PDA

View Full Version : reducing engine clutter

Simonhla
07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
I have a 5sfe with automatic transmission and cruise control. As you can imagine that engine bay is pretty damn crowded. Is there anything in there that i can remove that is not important to free up some space (improving air flow around block etc) and hopefully saving some weight. Plus it would be nice if it looked a little clearer in there.

This may be a daft question because I know no one builds an engine to include useless parts but you never know........

I want to maintain ride comfort etc so there may be nothing I can lose except the cruise control (and would that really be worth it for just that?) but if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated. Oh...I should also say that i need to keep the heater/AC......

tekstep01
07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
cruise control is the first thing to go to clear up clutter, next would be the A/C... but you want to keep that. bundle all the wires in new slip tube. get rid of the bulky Air-Box, fab a cold-air or buy one if its avalible. but hands down, pull the whole motor, go over it with a fine tooth comb, clean everything! paint all that can be painted, with a high-heat proof paint. redo all vac hoses (bundle em' where possible) move the battery to the trunk! it really does improve the bay. then steam clean, sand, primer, the bay and re-paint it. it will look like a million bucks! and while you got the motor out get a 5-speed for it, then you will really know your driving a celica!
good luck with it, and have FUN! dont kill yourself, but get dirty!

celica91gts
07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
i personaly thought that the 5sfe has a lot of room under the hood. lol. look at nissans or mitsubishis.

Simonhla
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I really don't think there is much room under there but I will concede that I should have phrased my question a little better. I think what i meant to say was that the engine bay looks largely untidy and unsightly.

I have done a clean, paint and used wire looms to tidy things up. Still looks a bit pants though to be honest. Oh well.

Crasoum
07-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Power steering, move the battery to the trunk, cold air intake, that's about it, unless you want to do fab work.

tekstep01
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
whats up with the power steering? move it or what?, boot bat and all the rest im framiliar with, but power steering cleanup huh?

ciento44
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
whats up with the power steering? move it or what?, boot bat and all the rest im framiliar with, but power steering cleanup huh?

Remove it completely. :p

Lonestag
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, I see your in CA.
If you wern't, there is a whole EGR system in there that you don't need...

PhillyDRFT
08-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Well, I see your in CA.
If you wern't, there is a whole EGR system in there that you don't need...

:lolhittin Don't tell him that!

As for the other suggestions.

I would recommend against bundling vac hoses together. Wiring can get quite messy but you want vac lines assessable in case you ever need to remove, fix or install something involving them.

you can take a lot of time and do a very nice wire tuck. Which dependant on the engine and your time frame can be a quick weekend thing or an over the top headache to be wary before you attempt to relocate anything in the electrical system. I have a lot more room in the engine bay of my nissan than my celica ever did by the way!

I don't remember if the charcoal canister is in the front on the celica or not. My 5sfe has been out for way too long lol. Everything serves a purpose so I understand you feeling like you've asked an odd question but more or less you're asking what can I live without for the sake of cleanliness?

the big ones are Airbox, Cruse control, battery in the rear, replacing the header with an aftermarket or camry one. Those will be your biggest aesthetic changes to the engine bay.

Correct me if I'm wrong it's been a wile since i've been under a 5sfe but removing the cruse control will leave you with a miss-sized throttle cable that went to the original cruse box? And you should replace it with the throttle cable from an ST?

ciento44
08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
:lolhittin Don't tell him that!

As for the other suggestions.

I would recommend against bundling vac hoses together. Wiring can get quite messy but you want vac lines assessable in case you ever need to remove, fix or install something involving them.

you can take a lot of time and do a very nice wire tuck. Which dependant on the engine and your time frame can be a quick weekend thing or an over the top headache to be wary before you attempt to relocate anything in the electrical system. I have a lot more room in the engine bay of my nissan than my celica ever did by the way!

I don't remember if the charcoal canister is in the front on the celica or not. My 5sfe has been out for way too long lol. Everything serves a purpose so I understand you feeling like you've asked an odd question but more or less you're asking what can I live without for the sake of cleanliness?

the big ones are Airbox, Cruse control, battery in the rear, replacing the header with an aftermarket or camry one. Those will be your biggest aesthetic changes to the engine bay.

Correct me if I'm wrong it's been a wile since i've been under a 5sfe but removing the cruse control will leave you with a miss-sized throttle cable that went to the original cruse box? And you should replace it with the throttle cable from an ST?

It'll depend on which variant of cruise control he had. There's cable driven, and vaccuum driven.

Apparently, my cars have all been an anomoly in that they've all had vaccuum, and they were supposed to have switched to cable in 92.