PDA

View Full Version : Loud Squeel When I Lock My Wheel

AznKlique
07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I just had my timing belt changed at a Toyota dealer. As I was driving around the lot of the dealer i noticed a LOUD squeel coming from the engine whenever I turn my steering wheel all the way to one side.

The service rep said that I should drive it around for the weekend and if it's still occurring, bring it back on Monday. Well, I don't have time to bring it back on weekdays because I work and it's a huge inconvenience.

Right now, I'm narrowing the problem down to my power steering belt slipping when under high loads and hence the loud squeel. Can someone confirm this? Is there a way for me to tighten the drive belt? It's a rather thin belt that I have little access to from the hood. It looks like I'd have to access it from the passenger wheel well. What a pain.

Colossus20v
07-26-2008, 07:57 PM
tightening the belt may help. They also have that "No squeel" spray but I'm not a big fan of it.

Basically there is a tensioner pulley you can move up to tighten the belt tension. Im not positive about the 5sfe, but 4afe and 4age I just go in through the passenger wheel well.

From your description it very well could be the power steering. You may also want to check your power steering fluid and make sure that is up.

AznKlique
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I was looking at my Celica Repair Manual and I did notice an adjuster bolt for the 4afe engine, but the 5sfe doesn't appear to have that. All it has is a pivot bolt and an adjuster bolt that slides along a channel. Am I supposed to shove the pulley to tighten it as hard as I can and then lock the bolt down? What kind of design is that?!

Colossus20v
07-26-2008, 08:07 PM
The tensioner pulley moves up and down. When it is pressed against the belt it makes it tighter and when you move it away from the belt it makes it more loose. So you basically loosen the bolt then move the pully up and then tighten the bolt again.

celicaGT90_05
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
sounds like the belt slipping, your power steering is at full pressure when fully turned. It wont really make a squeel, more like a chirp, you'd know the difference. Since you just had the timing belt changed, they probably left too much slack on the drive belt and causing it to slip when you crank the wheel. Just dont tighten it too much or you can wear out your bearings on things like that pump early

Ads28
07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah i had this problem too just tighten up the belt and ull be good to go, just losen the one nut on the pump and push it up or towards the back of the car to tighten the belt, the tighten the nut and ull be good

AznKlique
07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Just wondering, will I need to remove any underbody panels for access?

celicaGT90_05
07-27-2008, 02:53 AM
to tension the drive belt for the PS? Nah, but you may want to remove the wheel. It's kind of a pain to tension that belt, and one of its mounting bolts is in an akward position