PDA

View Full Version : I've been away a while, and I neeeeed help, please?

Frenchy
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
My intake gasket has sprung a leak, and I haven't a clue as to how to change it out.... my friend went to college to become a mechanic, well, he took 4 years of auto in high school, and two years in college, and never changed an intake gasket on a 4cyl engine, he can work on v8s all day long, but has no idea how to go about doing this for me... can anyone help me out?

Hookecho
07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
you could probably find a breakdown in the BGB. it would be a good idea for you to go to autozone and by yourself a manual.

you're going to have to remove the intake manifold in order to replace the gasket. there are a few things you will need to remove before hand in order to better gain access to the 6 bolts and 2 nuts that mount the manifold to the head. disconnect the battery cables, remove the air intake from the throttle body, disconnect the hoses from the manifold to egr, manifold to regulator, manifold to map sensor, and so on. be sure to label the hoses. remove the throttle cable from the tb and remove the bracket that holds it to the intake manifold. unplug the various sensor harnesses from the intake and tb. there is a harness to unplug under the intake manifold. it's connected to one of the runners. remove the valve cover then remove the bolts holding the fuel rail on. then unplug the injector harnesses and remove the injectors. then unbolt the manifold from the head.

that's all off the top off my head so if i missed something someone else will probably chime in.

Hookecho
07-29-2008, 09:35 PM
oh, there's also a support arm connected from the block to the manifold that will have to come off.

Frenchy
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I <3 you.

In a non gay way... just to let you know....

celica9303
07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Who needs a manual when you have hookecho.......

celicaGT90_05
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
yes, its pretty strait forward stuff, good luck. Oh yeah, hook is the man, where you been hidin hook?

maxwedge
08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Wow there is somthing seriously wrong with our schools if he can take 6 years of Automotive Tech and not know how to change an intake gasket.

Crasoum
08-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm an idiot don't mind me.

Luni
08-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Ive never gone to school for cars but Ive never seen one I couldnt wrench on.

You map it out in your head, and you start taking shit apart to get to shit you need to fix.

If this cat cant figure out how to change an intake gasket on a 5SFE, hes going to fail at auto mechanics.

Hookecho
08-02-2008, 06:00 PM
yes, its pretty strait forward stuff, good luck. Oh yeah, hook is the man, where you been hidin hook?

just been having the broke ass computer blues.