PDA

View Full Version : I just got a 91 Toyota Celica ST.....question for power

celicaSThelpme
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone, im 17 years old and new to this Toyota Stuff

I guess since im going to become a good member i might as well tell you how i finally got my car.

Well i had bought a 88 CRX si, and it was great. It had brand new paint and this cool spider decal on the side, and it was very quick

Of course i got pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks and got the car broken into where they stole my $500 stereo system so i ended up finding a guy online to trade me for his celica

the trade went down and now i own my very first 1991 celica ST

I hit the gas the other day and realized this bitch is SLOW, haha

Really can anyone help me out and give me some hints as to what i can do to my car besides engine swaps to make it obtain much more power

I work at k-mart so im on a small budget but if its good enough i can save up

thanks all

-Garen

ciento44
08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
You got the raw end of the deal bud....

BUT.

If you think that CRX was fast, then we can definitely help you out.

Intake, header, exhaust is about all you'll be doing with the engine in that thing. It's a 4afe, not much aftermarket for it. You'll see a small gain with that setup, and it'll sound nifty, but you'll still get wasted by camrys.

To obtain "much more power" like you say, you'll either want to turbo or spray it.

Or, much as you don't want to hear it, swap the motor for something from the 4age family.

celicaSThelpme
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Alright yea its been a ruff 2 weeks LOL

yea its got a $120 intake on it, i cant think of the brand right now ill go look in a few

Its also got a brand new optima battery

I dont know about much more cept the valve cover is black which doesnt seem normal to me

so what can i do with headers and exhaust those seem my best bet then we can talk turbo :D

thanks man

ciento44
08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Alright yea its been a ruff 2 weeks LOL

yea its got a $120 intake on it, i cant think of the brand right now ill go look in a few

Its also got a brand new optima battery

I dont know about much more cept the valve cover is black which doesnt seem normal to me

so what can i do with headers and exhaust those seem my best bet then we can talk turbo :D

thanks man

To be honest, i don't even know if anyone makes an aftermarket header for you. Maybe pacesetter? Exhaust, you're looking at a custom job, 2.25" mandrel bend, maybe 2.5".

Although if you're going turbo, then don't waste your time or money on either of those until you start the turbo setup. You can't use your n/a header with a turbo. Requires a turbo manifold.

celicaSThelpme
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
alright well im really glad i came here.............

I do want to try to turbo my baby :)

Although im like the dumbest guy you will find when it comes to that

whats the parts i need and do i order as a kit or individual or what

ciento44
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
^There's a kit for sale in the for sale/parts section for your car.

celicaSThelpme
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Alright im goin to check that out right now :D

celicaSThelpme
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

is there anyway to slowly build up a turbo instead of buying the kit as a whole

thanks

whats this its 80 bucks would it help me

toyota ct26 turbo with a hf flange

or

this one

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/736852256.html

Lagos
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the forums. Stick around and do a lot of reading, and you'll learn more about your car then you ever thought you wanted to know.

Moving to general discussion forum...

ciento44
08-11-2008, 04:46 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

is there anyway to slowly build up a turbo instead of buying the kit as a whole

thanks

whats this its 80 bucks would it help me

toyota ct26 turbo with a hf flange

or

this one

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/736852256.html

Your best bet is to just build up the setup. Read a bunch of the threads in the forced induction forums.

I don't think any company mass produces a kit for this motor.

The CT26 is the stock turbo off the celica alltrac, with a 3sgte motor. It'll be a good start to your project, but you'll need a 4afe specific manifold, obviously.

PhillyDRFT
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
To be completely honest, at your current level of knowledge I would strongly advise against undertaking a turbo setup YET. I don't mean to put you down or anything. It will be a lot worse if you do this on a tight budget then blow your engine and become traumatized.

Look into small weekend projects to start. Don't have ridiculous power goals. 200HP ballpark is pretty much the cats balls in a FWD and your weight level. It will keep you satisfied for a wile and wont throw off the feeling of balance the car has.

