PDA

View Full Version : Funny Mechanics

Colossus20v
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
So Murg knows about my troubles from last night, but anyway. Basically I hit a bump in the road and the car completly died on me. Tried to start it back up and nothing. Anyway, Im thinking fuel pump because its not sounding like its pumping or anything. I cant tell for sure if spark is getting to it but it is seeming like it.

Anyway long story short. There was a wiring problem. One of the ingnitor wires I guess grounded out. I had the car towed to a little Shell Service station right down the road from where I moved in Nashville.

Conversation went something like this:
Mechanic guy: Well we got your car running.
Me: Oh great. What was wrong with it?
Mechanic guy: Well there seemed to be a wire problem in the harness.
Me: Oh. Well great. Im glad its working again.
Mechanic guy: Well its running and idling fine. But it doesnt really seem to have as much power as it should.
Me: Oh well. Its only a 1.6l engine. It doesnt have a lot of power.
Mechanic guy: Sir, you have a 2.0liter or something in that car.
Me:(realizing that he must be refering to the 20 on the valve cover) No, the engine is a 20v 1.6l engine.
Mechanic guy: Sir, I had to use the wiring diagram for a 2.0l engine and that is what fixed it.

I then remembered that my lil 20v shares a lot of ignition components from the 3sgte and therefore he must of used that diagram and also thought my engine had 200hp or something.

Me: I see. Well thank you very much for looking at it. I will be there in a little bit.

Car runs fine, just like it did. I was thinking about going back down and asking for the Turbo and the extra .4l/s back. :) Its fun taking a swapped 20v celica to mechanics. :)

Murgatroy
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Everybody's funny. Now you funny too...

Glad it is alright. It is all good now right?

I told you to check spark. :hehe:

celicaGT90_05
07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
no dude the v means litre's :laugh:

Colossus20v
07-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok and if I checked spark, then what? Pull apart your harness and find the bad wire. :)

I kind of hate this move in that respect. I have only a few mechanics tools here and no where to work on the car. I cant even change my wheels anymore or do a simple oil change here. :(

Murgatroy
07-25-2008, 10:23 PM
True.

I am glad you got it taken care of though.

Colossus20v
07-25-2008, 10:40 PM
It was funny because I was trying to figure out what this guy was talking about and what the issue was. Then he is trying to tell me I have a 2.0l engine and it doesnt have as much power as it should.

Definitely a funny morning.

Murgatroy
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
He didn't rev it high enough. :hehe:

Colossus20v
07-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Well when I told him it doesnt really see any power until 4-5k rpms I'm sure he was thinking I was crazy because the tach only goes to 8k. Wonder what he would have done if I told him it reaches max Hp at 7800rpms.

:) That would have been quite funny. I love my 20v 3sgte. :)

Murgatroy
07-26-2008, 02:56 AM
I am kinda wanting to get another ST so I can swap a 20v.

I need to do something with Mudhoney, her angry monkey with a hammer turned into an angry monkey drumline the other night... And she still runs.

CriScO
07-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I need to do something with Mudhoney, her angry monkey with a hammer turned into an angry monkey drumline the other night... And she still runs.

And she always will! For the last 10k miles the coupe has routinely seen the redline and has basically lived by the "drive it like you stole it" rule. And those 10k miles are the ones between 210 and 220k! I'm still amazed at the punishment a 3S-FE will take. They may get a little crippled, but they just don't die.

So preach on my fourth gen brother! :)

Cavanagh
07-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Wait, wait what?! You in Nashville? Since when? What did i miss?

Murgatroy
07-26-2008, 08:10 AM
He moved to Nashville and got married.

Keep up man.

He is one of us Tennessee folks now. I guess he is gonna grow a beard and get a Rebel Flag belt buckle too now... It is kinda the uniform...

JEDI
07-26-2008, 08:57 AM
He moved to Nashville and got married.

Keep up man.

He is one of us Tennessee folks now. I guess he is gonna grow a beard and get a Rebel Flag belt buckle too now... It is kinda the uniform...

LOL

VikingJZ
07-29-2008, 05:06 AM
Just the good ole boys....never meanin no harm...

I had a mech tell me once that the serpentine belt on my old 5S was too hard so I should drop a 305 in it.

FAIL

tuner4life
07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
^ Was that who I think it was?