PDA

View Full Version : 96 gmc safari van steering wheel problem

gt_turbo
03-04-2005, 10:37 PM
does anybody have one of these and have had issues with the steering wheel lock? for example when you don't have the key in the ignition and you accidentally turn the steering wheel it will lock up. but on this van it is SO hard to unlock the steering wheel from the locked position. if you know what i'm talking about and have some tips or tricks how to unlock this BITCH, cuz my van has been sitting in my drive way for about a month now. i tried stickin the key in there and turning it wiggling it and even using a vice grip to help me get more torque on the turning the key but this piece of shit deseign from GMC sucks! bent up my key almost broke. this is the second time this happened the first time i had to call a shop to come tow it in and get the whole steering column replaced. i don't wanna do that again because it costs quite a bit. this is my first and probably last gmc i will ever own.

MoralWarfare
03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
stupid question, but you tried wiggling the steering wheel while tunrning the key, right?

gt_turbo
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
yea i've tried that. pretty much everything i could think of. stupid gm design. they should do a recall.