There's lots of things you can START with. The best way is to get into your engine bay with a big bottle of degreaser, a wire brush, a nylon brush and a ton of shop rags. Take your time and clean everything up real nice. It will give you a much cleaner and safer environment to work in when you decide to do any intensive work on your car AND it makes it look much nicer and more respectable to your peers. It will also get you acclimated with everything in your engine bay. If you don't know what something is or how to clean it. Look it up!

With your spare time, Read a lot! As much as you can. There is a lot of fun to be had with A series motors. You're open to head swaps and a hand full of other options too. Checkout http://www.club4ag.com/ Very good info over there.

If you decide turbo is what you want and where you want to be, Start by getting an SAFC or e-manage. Start tuning your NA engine here and there to get used to everything before you add boost to it. Since tuning is your life line in a FI platform it's paramount to get it the best you can.

Then take your time and piece the kit together the way you want. every part will effect your end result. Don't cheap out where it counts. You wouldn't buy condoms from ebay would you?

Enjoy your stay. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Cavanagh
08-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered it. Is it manual or auto? Also, good deals on 4/7afe turbo kits pop up often.
BTW, isn't is scary as hell trying to get the ST fast enough to get get up to highway speeds coming via onramp? :hehe:

celicaSThelpme
08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
LOL thanks guys

alright ill go clean the engine today

but half of that went over my head LOL

i was thinking of going to the junkyard today to look for spare parts

thanks guys :D

ill be here often and if anyone is selling a kit, PM me please :)

just got payed today woot

celica91gts
08-12-2008, 10:53 AM
im glad we just got such an enthusiastic new member. welcome man

celicaSThelpme
08-13-2008, 12:41 AM
except out of stupidity i spelled celica wrong in my name LMFAO

haha so what are some fun mods i can do to my baby with 150 dollars LOL

dups90gt
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
that's 150 more then me! :) welcome man!

celicaSThelpme
08-13-2008, 01:07 AM
lol but your car atm would own mine :P

i decided after talking to my buddies that i want to try for a turbo

nothing fancy really just something so i can keep up with my buddies CRX, and my other buddies talon

my budget is around 1000, in the next 3 months so please any suggestions would be great

thanks

90CelicaST
08-13-2008, 01:21 AM
haha so what are some fun mods i can do to my baby with 150 dollars LOL
Put it in the bank and save it. Common mods you would buy for it now would be of no use after doing a turbo setup.

celicaSThelpme
08-13-2008, 06:35 AM
alright ill start to save but cant i buy pieces for a turbo or should i buy it as a kit??

Galcobar
08-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Until you understand how and why a turbo works and will be able to comfortably discuss turbo types, flow rates, intercooler sizing, etc., don't buy anything.

An uninformed purchase inevitably falls into one of two categories: paid too much, or bought the wrong thing.

celicaSThelpme
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Well i need something to work on

wait what about getting a full exhaust :)

that would be good for it right???

well the thing is all my friends are pushing 160-200 HP and i cant keep up with them at all

i just want to push somewhere close to that

of course without an engine swap unless...........is there any way to just swap the head like the hondas mini-me swap??

ciento44
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Well i need something to work on

wait what about getting a full exhaust :)

that would be good for it right???

well the thing is all my friends are pushing 160-200 HP and i cant keep up with them at all

i just want to push somewhere close to that

of course without an engine swap unless...........is there any way to just swap the head like the hondas mini-me swap??

N/A exhaust setup will not be the same as a turbo setup in a perfect world. So... i wouldn't even bother with that.

celicaSThelpme
08-13-2008, 02:13 PM

dups90gt
08-14-2008, 01:40 AM
put the 125 in the bank and go use the 25 for some beer! get some chips, sit down and then start reading up on your car and others who have done mods to their st's that will give you a basic run down on which direction you want to go. At this point you will not be able to keep up with them but don't sweat it, take your time and choose the weekend projects you want to work on and spend your money wisely. You work at Wal Mart so you should know how hard it is to make money, the worst thing you can do is save up, jump in blind and waste you hard earned money.. holy crap I sound like a parent! Have fun saving gas for now as the engine you have is reliable and good on gas. Laugh at your buddies 200hp machine at the pumps!

