PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy paint?

Lonestag
07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I know it's kinda a stupid question, but I have no idea where to buy color matched paint for toyota paint codes. (Actually, I'm not even %100 sure where the paint codes are). All I know is that I'm trying to get some practice in on my tercel before I have to paint the GT, and I really would like it to come out somewhere close to semi-proffesional.

So yeah, where do you buy paint, and any other advice on the topic is REALLY helpful.

-Also, I'm really trying to get into using a hvlp gun as apposed to cans of sprey paint...

MCcelica
07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
www.automotivetouchup.com

They can search by color code (Found on driver door jamb), or by drill down menu. They will send you what matches factory spec, so if your paint is faded, you'll either have to paint the whole thing, or take a crash course on blending. There you can order aerosols, or hvlp. You can also get clear coats and various other things like buffing compounds etc. Hope that helps.

lburner
07-19-2008, 06:42 AM
from your sig..... its looks like u have Medium Red Pearl (3H4)..

as for where to buy paint offline i would go with http://www.paintscratch.com/ or u could go to a paint and body shop around u they should be able to mix it for u

and info and painting a car http://www.learnautopainting.com/

Lonestag
07-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks a bunch for the help guys!
Actually the paint is for a tercel, I'm definatly not going to have my first attempt at paint go on a car as pretty (pretty in my mind at least) as my celi.

I have heard that NAPA can mix paint. And they might give me a little help blending it for the age. Though i'm sure doing it online would be cheaper. So i'll look into both.
Thanks.

PhillyDRFT
07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Use a single stage enamel for your first time painting. It will be a LOT less of a headache than dealing with a 2 stage basecoat/clearcoat. Especally since you don't have a paint booth.

Another trick for doing it outside is to clean the car very very well then cover it up overnight, Get up and paint early in the morning. Around sunrise if possible. Theres a nice point where there isn't much condensation and there aren't many bugs out yet. You'll have to know that by your area. But it's a very helpful step.

Local sherwin williams places mix very good auto paint. not all stores will but they can tell you which do. If you goto a body shop you may be upcharged a little but it's worth it if you're matching.

lburner
07-20-2008, 11:57 PM
when your done painting let me know how it went..