PDA

View Full Version : 87gt celica conv HELP!!!

sumbuddie
07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
The truth is i love my car and it wasnt a horrible deal... $500 its a gt conv 5 speed with a top that leaks which inst the most of my worries.

Ive already replaced shock struts,bled the brakes,new air filter. and i go to take it for a test drive and it runs okay but prob about 1/2 a mile from my house it starts almost shuttering until it stalls out.
I could get it started again but only to do the same thing three feet later...

It almost felt like the engine wasnt getting enough gas so i replaced the fuel filter but the problem still occurs.... ANY suggestions will help THANK U

Rick89GTS
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Will it fire up and then die out, or not start up at all?

CriScO
07-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Check all the ignition components first; cap, rotor, plugs, wires. If that all checks out, test the fuel pressure.

Those are kind of general things to check when you're experiencing stalls, but any additional info would help us get more specific. For instance, how long has the car not been running? It could be old gas. Does it crank strong when you try to restart after it dies? Maybe the alternator's fried and you're running off the battery. How long after the car fully warmed up did it happen? The IAC valve could be malfunctioning.

So anything else you could tell us would be helpful, otherwise we'll just theorize forever...

sumbuddie
07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah it will fire up and somtimes it will stay running. but when it on the road it will have your normal{awesome toyota celica power**when im hitting the gas<then it just about looses everything but it will stay running no problem.. untill i hit the gas

sumbuddie
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
i pretty much have to be in neutral for it to stay running... sometimes 1st gear goes alright, second gear is where it usually starts two stall or bog down as if i have no power... and it will crank strong.. once i replaced the air filter...
does anyone think that an oxygen sensor might have anything to do with it

sumbuddie
07-18-2008, 11:55 PM
AHH I LOVE INTUITION it was the oxygen sensor... thanks for eveything guys/gals!!!

Rick89GTS
07-19-2008, 05:08 AM
Hehhe, you solved your own problem, gotta like that :D
Good info to keep in the back of your head...