Regards
Dad.. ;P

tekstep01
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
yeah quickest way to mod is to wait, and shop around. look for things relevant to what you want, or search and price out the parts you want to buy, like headers, greddy exaust, MSD ignition, ect..... then put em on a sheet of paper and work for em and save up, figure what you want first... and get it.... takes years to perfect your car to your liking if your as picky as a majority of us. and dont give up after the socket wrench slipps off the bolt and you brain your self, just scream i love this crap! and when it isnt fun anymore, thats when your really accomplishing stuff..... but it gets fun again (when you drive it!) and you'll be proud you did it your-self!
Good luck, and God Speed.
TEK

Ghosty
08-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Just to chime in here, since I'm a fellow ST owner...

Like everyone says, a good place to start is some research about how a turbo system actually works. It's important to know a BOV from an intercooler, and a turbo timer from a wideband 02 sensor. We've all go to start somewhere, right?

After that, I'd start to do some application-specific research. What's my budget? How much horsepower are you looking for (realistically)? How much boost is that going to take? Will I need rods/ pistons at that level of boost, or can I keep them stock? What kind of engine management am I going to need, and how do I set it up so that it all works right? What have others been able to do, and who can I track down for specific information?

Next, probably, is writing all of the specifics down on paper. Make a list of parts you will need. Check and double check your calculations. Make sure you're not buying something you don't need (rods when you're not pushing much pressure, valve jobs that might hurt performance, cams that would make your car perform poorly on the street), and buying the stuff you do need (an intercooler is not optional in my book).

After that, it's waiting for parts to come in. Then it's all execution and calibrating. Probably some troubleshooting in between each.

Try ordering a copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost (http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218948583&sr=8-1). It's a pretty intense book, but I'll be damned if it won't tell you how to put a turbo car together -- the right way.

I have a copy, and I can refer to it if you have any technical questions about designing a system. For installation, testing and troubleshooting, you might need to go to someone else.

The bottom line is setting a specific, achievable goal, and designing a system for your exact specifications.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

tekstep01
08-18-2008, 05:24 AM
Here's a budget tip, Go to the junkyard and look for gt-s and gt parts (From your gen. of car) to upgrade your car IE; Brakes, gt-s springs, perhaps a 240kph cluster?
Ripping interior parts is always a safe bet, if you got a cracked dash, or messed up center console.
Easy mods:
1. buying another set of tail lights, and Fabbing custom Clearcorners, or black em' out (with Opaque Grey testors Model Paint)
2. Changing the Cluster's Light Colorhttp://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735&highlight=custom+cluster
theres many options out there, low budget to Rich mans dream! look in some of the archived posts or check out the modding posts....
G/L! ~TEK

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Sweet im working on the budget there and ill check out the junkyards next week when i get payed

thanks all :D

dups90gt
08-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Good Luck buddy!

nyana107
08-19-2008, 01:24 AM
being an st owner, performance wise n/a, we're pretty limited. all you can pretty much do is i/h/e. if you want more out of the engine. turbo is the way. i'm not sure if "Tom's" still have a turbo kit available for the 4afe. might've been discontinued. anyways enjoy your gas milage while lookin fast. i know i did when mine was running. :)

Ghosty
08-19-2008, 02:18 AM
being an st owner, performance wise n/a, we're pretty limited. all you can pretty much do is i/h/e. if you want more out of the engine. turbo is the way. i'm not sure if "Tom's" still have a turbo kit available for the 4afe. might've been discontinued. anyways enjoy your gas milage while lookin fast. i know i did when mine was running. :)

I looked for this mythic TOM'S 4AFE turbo kit for a while and couldn't find them. Only sold on Japan store shelves, and there was a very small number of them.

You are better of building a kit anyway. That way you really get to know the guts of the system and buy a system that fits your needs and budget.

To add what other people have said -- your best bet might just be to spruce her up a little. Convert your rear drum brakes to a disk brake from the same generation GT-S hatchback. Set your suspension up, polyurethane bushings, etc. Intake/exhaust/header. Get some nice aftermarket wheels with sticky-compound rubber. Take care of the paint. Then cruise around and enjoy your MPG and sweet looks!

