PDA

View Full Version : Might as well have one thread in here...Intro as well

OkieRA29
07-31-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi, I'm Ken and I am a celica-holic :wiggle: Here is my story

My first car was a black on black 77 GT LB. I drove it like a scalded cat. I buried the needle several times on both the PA and the MASS turnpikes. Finally, I sold it and started a foray into muscle cars. Eventually, I woke to the folly of my sale. I have been looking to replace her for almost 5 years. Here she is in all her glory, pardon the condition of the print.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/Celica1.jpg

Well time goes by and finally, I find two celicas, well actually some one I work with found them for me. After asking, we got the 'I am going to restore them' reply. Well, a couple of days goes by and my friend gets a call back. Owner is willing to sell, but will only sell both. Price makes my jaw hit the floor. I quickly pick it up and call him. Plans are made and money is exchanged. I am now the proud owner of a one owner 1977 Celica. Here she is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/whitecelica1.jpg

As you can see, she is a bit worse for the wear, but never fear, she came with this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/browncelica2.jpg

A parts car. This one is pretty much solid. There is some rust through on the lower rear quarters and on the hatch. Other than that most of it is surface. The front clip is nice and straight. The interior is tan and has all the pieces to fix the White's interior. Unfortunately, both dash pads are toast, but the brown one's is useable right now.
The owner bought the white one for his first wife and has had possession of it since. He is a toyota mechanic by trade, so that is reassuring. He did pull the fuel tank and empty the lines before storing the car. He also said that the engine still turns over easily.
My plan right now is to get the white one on the road as a driver and then worry about mods later. He has offered me a third 20R with under 30,000 miles on it for 250$. There is a wedge body celica across the street from me and I have thought about swapping that motor in down the road. Of course I would use one of the extra 20R heads I will have lying around :lol:

Here she is with the 'new' front sheetmetal hung. I need to do some fitting work, but at least she looks like a car again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/Celica%20Project/frontsheetmetal.jpg

I did get shocks and a new clutch slave cylinder. Now I just have to get them installed. Next up will be a new master cylinder. The front struts are okay, but I will most likely cut some coils out of the springs. Right now, the stock ride height is almost truck-like. Eventually, the cut springs will be replaced with actual lowering springs. I have been keeping my eye out for a cheap MK1 MR2 or an early 80s corolla to steal suspension parts from. I did get the carb linkage all sorted out and fit the intake on to make sure the linkage would work and not bind. I will need a new manual choke cable as the old one is rusted solid. That is not that hard to find, luckily. So here is the update for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/Celica%20Project/Weberinstalled.jpg

car
07-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Awesome, I hope everything goes well for you! Too bad you don't live closer to Chicago, a few weeks ago there was a pretty good looking 1st gen for $1500

OkieRA29
07-31-2008, 04:38 AM
Unfortunately, until I bought mine they were rarer than hen's teeth!!! In the last month I have seen three or four on craigs list in Oklahoma alone. Biggest worry with this one is the center console. By using parts from both I was able to come up with the lower half of the console, but not the upper half. I am gonna have to fab something up. I do have a couple of junkyards to go check out, but that will be a couple of weeks from now at least.

extremeskillz
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow, good luck with the restoration. Keep us all updated. 1st gens are sweet cars.

celicatrd93
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
good luck with everything. seems like some nice projects. will turn out great

partyball
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I am jealous lol. Good pick up and good luck restoring it.

VikingJZ
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
First gen :)

dups90gt
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Nice job! Keep us posted! 1st gens are sweet!

OkieRA29
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Haven't moved much on the project. Life has been way too busy. I did score a nice set of Mk1 MR2 seats for 10$ for both at the yard saturday. I also picked up some assorted rubber bits. Mainly hood to fender bumpers. I also discovered that the interior light from the same Mk1 MR2 is the exact same thing as the one in my 1st gen. I almost left with the 4A-GE from the MR2 as well.

PhillyDRFT
08-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Haha I can't tell you the lengths of which I am jealous at the moment. Good luck with your project. I hope to see it in full bloom soon!

Murgatroy
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Looks Good, welcome aboard.

I so desire a 1rst Gen of my own...

Ryan
09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
keep up the good work man. congrats on the find.

Shadowlife25
09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
+1 on the congrats. :) Don't be a stranger!

OkieRA29
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, there is still not much to report. I have begun stripping the parts car before I go any further on the keeper car. I want to be able to get the white car over to my house soon as that would make working on it much easier. The 30 minute drive is really cramping things. I did pick up some Mk1 MR2 seats for it. The rear of the parts car is now bare. Most of it is getting thrown out. The rear lights are broken, but the surrounds are decent. There is a lot of rust in the lower areas. I did get the parts car jacked up and on stands, so that makes it a bit easier to work on. Gustav, or rather what is left of him is coming through the state right now and causing weather issues. The cars did get tarps over them yesterday in preparation for the rain. The weatherstripping has been removed from the brown car and the stuff on the white one is shot. The brown car is donating the weatherstripping to the white car, but I have it in storage at the house right now. Kind of lengthly and not much said. Next update I will try to have something more substantial for you all!

19celica90
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Awesome, I hope everything goes well for you! Too bad you don't live closer to Chicago, a few weeks ago there was a pretty good looking 1st gen for $1500
was it red and on Craigslist? If so, that was mine :) I sold it two weeks ago :wiggle:

car
09-04-2008, 01:35 AM
was it red and on Craigslist? If so, that was mine :) I sold it two weeks ago :wiggle:

Maybe, but I think it was a bit more than two weeks ago. I hope they both went to good homes.

OkieRA29
10-09-2008, 11:37 PM
This one has stalled abit as I picked up a mkIII Supra the other week. I realized that this celica was going to be a long term project and I needed a second car quicker than this one was gonna be ready. Unfortunately, the Supra may turn out to be just as long a project as the celica. I have had it for three weeks now and have yet to get it started. I fear the fuel pump may be bad, but I just haven't had the time to work on it yet. I hopefully will get it sorted out this monday. I took the day off to do nothing else than work on the Supra. Hopefully, I will be burning rubber by tuesday

Shadowlife25
10-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Best luck with both cars. I look forward to seeing them progress. :)

OkieRA29
10-14-2008, 04:34 AM
I took a mental health day at work and boy am I ever glad I did. First, my friend and I went to check out a gen 3 celica GT (RA64). Great car, no rust to speak of. The engine seemed to have a miss when we first heard it run. We took it for a test drive and everything seemed good. My friend bought it... 150$ Clean title, strong 22-RE, nice clutch. No real squawks to speak of. We drove it 30 miles or so getting it back. I think once he gets it titled, he will have a great little example of the breed.

The big news of the day... We worked on the supra a bit. I really thought that the fuel pump was bad. Using a diagnostic wire we jumpered the terminals. Fuel pump was okay. After 30mins or so of screwing around with it, it still would not start. So I started checking the plug wires. I pulled plug one and stuck in a decent plug and told him to start it. I did not see a spark, but I heard a clicking noise. After some searching, I discovered the source of the clicking... the coil wire was disconnected from the distributor. Hooked that baby back up and here is the result

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/Celica%20Project/th_Supraruns.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v208/cgarman/Celica%20Project/?action=view&current=Supraruns.flv)

Shadowlife25
10-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Nice find! :D

So is that your in the supra? Always nice to put a face to the name. :)