PDA

View Full Version : Here's an update on my car.

Hookecho
07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
i know i haven't been around as much the past couple months. computer crapped on me and i've yet to buy another.

anyway, i pulled the head off my 5sfe about 6 months in order to do some valve work and soon after work got slow and times got hard. not to mention i had to buy a new tranny for the wife's 02 626. so i had to put it on the back burner. now i'm back in the money and working a new job so all is good.

so, i decided to go ahead and tear down a fresh motor and have it bore aligned and balanced. just picked it up a couple days ago. i had .005'' milled from deck and another .010'' milled off the head. so that will raise my compression ration a bit. it will actually be closer to 10.5:1 then it was before. i have a set of 3sg valves but i haven't decided if i want to spend the money to have them cut in or not. the gains really won't be that great and i rather like the powerband the motor functions in right now. i'm also going to be utilizing a standalone ems. i'm going to bore the tb a bit and that will be the end of it for this motor. then i'll put it on a dyno and we'll all know what comes of it.

Colossus20v
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Maybe you should see about using Hooligan's Upgraded Intake Manifold from Partyball. It has a larger TB anyway. Just a thought and it would be cool to actually see his work pay off from years ago.

Your project sounds pretty cool and I'm glad your back more. :)

Mr Celica
07-29-2008, 04:03 AM
long time no see mang! sounds like you got your work cut out for you. can't wait to see how it progresses!

MrTurrari
07-30-2008, 06:50 AM
I would be tempted to put the valves in just because you are in there. You won't really notice a difference in power unless you get cams too but it only requires a 3 angle valve job and some cleaning up of the bowls and ports which you should probably do anyways. I never regretted putting oversized valves in even when I had the stock cams. It opens up the motor a little bit with no noticeable negative effects I ever found.

ciento44
07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
What do you have for exhaust setup?

Hookecho
07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I would be tempted to put the valves in just because you are in there. You won't really notice a difference in power unless you get cams too but it only requires a 3 angle valve job and some cleaning up of the bowls and ports which you should probably do anyways. I never regretted putting oversized valves in even when I had the stock cams. It opens up the motor a little bit with no noticeable negative effects I ever found.

i think it comes down to bang for the buck on the valve upgrade for me. i pretty much decided that a proper motor balance was more beneficial than having larger valves installed. btw, i do have cams, a 3 angle and a mild p&p. i think i would rather put that money towards a stand alone. i would be able to get more out of that. kinda of a poor mans trade off. you know what i mean.

Hookecho
07-30-2008, 10:34 PM
plus, i have yet to do anything in the way of suspension upgrades. which is really what i want to focus on now. so as soon as i get the motor back in that is where i'm heading as far as upgrades. i gotta make the dragon this year and stop being a bitch.

Hookecho
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
What do you have for exhaust setup?

right now i have the stock manifold, mandrel bent piping and a borla muffler. i had a camry header in it but it developed a nasty crack that runs vertically one of the runners. darndest thing i ever saw. i plan to just weld it and reinstall it. i may order a header and a universal converter as my new setup.