PDA

View Full Version : 4afe head replacment help

91stxcelica
07-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Im going to be changing the head on my 4afe soon, was wondering if someone could give me some tips as this will be my first time doing this.

Any special way i should go about doing this? what should i set the torque wrench too when putting the head bolts in?

thanks! any info that will help this go smooth and trouble free is welcome.

thank you.

balagast
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
having done this on my GT last summer. As a general tip get your self a bunch of zip lock baggies, masking tape and a sharpie. all the bolts etc that you take off put in a baggie and label. Any vacuum lines you remove wrap a piece of masking tape around and number (or label) and then do the same and put the same label on the spot you took the line from. This will make putting everything back together 10000x easier.

91stxcelica
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Can someone find the torgue specs for the 4afe headbolts? thats my main concern, im worryed i wont tighten them down enough or i will tighten them too much, i dont want it to leak.

balagast
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
The BGB says 44ft-lbs for the 4afe ...

the whole removal install procedure is listed here:
http://www.celicatech.com/93rmsour/1993/93celica/em/em.htm

airoscar
07-24-2008, 06:06 AM
make sure you know the torque sequence befor eyou start budd.
i'm doing this to my 5sfe, it's kind of a big job i had to remove a lot of things just to get to the head, so i'm just gonna change everything that i can get out altogether, like timing belt, water pump, and i'm thinking to get a new steering pump too since the old one is just too old. And for an old car like mine, i'm replacing all the rubber part all along (seals, gaskets, drive belts, etc) just so i don't have to remove timing belt and everything all over again. and don't forget the valve stem seals in the head.