On a related note, your car may not be the fastest in a straight line. However, the Celica ST is the lightest trim in its generation. Meaning you can get the most out of your car in the corners (think AutoX). So it would make sense to spend the bulk of your attention where it makes the most difference -- on the suspension. You'll probably come to appreciate that aspect of the ST.

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
HAHA thanks

now thast good news :)

im going to the junkyard next tuesday to pick up some parts

Read Disk breaks, What should i do to the suspension, and the bearings that has me confussed

just got brand new tires so thats good

and im gonna try to get her painted this weekend

idk my best options yet tho haha

any ideas??

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Also if i was to go with an intercooler, i would have to ditch the CAI right??

Where are the cheapest place i could find performance cams for my car??

also im looking for decent high compression pistons if thats what i need

What about a new ECU, or a chip to make it better..................any suggestions??

im doing everything i can before a turbo so that i learn w/o blowing my engine :D

i want cheap but reliable

Galcobar
08-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Then you don't get fast. This is a very old truism.

Learn first, do second. That's another truism.

You're going the opposite route, which generally leads to one of two results: abandoning a project because you screwed it up; or doing a whole bunch of stuff and then realising part-way through that you either did it wrong or want to go in another direction, meaning you have to throw out all your prior work to do it right.

tekstep01
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
do you have the haynes or Chiltons book for your car? if not cop one of them before attempting any heavy-metal stuff... if you do then; buy new struts, check all the suspension bushings, check your brake pads... if your gonna get disc brakes from a junkyard make sure you get the rotors, calipers, backing plate, the banjo bolt & line, the whole e-brake assembly & cable (the e-brake cable in drum brakes is diffrent from the disc cable) if you go to a wrecking place, where you pull the parts yourself, bring a Breaker Bar (at least 1 1/2 foot long) a good socket wrench, WD40, A 8' inch or bigger C-clamp (to press the brake piston back) 3/4' deep socket & box wrench, 17 mm socket & box wrench 14mm deep socket, and 10&12mm regular sockets or box wrenches and some extra sockets for ect. a good set of long nose pliers to get the parking bake springs... consult a haynes or chiltons for the (their version of) exact procedure.... oh wear gloves when your torque'n on bolts cause if they slip you can really get some fun skinned fingers! and it hurts...
have fun gettin greasy! ~tek

ciento44
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Also if i was to go with an intercooler, i would have to ditch the CAI right??

Where are the cheapest place i could find performance cams for my car??

also im looking for decent high compression pistons if thats what i need

What about a new ECU, or a chip to make it better..................any suggestions??

im doing everything i can before a turbo so that i learn w/o blowing my engine :D

Dude..... really.

Learn about cars first. Even just basic stuff. Learn how to do an oil change first. Then learn harder stuff like replacing brakes. Then move on to suspension.

In all honesty, if you're asking the questions you just asked, i wouldn't want to see you boost your car in the next year or so, because you WILL blow it up. I'm scared for your car right now even non-boosted.

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, me and my buddy are going to the junkyard either today or tomarrow to just check out how hard this will be :D, ill let you all know how that went

dude didnt you read my last sentence

im gonna keep it NA for now

im not gonna turbo till sometime next year

i just want to slowly up grade all the parts on the engine first

Actually i know how to do an oil change, thanks LOL

90CelicaST
08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Sell the Celica and get your CRX back. End of story.

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
hell no

i like working on this car

alot more fun things i can do and in the end it has MUCH better potential for power HAHA

and my CRX just got me into trouble

Kastigir
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
hell no

i like working on this car

alot more fun things i can do and in the end it has MUCH better potential for power HAHA

and my CRX just got me into trouble
I've refrained commenting until now. If your CRX got you into trouble, what do you think a modified Celica is going to do? I think you need to grow up a bit before you start going faster.

As far as the Celica having more potential for power, you're not very bright. A K-series CRX, would be one of the quickest N/A 4 cylinders you'd ever drive.

celicaSThelpme
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
yea a k series crx would cost me a fucking fortune

and it got me into trouble from others............not the cops LOL

ciento44
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
dude didnt you read my last sentence

im gonna keep it NA for now

im not gonna turbo till sometime next year

i just want to slowly up grade all the parts on the engine first

Actually i know how to do an oil change, thanks LOL

Then why are you asking about an intercooler in the same post?

