PDA

View Full Version : problems w/ 91 gts

johnboi85
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
when i put it in drive (automatic trans) and step on the gas to accelerate, the car starts to bog and when i floor it, it seems as if the brakes are on. when i rev in neutral, it revs up fine. what could be the problem? i bought it for 500 bucks in good condition except for this condition. old owner says its the transmission. thanks

k.beaty
08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
check your timing, just throw a timing light on it and make sure that its all good.

mikeboot
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
prob jumped a tooth on the timing, exactly what mine did when i replaced the timing belt.

k.beaty
08-08-2008, 05:04 PM
prob jumped a tooth on the timing, exactly what mine did when i replaced the timing belt.

Yeah, thats what i meant. The easiest way is to just use a timing light and if it is off, you'll have to take everything apart and line your crank pully and everything back to Top Dead Center and put the timing belt back on. I suggest replacing the timing belt while you have this all apart as well. It will help you out in the long run.

celicaGT90_05
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
if the car is off a tooth, when sitting still with no load the motor will act completely fine, but as soon as you put load in it, it will act as you say. Thats a likely answer, sorry but a transmission wont do that.

mikeboot
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, thats what i meant. The easiest way is to just use a timing light and if it is off, you'll have to take everything apart and line your crank pully and everything back to Top Dead Center and put the timing belt back on. I suggest replacing the timing belt while you have this all apart as well. It will help you out in the long run.

just pull the alternator, drive belts and motor mount and pull only the top motor mount.

you should be able to reach the tensioner and correct the belt

johnboi85
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
ok i did a little work on the celica today. i was at work when a car came in with the exact problem as my car. changed the cat converter and the car ran like a champ. so when got home, i pulled the cat to find that the metal inside was melting and blocking exhaust flow. i gut the cat and put it back on. drove it around the block and it ran better but the bogging and stumbling was still there. decide to pull a plug and they were pretty worn. i changed the plugs, dist. rotor, dist. cap. couldnt change the wires due to getting the wrong part from the parts department ( wires are original btw). i suspected it had bad gas due to the car sitting for a while so i filled up w/ fresh gas. drove it around the block and car ran really well. b4 i did anything it would bog from the get go. now it bogs a little when accelerating but after 2k rpms, it runs fine w/ no bog or lag. so now my problem is now a bog at low rpms. could this still be the timing belt jumping a tooth? also is there a fuel filter on this car and where is it? i figure i'll do some heavily needed maintenance work b4 ripping into it. thankks

ciento44
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
ok i did a little work on the celica today. i was at work when a car came in with the exact problem as my car. changed the cat converter and the car ran like a champ. so when got home, i pulled the cat to find that the metal inside was melting and blocking exhaust flow. i gut the cat and put it back on. drove it around the block and it ran better but the bogging and stumbling was still there. decide to pull a plug and they were pretty worn. i changed the plugs, dist. rotor, dist. cap. couldnt change the wires due to getting the wrong part from the parts department ( wires are original btw). i suspected it had bad gas due to the car sitting for a while so i filled up w/ fresh gas. drove it around the block and car ran really well. b4 i did anything it would bog from the get go. now it bogs a little when accelerating but after 2k rpms, it runs fine w/ no bog or lag. so now my problem is now a bog at low rpms. could this still be the timing belt jumping a tooth? also is there a fuel filter on this car and where is it? i figure i'll do some heavily needed maintenance work b4 ripping into it. thankks

Fuel filter is underneath your intake piping, a little lower than the brake master cylinder.

It's not your timing.... if it was off a tooth, it would run like craptastic above 2k rpms.

Is it misfiring below 2k rpms?

johnboi85
08-10-2008, 10:47 AM
ok i got great news. problem was found and resolved. it turns out the old owner was trying to fix the problem himself and tried to compensate the bad cat by retarding the distributor timing. i found it max retarded. timed the vehicle correctly and now car runs like a champ!

celicaGT90_05
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM
gotta love people who "know" what they are doing