PDA

View Full Version : i swear to god this is a pic of one of our members celicas.

celica91gts
07-23-2008, 07:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__90-93-Celica-FMIC-piping-KIT-st185-3sgte-Alltrac_W0QQitemZ200241049999QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20Tru ckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZView Item?hash=item200241049999&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318#ebayphotohosting

CriScO
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
It was COTM sometime since I joined. I remember that pic. Couldn't tell you who's it is, though.

celicatrd93
07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
heheehhe thats bongs celıca. that ıs hıs pıc of hıs motor. ı wonder does he know about thıs?

celica91gts
07-23-2008, 09:24 AM
donno. i was just like.... looks very familiar, i saw it on the inter cooler thread a lil while ago.

Shadowlife25
07-23-2008, 09:42 AM
I love how these people on E-Bay think it's ok for them to just outright steal images of other peoples vehicles for their own use and profit.

I think Bong should send E-Bay an e-mail with date stamped pics and ask them to remove this guys listing.

Theft is theft. I don't care that nothing physical is taken. It upsets me.

/rant

Ryan
07-24-2008, 01:01 AM
^+1

celicaGT90_05
07-24-2008, 02:53 AM
heh, when I get stuff put onto my car thats worth while to take, I think Im gonna label them across the car in the pics for where ever I post them, that way its kinda obvious

Cavanagh
07-24-2008, 03:03 AM
This same ordeal happened to itsoktosmokev8s. Ya, its not right, but i doubt Bong can do anything now that he doesnt own the car, unless he can prove it is his picture.

85gtsblackman
07-24-2008, 03:06 AM
yoy guys never seen the ebay peeps use claytons car? used to bee all over

Shadowlife25
07-24-2008, 03:26 AM
I remember. Thieves FTL.

celica9303
07-24-2008, 03:36 AM
I let him know

T-spoon
07-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Although - to play devil's advocate for a second - the actual harm to Bong and anything actually taken from him to term it theft is little to none, so it's not a huge deal, aside from the credit not being given to him. However, I don't think he fabbed the IC pipes himself so... ehhhhh. I do agree it's not really cool to just use peoples' pics, but it's also kind of... shrug... in this case. If he were claiming the car was his own or in some way trying to take something from Bong it'd be a different story IMO.

Frankly I'd be more concerned with the fact that it's not an actual picture of his product than that the picture was used without permission.

VikingJZ
07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Another issue is that, while this isn't ethical, it is actually legal. Private images loaded onto a public forum for display to the public are free use images. You waive your copyrights by uploading shit to Myspace, Facebook, CarDomain, forums, etc.

That image was out there and on here way before Robb made it so you have to log in to see the forums. In that case, it would be a private and member's only forum.

VikingJZ
07-24-2008, 03:52 AM
But by no means am I condoning this. Just to be clear. Its BS that they do it and they can get away with it.

AOMills
07-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, CT. I'm AO, the photographer. And it is indeed illegal for them to use my photos for commercial purposes without expressed permission. You guys rock.

CriScO
07-24-2008, 07:05 AM
^ We have a winner. They're using it to sell a product, which is a violation of international copyright law. Posting on a public forum allows anyone to use the image for non-commercial purposes only.

bongbbreakin
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
that is my old car, and AO took those pics, haha, can't believe you found this thread... your welcome for the call earlier. trying to figure out what procedures to take so we can get this taken care of

celica91gts
07-24-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah, i scan ebay every now and then for any miscellaneous parts. for once i saw something sexy and clicked on it. hahah im still sad you sold that car bong

VikingJZ
07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Ah non commercial.

I knew it was something like that...thanks for clarifying.

Throw the issue to Ebay and see if you get more than just an automated or canned response.

Can you call them?

The Ebayer is in the States, so try reaching them and inform them of the law and possible consequences.

Gary
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
The seller 91_alltrac is BayAreaGT4.
You can just PM him.

Trance4c
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh oh.. so BayArea is trying to sell his FMIC setups with Bongs image?

Besides all that has been said... wtf? Isn't BayArea an alltrac.net guy? I mean, come on.. there has always been so much hubbub about 'ah we're the true alltrac guys, we like our alltrac.net' and now, one of their users is using an image from a ctech individual???

Anyone else see the irony in that?

Oh ya, an +1 for what Joe said, images of my car have been stolen by many companies - VisRacing, BFGoodridge, Erebuni, and many more others that are not such big names for me to remember off the top of my head, but those are the big players that I recall.

So, what I gather from this thread is that none of them were to use the images for their commercial purposes??

celica9303
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
That's correct trance. Welcome AO, your welcome I told bong last night glad to help a fellow toledotuner and friend

celica9303
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
That is a bayarea fmic kit in the pic

cms-gt4
07-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Isn't BayArea an alltrac.net guy? I mean, come on.. there has always been so much hubbub about 'ah we're the true alltrac guys, we like our alltrac.net' and now, one of their users is using an image from a ctech individual???

He is on at.net but he gets a lot of flack from Rob for selling on the site.

I just happen to be bi-forum... err, celi-curious, um... toyot-estite... wait that's not right.

Crasoum
07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Another issue is that, while this isn't ethical, it is actually legal. Private images loaded onto a public forum for display to the public are free use images. You waive your copyrights by uploading shit to Myspace, Facebook, CarDomain, forums, etc.

That image was out there and on here way before Robb made it so you have to log in to see the forums. In that case, it would be a private and member's only forum.

Huh? You only give up your copyright when it states so in the EULA, and that hasn't even been proven in court (no one with deep enough pockets I assume). But just because you make your picture public doesn't mean you waive copyright. That'd be like saying just because they play a song on the radio that the song is in public domain and anyone can copy it.

Shadowlife25
07-25-2008, 01:31 AM
He is on at.net but he gets a lot of flack from Rob for selling on the site.

I take it you mean Robert from AT.net?

That being said, (and I don't care who sees this) I think he should remove said image and issue a public apology. (here where EVERYONE can see.)

I see it as blatant abuse of a public forum, and on top of that (as if it weren't bad enough) a community that is pretty damn small. I would break out the BMFBS (Big Mother ******* Ban Stick) if it were up to me, solely to dis-allow him the luxury of communicating with other community members. From what I've read about the quality of his work, it leaves much to be desired. ESPECIALLY for the premium freakin' price tag he's charging. Receiving a "bolt on" part/kit that requires extensive modification (having to get the inter-cooler inlet pipe re-welded to the correct angle comes to mind) is complete BS. He is an individual. NOT A COMPANY. I will stick by that until he provides proof. ( a fictitious business statement and proof of fees paid to the county and state would suffice.) It may sound a bit harsh, but then again so is stealing. Anyone who he has stolen images for profit from should take him to small claims court. Not sure how that would work, but if he can't be bothered to take his own damned pictures of whatever he is selling:
HE HAS NO BUSINESS SELLING IT.

Trance4c
07-25-2008, 01:36 AM
^

I'm of that thought too