There's no chip that will give you more power on that motor.

2nded for getting the CRX back.

You don't need a k-series to make it stupid fast. Both 91celicaST and i know this. I've had two CRXs in the 11s with no turbo.

Jeffx28
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure what you think its going to cost to get your ST going fast but it ain't going to be cheap. Do yourself a favor and figure how this "going fast" works first, you have a lot of enthusiasm but you are making yourself appear as if you have no sweet clue what you are talking about...which may be true, so sit down and figure it out if you are really serious about it and then start reading the forums...you might just learn something.

Good Luck

ciento44
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM

and it got me into trouble from others............not the cops LOL

Actually.... let me switch gears here...

How much do you know about hondas?

How much do you think it costs to put a K-series in a CRX? Let's actually include this to Civic in general.

Notice i'm not specifically saying Type S K20 w/ 6-speed.

I would bet good money you could get a K-series civic done for less than it would cost to get an ST celica to break 13s.

If you want something like 13s on the cheap in your ST, then i would suggest a V6 swap and go from there. But again..... lots of learning to do before you start buying ANYTHING.

david in germany
08-20-2008, 03:58 PM
except out of stupidity i spelled celica wrong in my name LMFAO

Would you like me to add the "a"?

90CelicaST
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I would bet good money you could get a K-series civic done for less than it would cost to get an ST celica to break 13s.
Is this an open challenge?:waveoz:

PhillyDRFT
08-20-2008, 04:15 PM

I really hope so!

david in germany
08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
on a side note for the ST.
Step one- Don't turbo or even think of a turbo install on the 4a-fe, You WILL start breaking things and will cost you more in the end then just waiting for a GT or an alltrac.
The thing to focus on are the suspension, Get a set of H&R and install them yourself to get familiar with the way it is setup. You may not have a fast car but you have a curve carver! There have been MANY cars that have tried to keep up with my ST in the curvies and failed! Take advantage of that!

I have tried many things on my Celica, exhaust, intake, different springs, header, different mufflers and I have now the prefect setup.. K&N drop in filter, Stock exhaust manifold, stock type exhaust and lowered with H&R. The car is dependable and purrs to me when I hit the key. Not to mention 33-36mpg..

If you want to make a race car start with something different. If you want something that is dependable and fun to drive, keep the Celica the way it is!

ciento44
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Hahaha.... You don't count.

Although.... this could be fun. But with you, we do cheapest to 11s, k? :hehe:

You know how i feel about K-series, though. And just from that i think you know what i'd do.

Jeffx28
08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
^ Good info david in germany, OP you have the lightest version of the coupe use that to your advantage, get out an do some Autocross you will love it, I guarantee it. Now go order them springs before you go buying some silly turbo parts.

celicaSThelpme
08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Would you like me to add the "a"?

yes please :D

but yea i know actually alot about hondas, my buddy is gonna do a k swap in his integra but it might not cost much but here are the three things i wont do the swap in my honda

1. Its already been broken into once, next time they might just steal the car (afterall hondas are the most stolen car in my state)

2.The cops were after me like crazy, it was gay..............then again my car was RICED up like hell which was also kinda gay

3.i wanted something new to play with and this guy just so happned to want a straight up trade which trust me........this car is worth ALOT more :)

but yea im looking into suspension right now, already got a CAI, im gonna get a full exhaust and headers, Rear disk breaks from the GT

once i do those simple things then we can talk more but atm as DAVID said "I enjoy my gas millage"

CPincy
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Not to be a dick or anything...but im with ciento im kinda scared for your car...you have alot more learning to do about turbo systems..

I have a turbo'd celica GT and im always willing to teach..PM me if you'd like i might have time to do some type of mini-write up explaining basics and such but we'll see with me having work and college right now.

celicaSThelpme
08-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks that would be sweet

but atm im not planning on turbo'ing my car anytime soon

im just gonna do the basics right now :)

Ghosty
08-21-2008, 02:44 AM
on a side note for the ST.
Step one- Don't turbo or even think of a turbo install on the 4a-fe, You WILL start breaking things and will cost you more in the end then just waiting for a GT or an alltrac.

