PDA

View Full Version : AWD conversion

Project5sgtze
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
anyone ever hear of anyone succesfully doing a AWD conversion to the 5th Gen GT?

I know it's expensive, I searched the forums and went through three pages with no results...

schmooot
03-04-2005, 07:28 PM
anything is possible. But it won't be just a take-all-the-parts-off-one-and-put-on-the-other type thing. The alltrac unibody frame was designed differently, different stress points, different reinforcements, different measurements, as well as having an actual spot for the driveshaft. Successfully swapping would require major major fabrication work. It also would be iffy on the stability and safety aspect of things. In other words its not worth it. Why would you add all that weight to a gt? wouldn't just dropping a gte in it be better? Think about it, you take a motor that was built to drive more weight and another set of wheels, and drop it in a lighter car and only hook it up to one set. I see a power increase. Loss of traction maybe but a definite advantage on the power side of an alltrac or a frankenalltrac

Project5sgtze
03-04-2005, 07:41 PM
problem: torque steer.

we are upgrading the suspension, maybe we'll work on the ridgity of the frame more if we do decide to go with a conversion...

and yea.. i know that conversion would not be easy :( ... could be fun tho :D

ChrisD
03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3221

This was the 6th thread down in this forum, probably missed it. ;)

cms-gt4
03-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Step 1) Sell Current celica
Step 2) Use money to Buy Alltrac

That is how you convert a fwd celica to awd.

ChrisD
03-04-2005, 10:30 PM

:hehe: :bigthumbu

ocb_dave_ocb
03-05-2005, 12:46 AM

NICE :laugh:

Punisher
03-06-2005, 07:51 AM
You will notice (Project5SGTZE) that in my thread about the alltrac swap that going all-trac isn't worth it.. you add a LOT of fucking weight.. whether you convert or buy an all-trac.. so your power/weight ratio goes to shit and well ya.. nothing is really worth it.. better off running a '93 MR2 LSD tranny.. that way you atleast get LSD FWD.. with basically no extra weight. No lossed power.

fiveSFE
04-04-2005, 11:10 AM
well it would be cool to swap a 3sgte into a convertable and make it awd

Punisher
04-06-2005, 04:24 PM
yea it would also be cool if my gf would do a threesome.. But that won't happen and neither will a 3sgte powered all-trac convertible :)

Gary
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
anyone ever hear of anyone succesfully doing a AWD conversion to the 5th Gen GT?

I know it's expensive, I searched the forums and went through three pages with no results...

To answer your question,
No, I've never seen or heard about one
for the past 6-7 years in this community.
Only thing I have seen a lot is people that said
they are going to do it and they just disappeared.
There must be reasons for that.
Don't get me wrong, I know anything can be done
with money and time.
I also like to see a successful awd conversion
that has things done RIGHT.
(well, not my money, nor my time :D )

Drag0n
04-06-2005, 05:31 PM
i put my buddy's gt coupe and my all trac up on the lifts at work to compare and it is certainly doable with lots of fabrication and money in order for it to happen though, you would need a complete all trac to rip parts from, and it would probably cost less to fix the parts car all trac than to convert your car

Conrad_Turbo
04-06-2005, 07:41 PM

Damn...that should go in the archives.

gen5
04-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Seems like it would be cheaper to turn an alltrac into a convert. using a convert. parts car.
I'd still like to see some one with a 5th gen t-top liftback! :cool:

fiveSFE
04-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Seems like it would be cheaper to turn an alltrac into a convert. using a convert. parts car.
I'd still like to see some one with a 5th gen t-top liftback! :cool:

ttop liftback would look sexy

Arcias
04-07-2005, 05:41 AM

Sigged!

cms-gt4
04-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Lol.

Luni
04-08-2005, 05:38 PM
It was done once. Jeremy in washington did it to a 4th gen. He said nothing worked right, the custom suspension geometery didnt work, the car pulled, felt rickity, and he eventually pulled his engine and shit out of it and junked the car or some shit.

Obviously a 5th gen is different, but the nature of the work and fabrication is not. Id imagine you could definately do it and make it work, but youd have to be a fabricating/engineering genius to make it work correctly, OR youd have to hire one, and be prepared to pay out your ass for that to happen.

Like was said before, get an alltrac and do your twincharge setup to it. Hell you can even frankenstein a 5SGTE, supercharge and turbocharge that, and run it with a standalone. That would be awesome.

cms-gt4
04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Twincharge, do you mean as in supercharger and turbo working together? I have been concidering that myself for a while, I just have not figured out how to get them both the feed to the TB. I wonder if the the SC can flow enough as not to restrict the turbo.

Arcias
04-08-2005, 10:13 PM
That would be pretty awesome.

celicer
04-09-2005, 12:54 AM
i did it.. cost me around 5 grand just to do the custom work... its so fun though.. ifu have the money do it up...

Rayme
04-09-2005, 01:39 AM
I'll quote some one I can't remember here ...

how to swap a celica GT to AWD

1. Pop the hood
2. Unscrew the coolant cap
3. Remove the old car
4. Swap in the all-trac
5. screw teh cap back in

painless swap!

SlikSx
04-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Of course its possible - Neal Bates and TTR (Toyota Team Racing) managed to convert a late model Corolla to AWD using ST205 engine and running gear down here in Australia.

TTR Aust (http://www.toyota.com.au/rally04/articles/0,3650,subId%253D1280%2526sectionId%253D1274,00.ht ml)

They rally it as a prototype in the ARC.

EDIT: Difference is that this project is factory backed and would have access to top shelf engineering resources as opposed to us doing it in our backyards. :D

cms-gt4
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Millen and TRD also did it to a 7th gen, but as you said, engineers and materials and funds. It cost them hundreds of thousands to build thier car. I wonder if that was them asking about how to do an awd swap a few years ago on celica.net. :lolhittin

Luis C
04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I wonder if that was them asking about how to do an awd swap a few years ago on celica.net.

ROFLMAO.... :lolhittin :lolhittin

And yes, the best way to convert a 182/4 into a 185 is to sell one to buy the other.

Conrad_Turbo
04-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Twincharge, do you mean as in supercharger and turbo working together? I have been concidering that myself for a while, I just have not figured out how to get them both the feed to the TB. I wonder if the the SC can flow enough as not to restrict the turbo.

Feed it in parallel, not in series.