PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Trip - Possible Problems?

bobbyboy987
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
im going on a road trip and will be driving about 6 hours on the highway
i have a fairly old car (1990) and was just wondering what kinda problems might creep up during the trip

the car runs with no problems on the highway but ive never driven for this long before.
coolant levels are good and my next oil change isnt till the end of sept.

anything suggestions would help, thanks

Murgatroy
08-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Faith and Duct Tape.

Chaos and I have made the Knoxvegas-Indy run more times than I can count. Never had an issue.

When was the last time your timing belt was done? All regular maintenance? What about your tires?

Colossus20v
08-06-2008, 01:51 AM
I would worry more about tires than anything. I've made numerous trips from Pittsburgh to Nashville, Florida, GA, etc. and they only problem I have ever really had was a blown tire and that was in KY.

Anyway, as long as everything is running well you should be fine. I would just check and make sure your fluids are all filled and then your good to go.

bobbyboy987
08-06-2008, 02:34 AM
i also have a extra set of tires, should i bring a spare tire?
i dont have a spare wheel w/tire in my trunk
or are most punctures able to be fixed at a tire shop?

Murgatroy
08-06-2008, 02:48 AM
It depends on the puncture.

There are countless ways a tire can fail. I have rarely seen two tires fail in the same way.

I would suggest getting a spare wheel for a tire. You should never make a road trip without a spare.

T-spoon
08-06-2008, 02:48 AM
i also have a extra set of tires, should i bring a spare tire?
i dont have a spare wheel w/tire in my trunk
or are most punctures able to be fixed at a tire shop?

Well, being stranded sucks, especially over something silly like a tire. I recommend going to a junkyard and picking up a steel Celi wheel for dirt cheap and get one of your spare tires mounted. I wouldn't drive cross country at all without a spare of some kind, personally

Ads28
08-06-2008, 02:51 AM
always bring a spare on a decent trip, yes most punctures are repairable..but ud be surprised how many arn't...just cause u get a simple nail in your tire..but say you dont notice it till ur sidewall is trashed..well now u need a new tire...i always have a full spare with me whenver i go somewhere far from home

And needless to say the tools needed to change a tire

But yea make sure all fluids are topped up, all your tire pressure's are equal, doesnt hurt to have some extra fluids with you,
I've always got a decent Multi-Tool and some electrical tape in the glove box..i dunno i guess i always over plan ma trips but hey never know what u may need :)

liplip
08-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I just got home from a camping trip which is about 5 hrs trip one way.My car is a 90 gt and I had no problem whatsoever.Before leaving, i made sure that the tire pressure were good, fluids(coolant, oil, brake, transmission, windshield washer) were topped up.

VikingJZ
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I know someone that got temporarily stranded on a Tennessee highway for a blow out.

Wonder who that could be? hmmm ;)

ciento44
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I drove my 93 GT constantly between Indy and Syracuse, NY. Talk more like a 13 hour trip. Never had a problem.

Bring a spare.

tuner4life
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
^ Viking Its slipping my mind at the moment... lol

Highway driving is very easy on a car compared to your daily driving. Just make sure the tires are good and you have a spare. Check all fluids, and you should be fine.

Physlis
08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I just made a 1800 mile trip from Pittsburgh PA to Salt Lake City UT and only had one problem, a blown tire. The funny thing is it wasn't mine. I went to pass a semi and ran over a blown semi tire. It cracked my front bumper and I lost a fog light about 300 miles later. Other than that, not a single issue even after having my half-shaft pull out of my transmission a few days prior and doing a guesswork fix.