PDA

View Full Version : (Likely a ) Stupid fender question...

Fuelish
07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Having had, on seperate ooccasions, both of my front fenders dented in (drivers side seriously dented)..... bodyshop's talking $1400 for just driver's side :rolleyes: ) . So, in looking over their estimate sheet, I notice they have "fender, convertible" listed as the replacement. I realize that the verts have the silly "mud flaps" mounted, and my question is thus - did they actually make seperate vert fenders and regular (non-vert GT, ST) fenders, or will the mud flaps mount onto any narrow body fender ? Haven't taken the time to pull them to see how they mount, am wondering if I truly need a specific vert fender to mount them ??? I've never really noticed if they have them as an option or whatever on other 5th gens....have just never noticed - hence, my stupid-question-of-the-week ;) At this point, am thinking of finding a couple of good condition front fenders, get 'em painted, and install them myself. I'd just like to be able to put the flaps back on without rigging them .... or, I suppose I could remove the rears as well, but dunno how that would look with the black plastic bottom "panel" they slap on the verts that runs from fender to fender - might look half-assed.
ANYway, hope this made some sense and hopefully someone can give me an idea. Is a narrow body front fender just a fender, or are there certain (vert) fenders that have the mounting areas for the flappers ????? I could've slapped that fool that hit my car while I was in Home Depot buying paint !!!!!:( Lucky for me, he stayed and I filed a police report and got his insurance info. I might just take the money and do this myself, if possible.

Murgatroy
07-25-2008, 09:15 PM
The fenders are all the same for narrowbody.

The ST and GT came with mudflaps too.

Fuelish
07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
The fenders are all the same for narrowbody.

The ST and GT came with mudflaps too. Hey, Murg, thanx for the reply....very well, then, twas what I was hopin'. I very well may just take the insurance $$$ and DIY it ..... any word on yer widebody fender plans ?? Just wondering, ya know ;)

85gtsblackman
07-27-2008, 12:39 AM
WAIT, the fenders for the vert are differnt at the very bottom

if u put a st/gt fender on you will have to do some cutting and you will want oem mudguards on there

Murgatroy
07-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Really?

I remember you swapped fenders on your `vert before you sold it, so I don't doubt you, I just don't comprehend the logic in this.

Does it have to do with the reinforced bracing from chopping the top off maybe?

ciento44
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
The mudguard mounting positions are very slightly different. Which is also why if you put convertible sideskirts on a non-vert, it doesn't line up quite right with the front mudguards.

Is it something to be REAL worried about? Nope.

Fuelish
07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
WAIT, the fenders for the vert are differnt at the very bottom

if u put a st/gt fender on you will have to do some cutting and you will want oem mudguards on there That's what I was afraid of ... My oem mudguards are fine, dunno if I want to have to resort to cuttin', and all, though.

Does it have to do with the reinforced bracing from chopping the top off maybe? That'd be my guess - I've always assumed that's the reason for the oddball black "skirt" .....covering up where they cut in and added reinforcement ??? I have no idea .... I'm glad the police showed up quickly after the guy hit my car, or I might've beaten him to death with a gallon of MountainDew colored Home Depot paint right there in the parking lot ;) I was pissed, still am.... oh, well, shtuff happens :(

85gtsblackman
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
not much cutting, all u need is a small electric or air blade type cutter,

Fuelish
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
not much cutting, all u need is a small electric or air blade type cutter, Hmmmmmmmmmm ... my father in law (who doesn't live very far away ;) ) owns just about every tool known to man, doesn't seem to matter if he needs 'em or not...LOL. Perhaps he would have just what I need. Thanks for the info, folks ....

tekstep01
07-29-2008, 08:29 AM
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! feels a hellava lot better than having some babboon fart all up in you car, and do a bad match on the paint, besides every time you fix your car by yourself your penis gets a mm. bigger, and females are more likely to Notice your "pres-scents" (Scientific Fact!)

Carolina91GT-S
08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Take the $1400 check, buy new fenders, new corner lights, tail lights, fake CF pieces, put all those on yourself, and then get a decent respray.

METDeath
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
^x2

Do the work yourself, you'll find out more about the car, and save a bunch on labor.