PDA

View Full Version : So I went and looked at a...

VikingJZ
08-13-2008, 12:39 AM
2000 Dodge Neon ES.

Not to buy, but to see the utter impressive rice job

Take a look:

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/791698284.html

The tips are what i put on my Lexus, except these are only attached to the bumper with a screw drilled through the middle. The stock muffler is still there. HAHAHAHA

dups90gt
08-13-2008, 12:44 AM
ha! and I was about to ask how he did a dual pipe on a 4cyl car or if it was a Y pipe but I guess you answered my question.

burnyd
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
yuo need to go back to school you have too much free time on your hands.

VikingJZ
08-13-2008, 01:23 AM
^School starts in three weeks sideBurnita

Galcobar
08-13-2008, 03:10 AM
ha! and I was about to ask how he did a dual pipe on a 4cyl car or if it was a Y pipe but I guess you answered my question.

The later Dodge SR-4 (slightly reworked Neon) featured a dual exhaust via a Y. Guess he was trying to copy that.

T-spoon
08-13-2008, 03:22 AM
The later Dodge SR-4 (slightly reworked Neon) featured a dual exhaust via a Y. Guess he was trying to copy that.

SRT-4s are turbo, so it makes a tiny bit of sense, though still not a ton. But not even having the second muffler attached to exhaust at all is pretty funny.

celicaGT90_05
08-13-2008, 04:17 AM
its really not that hard to do dual exhaust even on a 4 cylinder lol you can have a single in dual out muffler if not Y piped. Still, this is pretty funny and rather pathetic, did you mock him while you were there?

SRT-4s are turbo, so it makes a tiny bit of sense, though still not a ton. But not even having the second muffler attached to exhaust at all is pretty funny.

not any more so than a regular 4 cylinder with duals, turbos still only have 1 outlet and only require a large enough pipe throughout

VikingJZ
08-13-2008, 05:24 AM
No you guys don't understand.

The aren't fart cans, mufflers, or anything to do with pipes.

They are AutoZone TIPS with the three adjustment screws that are like six inches in length. He then drilled through the tips in the middle and stuck a long bolt through them up into the bumper...lol.

Galcobar
08-13-2008, 05:55 AM
No, I understood what you meant -- just pointing out where he got the idea from.

Even a turbo-charged four-cylinder engine does not require a second exhaust pipe. All it does is add unnecessary weight.

Chris
08-13-2008, 05:57 AM
THIS CAR LOOKS AWESOME... A HEAD TURNER

Haha. Probably does turn quite a few heads. Poor misguided bastard.

I always wondered why toyota put a dual exhaust on an MR2. I figured it was just for looks, but it seems like an odd thing to do stock if it wouldn't do anything for performance. The look works for the car though.

VikingJZ
08-13-2008, 06:06 AM
No Galcobar all it does is add unnecessary riciness :)

celicaGT90_05
08-13-2008, 06:20 AM
those look pretty big for tips lol I like how he said custom dual exhaust...I guess custom would be the bolted to the bumper part. Dual exhausts can look good, but it depends on how you do it and on what vehicle. There's a focus around town that has dual fart pipe exhausts...it irritates the hell out of me, not to mention sounds like complete crap

Galcobar
08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
The MR2 didn't have a dual exhaust, it had a muffler with two exits.

Chris
08-13-2008, 07:39 AM
The MR2 didn't have a dual exhaust, it had a muffler with two exits.

Gotcha.

celicaGT90_05
08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Im not sure why you would say its odd to do if it doesnt improve performance, a lot of the idea behind factory dual outlet exhausts is style, not just performance. A thing to think about is even in a V application, a Y-pipe to a single outlet is that it's overall cheaper, but the car needs proper appeal to its audience, a single outlet on the MR2 wouldnt have appeared as sporty

85gtsblackman
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
my subie has duals

and wow im suprized u burt the gas 2 go look, theres a bunch of fake srt-4s running around here, still funny though

manu
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Doesn't your Subie have a boxster engine? Cuz dual pipes make alot more sense on those...for example, my 1972 VW Beetle :D

but the amazing thing is, I got it from a friend of mine for free, and right below the REAL duals, he put another two huge tips...so right now there's four 'pipes'...one for each cylinder :ohyeah:

celicatrd93
08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
thats pre-rıce. ıt stıll has not fully grown ın to rıcer. he needs neons and some stıckers and lets not forget to paınt the headlıghts. then ıt ıs rıce for lıfe

Chris
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
thats pre-rıce. ıt stıll has not fully grown ın to rıcer. he needs neons and some stıckers and lets not forget to paınt the headlıghts. then ıt ıs rıce for lıfe

Nah, it's already in rice territory. Once he got the wing and the unnecessary dual-exhaust he launched right into rice territory and never looked back.