I'm not so sure that a 4AFE wouldn't make a reasonable engine to turbo. It might not have the high-performance oil squirters of the 4AGE, but the engine has a low enough compression ratio that it should be ok under low/mild boost conditions. I don't see how turboing the 4AFE would be any more different than a turbo'd 5SFE.

... still if I were going to spend time and money in my Celica ST, I'd wait until I could afford a Levin BZR half clip. A 20v 4AGE and a 6 speed transmission with LSD stock? Hell yes.

Cavanagh
08-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Thanks that would be sweet

but atm im not planning on turbo'ing my car anytime soon

im just gonna do the basics right now :)
You're gunna pay hundreds of dollars for your car to have about 3 more horses...TOPS, and not to the wheels.

H8PVMNT
08-21-2008, 04:11 AM
I had a '92 ST and it was really fun despite the fact that it was underpowered. I made a short ram for it and made strait 2.25 exhaust with no cat and it really helped alot. Not huge power, but definately good seat of the pants gains for very little cash.

Your power is only available a higher RPMS, so rev it up man!

A good tune up will also do wonders. Buy stock toyota wires, cap and rotor and the niponsenso iridium plugs. Get a timing light and advance a couple of degrees beyond stock setings. You have to feel it out to find the sweet spot. I think I ran mine at 14 degrees BTDC. The nice thing about your car is that it can get like 40 mpg when tuned up properly!

The other great thing about your ST is that is is a really good handling car, just like all our Celicas. After my few cheap mods and tune up I focused on improving the handling. Get some good springs in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch drop variety. I like the Eighbach Pro-Kit but there are alot of good springs available. Any more drop will hurt your handling unless you drop some coin on really expensive parts. I like KYB GR-2s for shocks, not to stiff and valved just right.

And I also always use polyeutethane sway bar bushings. They make your car corner hard and flat and they are only like $40. I use universal application greasable sway bar bushings from energy suspension. I think we have 26mm fronts and 17mm rear sway bars, but measure yours before you order. You have to scew with th rear ones to fit the stock mounting locations but they work with a little triming.

Get some good z rated performance tires on 15s slightly smaller than the stock diameter. This gives you a bit lower effective gearing which will help a bit off the line. Everybody goes bigger with tires and rims because it is in style these days but this will only dog your car out more bgecause it has to turn more tire! With this very cheap setup you'll be able to corner so hard that it will be uncomfortable!

Do all this and your honda buddies who smoke you in the drags will never be able to keep up with you in the corners! :bigthumbu

Not trying to be a self proclaimed expert but this is what I did to my ST and it really worked! :)

Peel of your ST emblems too, it make the car go faster!

david in germany
08-21-2008, 04:45 AM
yes please :D

done. now go do a tuneup on you Celica using STOCK wires and NGK or Denso plugs and some fresh synthetic oil and OEM Toyota filter.

Murgatroy
08-21-2008, 05:01 AM
done. now go do a tuneup on you Celica using STOCK wires and NGK or Denso plugs and some fresh synthetic oil and OEM Toyota filter.
Depending on his mileage he doesn't want to use synthetic oil.

celicaSThelpme
08-21-2008, 05:44 AM
haha WOW thanks David

and WOW WOW WOW H8PVMNT

that was great, im gonna use all of your advice and tune the car really nice for corners :)

and i wont turbo it till i really really understand what im doing cuz the last thing i want to do is blow my engine haha

thanks all

if i have any more questions, ill just ask here

and you all know i will :)

celicaSThelpme
08-21-2008, 07:01 AM
That was quick

iv been reading about what others have been doing and everytime i read something about a

4agze swap

3 questions!!

