yes all the mods mentioned will help but your still stuck with a heavy rotation mass (which is nothing wrong because its a bullet setup, but weak for racing).

I personally love the 5sfe for its torque as i can move really well of the line with my automatic. But top end is slow. I don't care as i don't race my car and don't bother too. I built it for handling on the street and overall enjoyable ride (with head turns ;)).

Best of luck in your build but i would stop racing loser ricers on the street!

ciento44
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
well you guys forget to mention to make the rotating assembly lighter resulting in a higher rev . THe 5sfe is a economy motor with lots of torque and a heavy rotating assembly. Yes all the mods mentioned will help but your still stuck with a heavy rotation mass (which is nothing wrong because its a bullet setup, but weak for racing).

I personally love the 5sfe for its torque as i can move really well of the line with my automatic. But top end is slow. I don't care as i don't race my car and don't bother too. I built it for handling on the street and overall enjoyable ride (with head turns ;)).

Best of luck in your build but i would stop racing loser ricers on the street!

Boost is the great equalizer. :hehe:

I don't care if it revs or not, as long as it moves. I would be happy with a 5sfe that ONLY had power from 2500rpms to 5200rpms if it would move. And with a decent turbo, it would.

Rotating assembly heavy or not.... 300whp is 300whp.

Conrad_Turbo
08-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Try autox, where the driver is more of a factor than just the car. If you want to be faster in a straight line, open your wallet.

Lagos
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Take the boost from your screen name and put it under your hood, swap to manual, and problem solved.

Boosted91celiGTS
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
thanks for the input, Im actually waiting for my main turbo parts to arrive here. I do plan on boosting the 5sfe, and do plan on keeping the auto in there, but i was hoping to also get a reply if shifting the car at 5 grand would be better than letting the computer shift, i say this because after 5 grand, it seems to not have as much power

wizzards581
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
boost!

extremeskillz
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Boost is the great equalizer. :hehe:

I don't care if it revs or not, as long as it moves. I would be happy with a 5sfe that ONLY had power from 2500rpms to 5200rpms if it would move. And with a decent turbo, it would.

Rotating assembly heavy or not.... 300whp is 300whp.

Yea I agree!

extremeskillz
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Try autox, where the driver is more of a factor than just the car. If you want to be faster in a straight line, open your wallet.

x2 on this. I've been watching some autox lately and its very interesting. I myself might try it one day!

Terracar
08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
as for the engine, megasquirt baby, all the way, then a custom intake manifold, cam reginds, a 70mm tb, header, head job with polished combustion chambers and swirlport the head, along with a bigger radiator

And after all this you will have a car that MIGHT get you into the 13s, will have lost the low end torqueyness of the 5sfe, can't idle for beans, still can't rev high enough to support the cam regrind and still won't be above 200hp....

- and has a larger radiator ?? :wtf: cooling system is decent and wouldn't have a problem cooling the motor listed above.

Think I will take the money and build the bottom end and boost it - 2x as reliable and most likely cheaper in the end.

:burn:

-Terracar

85gtsblackman
08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
eh, just install a imz :burn:

ciento44
08-15-2008, 10:44 PM
^That's always a good start. :)

Boosted91celiGTS
08-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Imz?

Slider
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
thanks for the input, Im actually waiting for my main turbo parts to arrive here. I do plan on boosting the 5sfe, and do plan on keeping the auto in there, but i was hoping to also get a reply if shifting the car at 5 grand would be better than letting the computer shift, i say this because after 5 grand, it seems to not have as much power

If you shift at 5 grand when you shift into next gear it will drop you below your powerband, so you'll probably be slower.

I don't know if the auto will hold up the extra power. You might either have to rebuild it with a level 10 kit or just swap in a manual.

Boosted91celiGTS
08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
good point about the power band, does anyone have a ruff idea of where the powerband is

Slider
08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
For a 5spd the shift points from what I remember are 1st to 2nd - redline 2nd to 3rd - 6000rpm Shift from 1 to 2 drop me right around 4400 at 35mph. Not sure how the auto is geared so just throwing this out there. Assuming all your gears are longer in the auto, leaving it in drive would probably be the best.