PDA

View Full Version : Celica Intake

wisky-
08-08-2008, 02:58 AM
What is the best intake for a celica? How long do they take to install and is it difficult? What kind of power gain will the car get?
Thanks

freestylebiker33
08-08-2008, 03:11 AM
i have seen rmr racing intakes and they look very nice ross maching
and power depends if u have corresponding parts as in tvis eliminator, exhaust or a nice throttle body

wisky-
08-08-2008, 04:28 AM
How Bout the install?

Smaay
08-08-2008, 04:46 AM
i think you are asking for a CAI or SRI. nobody makes an intake manifold for the 7th gen celicas. as for CAI, the AEM makes the best gains. check out www.newcelica.org

freestylebiker33
08-08-2008, 09:48 AM
opps thought he ment 5th gen.. i guess i should of asked first

3tc power
08-08-2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/images/large/mr2intakemustangcenter1t.jpg

Ross FTW

wisky-
08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Are AEM CAI hard to install?

vip09
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
I used to have the AEM replica CAI from eBay and it was very easy to install.

wisky-
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Did you have to jack the car up?

Lagos
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I think the original poster is asking for a basic short ram intake.
Moving this post to the NA discussion forum where it belongs.

Hiko
08-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Just throwing this out there. The 2zzge has sometimes been known to lose torque with simple bolt-ons. It's been a long time since I've seen the dynos, but there was a before and after from stock to intake and exhaust where it picked up something like 10hp up top, but at the expense of around 10ft-lbs down low. You might be better off putting in a K&N drop-in filter and calling it a day.

METDeath
08-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Did you have to jack the car up?

The fact that your asking this question makes me wonder if you should EVEN hold a wrench. Do you know where your air filter is? Do you see where it leads to? Still think you need to jack the car up?

wisky-
08-09-2008, 07:08 AM
well in the aem instruction thinger it said you should. i thought it wasnt necessary so i was just checking

Murgatroy
08-09-2008, 07:46 AM
The fact that your asking this question makes me wonder if you should EVEN hold a wrench. Do you know where your air filter is? Do you see where it leads to? Still think you need to jack the car up?
Some CIA for the 7th Gen is kinda intricate, I have seen some write-ups for them that require you to remove your fender and/or nosepiece for an install.

METDeath
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Hrm, so they do actually make a true CAI for 7th gens? Not just the Short Ram everyone thinks is a CAI? Oh, well that makes me feel kinda penisy...

wisky-
08-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah some people with the AEM CAI are sayin they had to remove the driver side tire too.

wisky-
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
One more question. Does anybody have info on how it install the bypass valve in a CAI and is it very effective?

freestylebiker33
08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
well im assuming u want to install a aftermarket blow off valve on ur boosted car right? it is smart to run a bov on a boosted car. but sometimes having a bov bleed boost to atmosphere, tends to make the car run a bit rich during decell on a mass air flow sensor car, if u are not boosted dont runn it

Hiko
08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
^I think he's referring to the tiny filter put on CAI's to allow air into the engine in case the main filter gets wet. If that's the case, it really is just a matter of buying a small filter and drilling a hole in the side to install it, or buying an AEM bypass valve.

Just make sure you do something about it. My dad picked up an SRT-4 that had been hydrolocked to rebuild it. The water in the combustion chamber snapped the forged connecting rod like a twig, and that was when they were just trying to start it!

Slider
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
One more question. Does anybody have info on how it install the bypass valve in a CAI and is it very effective?

If you're going to be driving through some deeper water then yes it's effective. It depends how low your intake is. Your filter has to be COMPLETELY submerged in order to suck up water.

wisky-
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
So rain or snow doesn't screw up anything?

ciento44
08-12-2008, 06:03 PM
So rain or snow doesn't screw up anything?

Nope.

Slider
08-12-2008, 06:09 PM
As long as you don't drive through a deep enough puddle to completely submerge the air filter, you'll be fine.

Think of yourself drinking something through a straw when the straw opening is submerged completely you suck up liquid. If you angle the straw so half the opening is in the liquid and half of it is in the air, you'll be sucking up all air. It's the same deal with the engine if you were in a situation where half the filter is submerged, it's going to be sucking up air through the part that's not submerged. However if the entire thing is submerged, it acts like a vacuum since there is no air it will suck up the water.

If you're worried that you might drive through water that deep get yourself a bypass valve http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20

wisky-
08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys that helps

VikingJZ
08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Just get a K&N drop in.

The more I read about stuff, the less I like Ebay SRI's and exposed filters.

I mean, has anyone ACTUALLY dynoed a stock 5SFE using a drop in K&N and then immediately replacing it with an SRI?

I doubt it.

At least for my car the SRI usually loses HP unless you're boosted, but since you pretty much have a bone stock car, its not doing anything but sounding cool.

ciento44
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Just get a K&N drop in.

The more I read about stuff, the less I like Ebay SRI's and exposed filters.

I mean, has anyone ACTUALLY dynoed a stock 5SFE using a drop in K&N and then immediately replacing it with an SRI?

I doubt it.

At least for my car the SRI usually loses HP unless you're boosted, but since you pretty much have a bone stock car, its not doing anything but sounding cool.

^Bish.... mine is awesome. You know you liked it.