PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 5sfe celica

glenn
08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
so i'm getting a 5th gen celica gt with the 2200 5sfe motor/ problems are it idles weird it like rev's up and down unless you turn on the air conditioner also the interior is little messed up the guy wants a grand and he's willing to take payments so my question is good buy? also should i buy it and swap the motor and tranny into my car

extremeskillz
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Sounds the PVC valve my be gone or a busted vacuum hose causing your idle ups and downs. What is the current condition of the car and what is the asking price?

burnyd
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
prolly not worth swapping out and putting in your car........just for the fact that your really not picking up that much of a upgrade honestly... for the work, downtime etc...

the idle issue is prolly related to the IAC.

glenn
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
well he wants 500 down so half also interior is a little messed plus it has the power windows and locks plus i have a friend with a 5sfe in his car and beats v8 camoro's and some turbo'd cars

ciento44
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
well he wants 500 down so half also interior is a little messed plus it has the power windows and locks plus i have a friend with a 5sfe in his car and beats v8 camoro's and some turbo'd cars

Are these cars running on half their available cylinders?

5sfe is SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW......

Unless he has it in like..... a 1500lb stripped CRX chassis.

Pics of the car, mileage, what year, so on and so forth.

I paid $600 for mine, so i'm not real impressed with anything 5sfe powered with a messed up interior for $1000.

Murgatroy
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
If the other cars aren't aware they are racing, it doesn't count.

My 4AFE can hang with a 5SFE Camry. My 4AFE loses to just about anything else in a straight line.

The Buick can hang with V8s. It is much faster than either Celica.

dups90gt
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I also have a 5sfe, not the fastest motor out there but reliable and yes it is peppy. I beat a Porsche once, but he was parked on the side of the road.. :( Drive it and see for yourself. I got mine for 1700 but it was spotless inside and out.

Good Luck

Chris
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
My car looks like absolute shit on the outside. Oxidized paint and all. :(

But the drivetrain is solid, and the car is reliable. That's all that really matters with me at this point.

glenn
08-13-2008, 10:45 PM
well the kid has a 99 celica with the 5sfe in it but he has also done the motor up he finally tells me plus he's running a 50 wet shot of nos he finally tells me after i look like a jack ass on here... lol but i doubt i'm getting it since it is a auto and does need some engine work and for sure a new cv axle but he still wants a grand....

ciento44
08-13-2008, 10:49 PM
^Yeah, i'd pass on that....

I'd sell you mine for $2k.

But i doubt you'd want it for that.... :hehe:

glenn
08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
lol I just wanna buy a celica thats still the 5th gen cuz both the 6 and 7th have a girly look to them and i want a five speed with a turbo cuz i dont nearly have the time and equipment to do a swap

Simonhla
08-14-2008, 05:49 AM
As for the idle thing then there are a number of things to look at. It's not always that simple with this car. I have had a long running idle issue that wasn't sending up any consistent codesin diagnostics etc.

IAC is one possibility.
Vacuum leak is another.
Faulty EGR valve and the piping that goes to it is wrong.
So much of these cars depends on vacuum that things like the VSV need to be checked too.
Overall these are really nice and reliable cars though.
The problem is unless you are a mechanically inclined then you'll need to get someone to try and diagnose the problem for you. If the OBD I scanner doesn't get any codes then you need to take it to the stealership to put it on their big diagnostic machine which in my area costs upwards of $100 a time, and that is before repairs.

Whether it is worth a grand really also depends on how many miles the engine and transmission has on it. Personally I love these cars and think they are very reliable. A grand on a used car that will run for ages is a good buy in my opinion.

I have had my Celica (a 1992 GT coupe) since, you guessed it, 1992. It has run like a champ, very few reapirs. I love it so much then when it crapped out on me a couple of months ago I decided to have the engine and transmission rebuilt. Restore the paint work (buffing machine and polish) and meticulously restore the interior as best I could (new high quality leather seat covers etc). Whole thing has cost me about $3K, but essentially i have a brand new engine and tranmission and it looks great. No rust, will run for another ten years.

Fine it might not go like a Ferrari but to be honest if I want a properly powerful car i wouldn't buy a Toyota at all, so forget the naysayers on the 5sfe. It's peppy without being particularly quick. But it rides and handles well, and in my mind looks cool.

For power I'll get myself a real muscle car.