PDA

View Full Version : Car painting question.

zmile06
07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here paints cars but anyways. I'm going to paint a car with my uncle in a month or two (once i get all the body parts etc.) I was wondering if you should use wax remover and polishing before you paint the car? I'm not sure if thats even needed if your going to sand the car anyways.

Just curious.

Galcobar
07-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Wax remover, yes -- even if you sand, the wax particles can be deposited back onto the remaining paint.

If you're doing a comprehensive sanding job with most of the paint being removed, polish isn't necessary. However, using one to refresh the remaining paint is often a good idea to prevent oxidation from below. If you do use a polish, make sure to choose one that specifies it as body-shop safe, meaning it does not leave a residue which can prevent the layers of paint from bonding.

maxwedge
07-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes definitly wash it and wipe it down with wax remover or similar product, before sanding or doing any body work. Otherwise you are just ginding all the wax residue, grease and contaminates into the surface and it can cause serious adhesion problems with the new paint. Do do not polish it. Most polishes have solvents, oils, silicone,wax, etc in them, none of which helps paint stick well.

zmile06
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm polishing it every other week for now just to get the crap off the car. That way it will be clean before i sand it to hell and back.

I'll be doing the majority of the sanding, and i think this is maybe the THIRD paint job. So i will be telling my uncle we need to sand it either down to the original primer or a lot of the paint. He's also going to bondo the dents and stuff. They aren't that deep, so not really much of a reason to pull them out. If they do crack he will just have to fix it later so I'm not worried about it.

The rear quarter have a little rust on the bottom coming from the inside. Those are going to be gridded to hell and primed good. Other then that the car is clean. Just need some TLC.