PDA

View Full Version : So, Time for a new engine (5FSE)

Lonestag
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I guess it's about time to find myself a new engine for the GT.
I would really appreciate some input on several points.

1, Where is a good place to source these engines? So far the best I've found is one with about 50k miles for $900 about 7 hours away from me, which means freight is going to be a bitch. I'm open to all options (including pulling one from a yard) I'm more looking for advice.

2, I know i'm not super original, but I'm going to do my best to emulate MrTurrari's version of a performence build as posted over in the NA performence forum. That said, I need to find a shop to do some of the machine work for me (lets just assume I can't find one locally) so does anyone have any suggestions of decently priced machine shops in the Ohio-Westen PA areas?

3, I know this is a stupid question, once again. But assuming that I have no real tools (ratchets only) what would you guys strongly suggest I begin investing in?

Honestly, I'm a bit daunted by the project, but it's somthing I don't mind giving an insane amount of time and most of my money to.

That said, I'm REALLY interested in all of your advice.

Thanks,
-Eli

H8PVMNT
07-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Don't be afraid, rebuilding engines is really easy! You need a decent service manual, a couple of precise measuring tools, a piston ring compressor, tourque wrench and a cheap engine stand.

An inexpensive chain hoist roped to your garage rafters will do for an engine hoist. After that just choose your parts wisely follow directions...

Simonhla
07-18-2008, 08:36 PM
By no means an exper on this but i just went through something similar. I blew the engine on my 92 gt (thanks to Wifey not changing the oil over the years and letting it over heat) so I started to look around at replacement options.

The cheapest direct replacement i found were JDM with about 50k on them approx. Problem is these places advertise the JDM 5sfe which doesn't actually exist. The JDM replacement for the 5sfe is the 3sfe. If you are happy to lose a little power (it's the same engine but has a 2L displacement as opposed to the 2.2L for the 5sfe) then these are a good cheap option. Cheapest area I found was around 600 plus shipping.

My feeling on buying JDM engines is that we really don't know how many miles they have on them and even though they may look good on the outside they can turn up and be fairlyjunk on the inside. There is a limited warranty for a period but it's not going ot cover you far. I always felt that I would only want to buy an engine from a local dealer so that I could inspect it myself before hand and do a compression test. Plenty of people here may disagreee with me though as i know they have bought engines online.

I also looked at the 3sgte swap but with the price for a full clip and the labor involved I decided against it. Too rich for me.

In the end I decided upon a full rebuild of the 5sfe and a new rebuilt transmission for it too. Having a shop do the machine work and supply the rebuilt parts mean that I have a two year warranty on some bits and I know i essentially have a brand new engine. if you're planning to do it yourself totally then i have no wisdom to give you......but good luck and let us know how it goes.....