PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

ST185
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
So I'm trying to help my dad fix his problem on his mustang and nothing I do seems to work. For some reason the fan never wants to turn on. I have checked the connections, checked all the fuses, and I have even used some jumper wires on it and it works fine but it doesn't turn on when the engine is running.

My dad was thinking it was the thermostat or something.

Anybody have any ideas on what it could be?

by the way its a 97 3.8L V6

Murgatroy
07-25-2008, 11:08 PM
There is a switch, a thermostat switch that turns the fan on at a certain temp.

If it isn't turning on, the switch is most likely blown, or a relay is blown for the switch.

The easiest fix is to hardwire the fan to an ignition hot. It is a safe, reliable fix.

Every Mustang I have ever owned has had the fan hardwired.

ST185
07-25-2008, 11:13 PM
do you happen to know where the relay is located? If it is hardwired wont the fan be on all the time or does it still have to get power from the pcm

CriScO
07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
do you happen to know where the relay is located? If it is hardwired wont the fan be on all the time or does it still have to get power from the pcm

Only while the car is running, hence the "ignition hot" Murg spoke of. There shouldn't be any problems with running the fan the entire time the car is on. You can always wire in a switch, but you risk overheating if you or your dad forget to turn it on.

He is right on the cause as well. Old Fords love to blow that fan switch and the relays, and from what you're describing this is exactly what happened. Best option to get it to normal would be to get the fan switch and relays through Ford and just replace them all. American cars usually aren't as picky as our Toyotas when it comes to electronics, but aftermarket components still tend to be of lower quality.

JEDI
07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
There is a switch, a thermostat switch that turns the fan on at a certain temp.

If it isn't turning on, the switch is most likely blown, or a relay is blown for the switch.

The easiest fix is to hardwire the fan to an ignition hot. It is a safe, reliable fix.

Every Mustang I have ever owned has had the fan hardwired.

I Agree