PDA

View Full Version : Front Strut/Brake Line

ssantos6981
07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Howdy fellow celicatech.com-ites. I'm in the process of replacing the strut cartridge and rear shocks on my 90 celica st. I've got no problem doing the job, just a quick question in which I couldn't find a clear answer for.

How do I disconnect the brake line from the struts themselves? I see the bracket welded to the strut and then a rusted out clip lookin thing on one side and than a nut on the other. Unfortunately the otherside is facing the strut/engine compartment which leaves little room to play.

Also, what are the standard size wrenches, is it the numbered sizes (9, 10, 11, etc...) or the fraction guys (3/4, 7/8, etc...)? As you might have guessed, I don't know the technical names.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

CriScO
07-28-2008, 07:50 AM
That clip just needs to be tapped off, a flathead screwdriver and a hammer will do the job. Afterwords the line will be free to feed through.

Also, what are the standard size wrenches, is it the numbered sizes (9, 10, 11, etc...) or the fraction guys (3/4, 7/8, etc...)? As you might have guessed, I don't know the technical names.
I've got a few choice comments, but I'll be nice and just answer the question. Those are US standard and Metric sizes. All Japanese cars (and most US cars after about 1985) use metric. The one with whole numbers.

91 Celica GT-S
07-28-2008, 12:47 PM
i like to use a pair of angled pliers grab on to the hook side of the clip and pull it right out, very easy. but you will need to disconnect the line at the caliper or the other hard line connection to run the brake line through and out of the strut.
Standard 3/4 7/8 (in inches) American
Metric 8mm 10mm 12mm the rest of the world (not really but u get the idea)

KoreanJoey
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Instead of disconnecting the line I cut a slot into the bracket so that I can pry it open and allow the brake line to come out without disconnecting the brake line.

extremeskillz
07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
^this is smart KJ. Replace the lines with stainless steel while your at it ;)

ssantos6981
07-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the excellent responses and info (woohoo for opting to buy the whole number (now I know it is metric) set rather than the fractions... only because I hate fractions). Well, guess the only thing left to do is get grimy.

Thanks again guys!!

KoreanJoey
07-29-2008, 07:09 AM
^this is smart KJ. Replace the lines with stainless steel while your at it ;)

Yes, stainless lines > rubber