1. Is it easy, bolt right on?
2.how much should i expect to pay?
3.Is it worth it and will that be a much nicer way to go?

thanks

celica91gts
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
only thing i know about them is that they are supercharged and have forged pistons =). either way, things to know about swaps is. 1) buying a whole front clip usually makes the swap 10 times easier. 2) you will need different wiring harnesses and the 4agze ecu. and 3) you need to find out if it will bolt up to your car. (use the same engine mounts) or if you will need to custom fabricate engine mounts to be able to mount it in your car. all in all an engine swap is a very challenging job and i have not even scratched the surface of things you need to know to be able to do a swap. if you do plan on doing an engine swap. start reading up man =)

edit: also that it was made for a fr car. so you have to find a tranny that will work to make it a ff car.

correct me if im wrong. i dont know much about the 4agze

90CelicaST
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
That was quick

iv been reading about what others have been doing and everytime i read something about a

4agze swap

3 questions!!

thanks
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3431&highlight=4agze

david in germany
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Depending on his mileage he doesn't want to use synthetic oil.
As long as the car has been maintained as it should have been, he will be fine. Mine has ONLY run Synthetic since I have owned it. (this included the original changes by Toyota)

david in germany
08-21-2008, 12:29 PM
That was quick

4agze swap

3 questions!!

thanks
1. no, mostly no
2. more than you will pay for a used GT
3. depends on what you want and if you can fabricate things or have a shop that can fabricate parts for you on the cheap.

JEDI
08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Save up for a 4age 20v or 4agze. Period.

celicaSThelpme
08-21-2008, 06:29 PM
ok iv had 3 different answers LOL

i just need to know if it bolts right on or am i gonna need a tranny too and a new wiring harness

david in germany
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
No it doesn't just bolt up. You will need an adapted harness, new computer, custom exhaust, the tranny from the new engine and you will most likely have problems finding the correct axles and hubs.
See my post above.

Hiko
08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Rear disk breaks from the GT

Jumping back a few topics here, I have to remind you that you are cursed with 4 lugs. Only the 90-91 ST's got this (in the 5th gen), so by upgrading to rear disks, you will also be converting to rear 5 lugs. To convert the front, I'd be surprised if the GT / GT-S hubs didn't physically bolt up to everything, but the axels might be a problem. I'm sure another CTech member will know for sure.

Expanding on suspension, you do not want to forget about the sway bars themselves. For the rear I'd recommend (as I always do) to get a Suspension Techniques bar. It already comes with the required poly bushings, and it's only 130 from summit racing. For the front, Whiteline is your only option, and it's up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. I have read that a properly sized front sway bar can reduced understeer, but have not tried it myself.

As for tires, I recommend you go to tirerack.com and look by brand and focus on high or ultra high performance summer tires. Read the reviews on them to see if you do alright in the rain, but take the reviews on grip with a grain of salt. Most people who write those reviews never drive their cars to the point of getting the tires to squeal. As far as brands to check goes, I recommend Kuhmo, Yokohama and Hankook. Falken is also a good brand, (If tire wear or rain isn't a problem, I'd recommend their RT-615's) but not sold on tirerack. Vulcantire is the best place I've found to buy Falken.

And lastly, if you do end up doing a full 5 lug conversion and require new wheels, do not neglect the weight of the wheel in your search for aesthetics. It does make a difference. I also would not get a wheel bigger than 16", not for any performance reason, per se, but because once you pass 16", tires start getting much more expensive.

car
08-23-2008, 03:31 AM
...with a grain of salt. Most people who write those reviews never drive their cars to the point of getting the tires to squeal...

I have nice, really crappy all-season doughnuts, and they squeal WAY too easy. They squeal when I'm not even being that hard on them, but I will get new tires when I need them and hopefully, rims.

JEDI
08-23-2008, 07:46 AM
No it doesn't just bolt up. You will need an adapted harness, new computer, custom exhaust, the tranny from the new engine and you will most likely have problems finding the correct axles and hubs.
See my post above.

umm yes the 4a series does bolt right in. 20v or gze. the engines will bolt to your old tranny and the same mounts. also my old axles fit right into the silvertops tranny and they are what I am currently using. The only hard part is the wireing. But there are people I have seen on here, such as tweak that can make you a plug and play harness for a price. It can be easy if you research and ask questions ;).

celicaSThelpme
08-23-2008, 07:15 PM
haha thanks

sooo my best bet is to save up for the

4agze engine but i dont need the tranny...............