PDA

View Full Version : Update for Ciento *Honda novel warning*

90CelicaST
08-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Well, we took the CRX to the drag strip Friday night. Unfortunately, it will also be its last for a while.

First, the good news, the actual passes. Our track (Steele, AL) sucks. Cars on slicks spin like it's nothing. So mind you, these three runs are going to look weird, and it's because of spinning and even without hard launches. First run 13.3 @ 119. Second run 13.0 @ 117. See a pattern here? Third run...12.6 @ 113. I can't explain it, but as the ETs got quicker, the trap speeds got lower. Well, after the third pass, he said as soon as he passed the big end, it skipped and popped a little then died. He tried cranking it back up, but all it would do is "clunk". We got down to him in the return lane, tried to crank it, "clunk" it's locked up. No holes in the block, no fluids leaking. Oh no.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Started tearing it down. Soon as we get the exhaust manifold off, let's feel the ports for anything weird. Damn, same thing as last time, you can feel valves, and I don't mean the stems. Well, we know it's done it again. Jumped time(we confirmed this earlier by looking at the timing on the cams and crank of course) bent valves, ruined stuff. We get the head off. OMG. We thought the last one was bad. Now just to freshen your memory, the last time it happened, it was at the dyno, and broke around 5K RPMs. Now, imagine it happening at 8000+ RPM on the far end of the strip. Pics below. So, another piston is gone, the head is completely ruined. We start over. Fucking Hondas.

Eh, I just realized I forgot to resize the images, and they are too large to post in the thread, so just check out my gallery.

METDeath
08-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Wow... jumped time twice? I'd see if something was wrong with the pulleys. Perhaps one has a bearing on the way out?

partyball
08-03-2008, 04:35 AM
Good runs. Im guessing there is another thread about your CRX posted somewhere that I havent read. Mind posting the link so I can catch up.

90CelicaST
08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
METDeath, when we were tearing it down, we did have a look at the crank timing pulley. It does seem worn down in places and could have been the point of failure. But, after we built it the second time, he drove it HARD to street tune it, several times.

partyball, there isn't another thread, but I will paste the PM I sent Ciento before on the subject. I wrote this before we fully knew what had happened. It turns out, it didn't destroy the seats in all 4. It was bits of the one that was sucked back into the intake manifold, and came to rest in the other cyclinders.

Since I know you like Honduhs, figured I would show you these pictures. This is from my good friend's LS/VTEC. Bored enough to make ~2.1L, GT35R turbo, 3in downpipe, blah blah blah. Dynod it today, and while tuning it, this happened at around 5000rpm.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/combust.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/pistonside.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/pistontop.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/7/port.JPG

Destroyed the valve seats in all four cylinders. Was a nasty site. Running 10psi and basic tuning, it was making 268FWHP but was far from perfect. On the last run it started skipping real bad at 5000rpm and then died. Checked the wires, dizzy, and plugs. Pulled the plug out of number 2 and the electrode was smashed up into the rest of the plug.

partyball
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Looks like a fun project. Sucks that you toasted another engine though.

90CelicaST
08-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah. B16 heads are getting harder to find. Luckily, the first head we screwed up is repairable, so we're gonna have it fixed and try again.

85gtsblackman
08-03-2008, 05:59 PM
i think ya'll should turbo your 4a or get a turboed 22re powered ride :wiggle:

ciento44
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Damn man..... Looks like it would have really moved on a good track, too. :( Sucks to hear.

Wish i had known you guys needed a B16 head.... i just sold mine last week, so fresh and so clean, GSR cams, mild port/polish done by Stewart Engines locally.

What kind of 60' was he running?

Is the tensioner on that thing ok? We had a problem last time we did a built D16, in that the tensioner would hold for about 3 minutes of run time at idle, and then jump enough that it would stop running. Took us forever to figure out wtf was going on, and then we decided to just dump the internals in a new block because the bolt on the tensioner was stripped, was pretty cool.

90CelicaST
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
It moved like stick on the street. Damn it was awesome.

Hah, we didn't know we would be needing another one either. The plan was for the car to come back running.

I'll have to look at his slips to find out the 60'. I know that's what killed his first two runs. The last run he got a good launch, and it showed.

I would think the tensioner is fine. The belt was as tight as the day we put it on.

Edit: I forgot to mention something funny. My bud's dad had the worst case of dyslexia I have ever seen. The first pass, my bud ran a 13.3 @ 119. Well when the time came up, his dad went nuts saying "HELL YEAH! 11.9 at 133 first pass!" I was like..erm no. Was still pretty interesting to watch.

ciento44
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Sucks that you guys aren't closer. I have a side project that i think would be interesting against you guys, and it's a completely different approach than what you're doing. :hehe:

90CelicaST
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Oo Do tell. And I might tell you what else we have in the backyard. It's still Honda stuff.

ciento44
08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Oo Do tell. And I might tell you what else we have in the backyard. It's still Honda stuff.

ygpm. :smokin:

Colossus20v
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
sucks about the crx. Glad your going to fix it though.

Why dont the two of you get a room?

ciento44
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
sucks about the crx. Glad your going to fix it though.

Why dont the two of you get a room?

He's gotta catch me first.... :duh: :laugh: :burn:

90CelicaST
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Why dont the two of you get a room?:lolgay:

celica9303
08-06-2008, 03:32 AM
I had a b16a turbo hatch 90 and a 91 (wrecked one put the motor in the other one wrecked that 2 lol) it was a lot of fun I love my toyo though. Another hatch would be fun. Good luck on the rebuild

Murgatroy
08-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Damn Hondas...

First import I ever built was a `91 Integra B18 for a friend.

celica9303
08-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Lol