T-spoon
08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
not any more so than a regular 4 cylinder with duals, turbos still only have 1 outlet and only require a large enough pipe throughout

Yeah uh, I'm pretty familiar with turbo exhaust... dual 2 inch pipes with a 3 inch Y will most likely flow better for a turbo than a single 2 inch exhaust where it's not likely to do much of anything for an NA 4 cylinder. So yes, more so than a "regular 4 cylinder with duals", though obviously a single 3 inch pipe would be cheaper, lighter and just as good. Turbos benefit from more than just "large enough" pipe. Old old discussion, I didn't think it needed to be beaten with a stick :hehe:

And yeah, as for the MR2, all it took was putting a second tip on it just like tons of other mufflers, it just happens the two tips are on opposite ends of the muffler instead of side by side, so it really cost them very little to achieve what I think is a more symmetrical aesthetic. I actually don't really like how the singles look on MR2s.

ciento44
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
You're doing it wrong.....

http://a960.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_b6edb55f690978ea647858e332a53707.jpg
http://a961.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/86/l_f298a53e4dd1f212e5942b72a44d0720.jpg

celicaGT90_05
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah uh, I'm pretty familiar with turbo exhaust... dual 2 inch pipes with a 3 inch Y will most likely flow better for a turbo than a single 2 inch exhaust where it's not likely to do much of anything for an NA 4 cylinder. So yes, more so than a "regular 4 cylinder with duals", though obviously a single 3 inch pipe would be cheaper, lighter and just as good. Turbos benefit from more than just "large enough" pipe. Old old discussion, I didn't think it needed to be beaten with a stick :hehe:

it didnt, its kind of obvious you get more flow when you put it into terms as you did, but as long as you have a large enough single exhaust its not going to make a difference

Galcobar
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Nah, it's already in rice territory. Once he got the wing and the unnecessary dual-exhaust he launched right into rice territory and never looked back.

If the exhaust were simply an uninformed attempt at improving performance, then I'd say it's not quite there. The fact that he still has his stock exhaust in place and has a fake dual-exhaust appearance racks it up into full-blown idiocy -- same idea as a fake blow-off valve to pretend you have a turbo.

manu
08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
wow! I want something like the car's engine in Ciento's post...only mine'll be Spongebob themed...anyway, question from the noob asian...Where did the term 'rice'/'ricer' come from anyway???

celicaSThelpme
08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
wow! I want something like the car's engine in Ciento's post...only mine'll be Spongebob themed...anyway, question from the noob asian...Where did the term 'rice'/'ricer' come from anyway???

you know how all these kind of cars are called rice burners, well at least where i live when you trick out a car to look like lets say NFS then its a ricer car

thats how we determine it LOL

PhillyDRFT
08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Because the origional joke was American auto enthusiasts were very against Asian vehicles coming into motor sports. (Predominantly in the 70's? Some of the older members will be able to verify since I wasn't even born yet) The Common joke was "What does it run on Rice?".

Hence the term "Rice Burner". Since Import Auto Enthusiasts have grown to a state of respectability the term narrowed to those handful who represent over exaggerated aspects of our race culture. The term grew from describing the car to the driver itself.

tekstep01
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
uncle ben called he wants his box of rice back....

and damn, how many times have i seen "rice" like that here in LA?? too many..
whats really funny is the roller skates the mexican dudes got... little toyota trucks painted all crazy with stickers (like the mexican flag & horses, And sister guadalupe )... with wheels that stick three inches out the sides, almost as funny as these cars....

ciento44
08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
uncle ben called he wants his box of rice back....

and damn, how many times have i seen "rice" like that here in LA?? too many..
whats really funny is the roller skates the mexican dudes got... little toyota trucks painted all crazy with stickers (like the mexican flag & horses, And sister guadalupe )... with wheels that stick three inches out the sides, almost as funny as these cars....

Hey now.... that neon's got wheels/tires sticking out the sides. :(

tekstep01
08-14-2008, 10:33 PM
it fits, the category of tool owned and approved....

ciento44
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
it fits, the category of tool owned and approved....

HAHAHA.... might want to take a closer look at that Neon buddy. :hehe:

VikingJZ
08-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey I invented the uncle ben's rice box back line

tekstep01
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
it fits and its awsome: like ricearoni, the posers treat! knew i heard that somewhere! lol!

dups90gt
08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
ooooooooo who lives in a pineapple under the sea? 'rice bob fast car!' who drives a rice rocket as fast as can be? .....

manu
08-15-2008, 05:09 PM
We have alot of those kinds here too...but the worst are probably those people who turbo their 1.0 litre engines and race against each other...the turbos are probably the size of pennies and it's funny to watch them having to shift gears every 3 seconds...and the millions of times they blow up their engines..