PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me the part # for tune up parts.

liplip
07-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Fuel filter, dizzy cap, rotor, spark plug wires all for 90 celica gt.How hard is it to change those? I'm not so car inclined.I've only done oil change, change spark plugs, replace the charcoal canister.

airoscar
07-24-2008, 05:56 AM
not hard, hayne's manual cover all of those. but better do it with a mechanic friend standing beside.
but i don't see the point in changing all those if things are running ok, and the shops don't charge much to do those.

liplip
07-24-2008, 06:40 AM
Actually, my car has been sputerring sometimes lately.When i went to gas earlier, the car would crank but not turn over.Once it turned over, it died after a second.When i was cranking, the car was shaking.It took like 10 mins to get it to start and it was sputtering like hell.I pulled over because there was no response when pressing the gas(its an automatic).I turn off the car, turned it back on with no hesitation and was able to drive fine.This has just started happening a week ago and its only happened a couple of times.Looks like i have a gas leak somewhere but not the gas tank because i had that changed a year ago.Could a leak from the line cause that issue?

Galcobar
07-24-2008, 07:06 AM
The fuel filter can be very difficult as the lower nut is typically in an area very difficult to access, but if you want to go after it there's a sticky in the fifth-gen forums under "info you should know."

As for the cap, rotor and wires, they are fairly easy to change. However, the 1990 is a bit tricky as there was a change to the ignition design partway through the production cycle. You'll want to have your VIN available or make a note of your car's production date (sticker on the door will have it).

Call the dealership and give them your VIN and they should be able to provide you with the parts.

liplip
07-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I just found that my battery seems to be leaking from the cap.Checked the fluid level and it was low so i filled it yesterday and i haven't had my problems again.Brought the car to the mechanic and they couldn't find anything wrong.Also, i told them that i can smell fuel when i'm driving and i can see fuel coming from underneath my car when its raining yet they didn't find a leak.

dups90gt
07-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Wow, you better take it to another mechanic, that doesn't sound healthy if you smell fuel. Tune ups not hard, changed mine with crappy tire parts and it runs fine. Fuel Filter is a bitch to remove! you gotta be real small to get at it! took me the better part of an afternoon getting it off! 10 mins to put the new one in. Good Luck!