PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer cable removal/installation

capncelica
07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Well my brother just joined me in owning a celica and just bought himself a 91 GT-S for a good deal. Minor things wrong though one being his speedometer doesn't work. Im guessing the cable is broken and i was wondering what the easiest way to remove and install a new cable is (As my Haynes manual skips over it :wtf: ) I heard that the cables are in 2 pieces so would i only have to replace 1 cable or replace both. any advice??

sloceli
07-24-2008, 12:13 AM
The most common part that fails is the lower cable. The easiest way to repair it would be to remove the cross members and snake your arm up from the bottom. It screws into the top of the transmission. Unscrew it from the transmission taking care not to lose the key then at the connection near the firewall. Its a foam rubber covered cable with about an inch connection joint with the upper cable. The cable should run you about $15 from www.1sttoyotaparts.com

airoscar
07-24-2008, 02:28 AM
i just did it, i think it's easier if you remove battery and air filter and reach from top.
the cable is thick and has a electric wire connector that sits right beside it.
the end of the cable has like a cap that screws on to the tranny, if it is tight you might wanna reach in with a small plier and grab that cap and unscrew it.
But i'm pretty sure it's in hayne's manual as i recall the manual says to replace the o-ring on the cable.

capncelica
07-25-2008, 03:54 AM
yea i was trying it today and it seems you can get a hand in to unscrew it (barely) so i think i'm gonna try to do it that way first. but i'll have to look in my haynes manual again....wheres the cheapest place to get the lower cable? preferably online....thanks alot for your help!!!

Shadowlife25
07-25-2008, 04:07 AM
yea i was trying it today and it seems you can get a hand in to unscrew it (barely) so i think i'm gonna try to do it that way first. but i'll have to look in my haynes manual again....wheres the cheapest place to get the lower cable? preferably online....thanks alot for your help!!!

See post #2. ;)

capncelica
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
See post #2. ;)

shipping is as much as the actual part ?? :wtf:

brak
07-25-2008, 04:46 AM
go to your local dealership, might have to wait a day or two, but you'll save on shipping.

1sttoyota is just dealer parts, shipped to your door, (some dealerhip in WA iirc), but the site is great for tracking down the correct name, and availability, from the comfort of home. there's nothing worse than standing at the parts desk for an hour trying to explain to the guy "it's the little triangle thing, that mounts on the back side of the dealy".

capncelica
07-25-2008, 04:54 AM
go to your local dealership, might have to wait a day or two, but you'll save on shipping.

1sttoyota is just dealer parts, shipped to your door, (some dealerhip in WA iirc), but the site is great for tracking down the correct name, and availability, from the comfort of home. there's nothing worse than standing at the parts desk for an hour trying to explain to the guy "it's the little triangle thing, that mounts on the back side of the dealy".

you make a valid point :bigthumbu thanks guys